How to read AppleInsider in iOS 9's News application

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple chose to highlight AppleInsider content in its new News app at this year's WWDC keynote, so it should come as no surprise that you can add us as a source in News after updating your iPhone or iPad to iOS 9.

Adding AppleInsider is simple: Just open the News app, choose the Search menu, then type in our name. AppleInsider will show up as the top hit, and simply tapping on it will add us to your feed.

Once you subscribe, all the latest breaking Apple news will appear under the "For You" menu. You can also view our stories specifically by selecting "Favorites" and tapping on AppleInsider.

It should be noted that currently in iOS 9, there appear to be issues with a number of websites, including ours. For example, not all stories we publish appear in the News app, which relies on our RSS feed.

Our feed is following Apple's best practices policies, and we've reached out to the company in an effort to fix the launch bugs. But considering these same problems plague other sites, users should simply be aware that kinks related to News are still being worked out.

Apple featured AppleInsider in the News app during its WWDC 2015 keynote.

For the stories that do show up, tapping a headline will open a preview of the story, complete with an image and the lede. Simply pull the preview upward to be whisked away to our mobile site, where the full content can be quickly and easily read.

The News app features a back button in the upper left that will return the reader to the application once they are done reading the article.

News also allows users to share, favorite and save articles for later reading.

Readers are also invited to install the official AppleInsider app, built for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Using our app offers push notifications for breaking Apple news as it happens.

While the ad-supported app is free to download and use, those who subscribe to AppleInsider Plus gain an ad-free experience and the ability to save your favorite articles to Instapaper and Pocket.

Of course, the same content is also available through our traditional websites, accessible from your favorite desktop and mobile Web browsers. And readers can also stay up to date by following us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, through our newsletter, and via RSS.

However you read AppleInsider, we thank you for doing so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Step 1: Move to the US
  • Reply 2 of 18

Apple news is only available in the US unfortunately

• Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

You can change your region in settings to United States and the News app will show up, but if you change it back it'll take the News app back. Even if you get the News app to display, open it, add AppleInsider and another source of news, then change the region back to your local one (from United States), it'll kill the News app you had opened and remove it from your home screen. They *really* don't want you running this app outside the US right now.

• Reply 4 of 18
    Yet it's on the beta iOS here in the UK. Ah well, patience: I must learn patience...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have to say I agree with Macstories review of Apple News. I think like Apple Music they tried to boil the ocean and it's just too overwhelming. I think starting small and making sure the machine learning algorithms were spot on would've been the way to go. The app itself is beautiful and reading stories in it is a real pleasure.the curation just isn't quite there yet.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/apples-ios-9-news-app-review-broken-news/
  • Reply 6 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Step 1: Move to the US

That's what I did ... mostly for all things Apple. ;)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Apple News is awesome. I love it and it will only get better. I am finding more information about the topics I love.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Just changing the Region didn't do it for me, I had to change the Language to English (United States) too.

Not having that.

• Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Just changing the Region didn't do it for me, I had to change the Language to English (United States) too.

Not having that.

I kept the language set to UK English, then went into settings and saw the News app options listed there, and when I went out of settings, the News app was sitting on my home screen, voila! It was removed as soon as I set region back to UK, though.

• Reply 10 of 18
    "It should be noted that currently in iOS 9, there appear to be issues with a number of websites, including ours. For example, not all stories we publish appear in the News app, which relies on our RSS feed."

Maybe you could use the preferred format... and that isn't RSS. But I'm sure you know that and might want to reveal this in full disclose of the 'problems' you're encountering rather than implying RSS is the correct path. Adapt, don't complain. This is an exciting opportunity for great published content, not the rubbish associated with RSS feeds and the constant spamming of channels.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    But considering these same problems plague other sites, users should simply be aware that kinks related to News are still being worked out.

Absolutely. The dynamic font sizing isn't working in the articles (those that come from RSS). It works on the main page though.

iPad Air 2/ iOS 9
  • Reply 12 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bicubic View Post

"It should be noted that currently in iOS 9, there appear to be issues with a number of websites, including ours. For example, not all stories we publish appear in the News app, which relies on our RSS feed."

Maybe you could use the preferred format... and that isn't RSS. But I'm sure you know that and might want to reveal this in full disclose of the 'problems' you're encountering rather than implying RSS is the correct path. Adapt, don't complain. This is an exciting opportunity for great published content, not the rubbish associated with RSS feeds and the constant spamming of channels.

Is RSS not a supported feature?  Are errors with supported features not worth noting?

Crikey, the apologism meter just hit crimson.

• Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bicubic View Post

Actually, Apple News Format is not yet available. So RSS is currently our only option. We're not trying to hide anything, and your comment is misleading and incorrect.

You can see for yourself in Apple's own News FAQ:

How can I publish articles in Apple News Format?

Apple News Format is coming soon. For now, you can add your RSS feeds to News.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/News_Publishing_Guide/FAQ.html

• Reply 14 of 18
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    nhughes wrote: »

Actually, Apple News Format is not yet available. So RSS is currently our only option. We're not trying to hide anything, and your comment is misleading and incorrect.

You can see for yourself in Apple's own News FAQ:

<p style="border:0px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;padding-bottom:6px;"><strong style="border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">How can I publish articles in Apple News Format?</strong>
    </p>

<p style="border:0px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;padding-bottom:6px;">Apple News Format is coming soon. For now, you can add your RSS feeds to News.</p>

<p style="border:0px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;padding-bottom:6px;"> </p>

<p style="border:0px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;padding-bottom:6px;">https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/News_Publishing_Guide/FAQ.html</p>

<p style="border:0px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;padding-bottom:6px;"> </p>

Is this a confirmation that you will publish in Apple format once it's available?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Is this a confirmation that you will publish in Apple format once it's available?

That's a decision for my publisher to make. I am only in charge of the editorial side of things. I would imagine a decision will not be made until Apple News Format is made available and we can see how easy it is to integrate with our content.

• Reply 16 of 18
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    pjwilkin wrote: »

Lame.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I'm remaining loyal to Free RSS Reader. Apple News is way to overloaded with features to me.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Know what I’d like? I’d like to be able to BLACKLIST news sources in News, and then have Apple tell them that they’re blacklisted. Any way to do that? I never want to see garbage from “Salon”, specifically what those idiots think about spaceflight. 

Being able to aggregate news by subject is spectacular, but there has to be a way to de-aggregate by source...