Second trailer for 'Steve Jobs' film shows conflicts over family, Apple leadership

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Universal on Thursday released a second full trailer for the Danny Boyle-directed "Steve Jobs" biopic, mixing scenes of darker moments in the Apple co-founder's life with glimpses at his ambition.

One clip shows Jobs' infamous refusal to acknowledge the paternity of his first child, Lisa, while another shows his ouster from Apple. In other scenes though Jobs is shown explaining the potential of the Macintosh, and comparing the significance of the first-generation iMac to the Allies winning World War II.

The movie will make a limited public premiere on Oct. 9 before widescale showings on Oct. 16. It stars Michael Fassbender as Jobs, with supporting actors like Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen, and Jeff Daniels.

The film began development just days after Jobs' death in October 2011, but has had a troubled path to the big screen, changing actors, directors, and even its parent studio. The one constant has been a script by Aaron Sorkin, known for films like A Few Good Men and The Social Network, as well as TV shows like The Newsroom.

Steve Wozniak has claimed that the movie is one of the best cinematic representations of Jobs and the early years of Apple, despite some inaccuracies.

It has already been shown to a limited audience at the Telluride Film Festival, and will make another early screening at the New York Film Festival on Oct. 3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Effective trailer.

Who is the character that Kate Winslet playing?

I've been absolutely uninterested in Jobs bio-pics, and thought Walter Issacsons biography was flat. This is the Hollywood treatment but with Danny Boyle directing might just tempt me.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Who is the character that Kate Winslet playing?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2080374/

• Reply 3 of 20

Not feeling it.

• Reply 4 of 20
    "I have a bad feeling about this." —Han Solo
  • Reply 5 of 20
    "I have a bad feeling about this." —Han Solo

Well then you should have shot Greedo before he (hilariously) missed you at point blank range. Because professional bounty hunters do that.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Steve did not invent the mac...
    Why do all these scripts keep pushing that he was an inventor of products? He was a master cheery picker.
    Master marketer, and a master industrialist....
    Inventor, engineer Nope.... ..
  • Reply 7 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Why do all these scripts keep pushing that he was an inventor of products? He was a master cheery picker.

You should know by now that the guy who invents the human-scale, humane, attractive package is the one who invents the future medium or platform.

It wasn't Gutenberg that invented the printed book that we know, it was Aldus Manutius, the guy who invented the portable printed book. (Aldus Pagemaker was named after him.)

Do you remember the Sony transistor radio? That was an American invention repackaged by brilliant Japanese designers and packagers. The Walkman?

Expand your definition if "inventor" doesn't encompass Akio Morita, Sony, Steve Jobs, Apple . . .
  • Reply 8 of 20

the actor playing Jobs looks nothing like him, noah wylie was far more realistic

• Reply 9 of 20

Henry Ford didn't invent the car. He put the correct pieces together to bring it to mass market.

Thomas Edison did not invent the light bulb.  He put the correct pieces together to bring it to mass market.

Steve Jobs didn't invent the computer.   He put the correct pieces together to bring it to mass market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

• Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

You should probably go back to your coloring books because of your child-like thoughts on the matter.

• Reply 11 of 20

Where did you get that the script called him an inventor?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well then you should have shot Greedo before he (hilariously) missed you at point blank range. Because professional bounty hunters do that.

"Greedo was a skilled marksman... er, 'marks-Rodian'... and a good friend."  

—A tearful Obi-Wan ("Ben") Kenobi delivering the eulogy at Greedo's funeral

• Reply 13 of 20

he has more patents to his name than you do.

also -- look up the role of Product Manager. it is not the same as Marketing, tho he was great at both.
  • Reply 14 of 20

It just seems to me that there is a tremendous amount of time spent on the trailer focusing around Jobs denial of Lisa being his daughter.  Sure Steve Jobs has family issues/issues with his paternity of Lisa, but in all the books I've read about him and the mystique of Jobs isn't his denial of Lisa, but it's more about his drive, his inability to accept anything less than perfection and his willingness to roll over anyone in his way.  

I sure hope the extent of the film isn't spent around his family issues but more about his career and the results from it, both good and bad.  I also am concerned as Woz has said that there is some artistic license taken with the film with regards to some things that didn't really happen.  

I just fear that the film is going to be more fiction than fact... and in this case the fact is stranger than the fiction.

• Reply 15 of 20
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I'm mainly interested to see the attention to detail. Really looking forward to seeing a mint condition Macintosh 128K on the big screen!

• Reply 16 of 20
    Dead ????????????????
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

You mad?

Don't watch the movie. Sure you can find something more to your liking on Hulu.

• Reply 18 of 20
    Rated R for language?? Wow, the religious right infection is getting out of control.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    he has more patents to his name than you do.

also -- look up the role of Product Manager. it is not the same as Marketing, tho he was great at both.

Ok... And how do you know how many patents i have ???
  • Reply 20 of 20
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

This trailer has me a little more interested than I was before, possibly to the extent I would watch it on Netflix someday. Still, I wonder how they're going to pack all that crap into "30 min before three product launches" and make it believable. There must be filler between to segue the scenes for context n sich.