Inside iOS 9: Apple Maps gains transit directions for buses, trains, subways, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lales View Post

Maybe someone can explain why Los Angeles, America's 2nd largest city, with the 9th largest transit system (per Wikipedia, and larger than Chicago and Philadelphia's systems), is not only NOT one of the launch cities in Transit, but also low on the priority list (per Apple 9 to 5).

Because LA is a driving city, coming from somebody who has lived there for a number of years. The transit system may be large by size, but not by usage. Relatively few people RELY on the LA public transit system on a regular basis like they do in SF or NYC. Those that do honestly tend to fall into the lower income brackets where there are relatively fewer Apple customers anyway. I'm sure they'll get to it, but LA is logically not a high priority for Transit. Tokyo really needs to be prioritized, for example.

• Reply 22 of 43
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Looking forward to using this in Philadelphia. Another loss for Google and gain for iPhone owners.

Sadly, I see no evidence of Apple Maps showing bike lanes and bike friendly streets.

That is because when you have bikes and cars on the same streets it is never friendly to bikes, this is why we have something called a bike trail, bike only.

Bike trails typically don't go anyplace people actually need to get to, which tends to make them poor replacements for bike lanes and bike friendly streets.

• Reply 23 of 43
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Actually I believe he said 300 cities in China.

But 30 or 300, it shows the market Apple is aiming at right now.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    It is long way to go. Not sure how long it took Google to accomplish transit directions but I expect years before we in small city in the middle of Europe /nowhere/ will get them. Until then we can use Google Maps or one can use them solely as everybody prefers.

But for precise data there is usually best to use local apps as Google Maps fails when come to transport between cities here. It may be temporary error but may not.

But again local apps does not handle directions from Apple Maps or it does not support them. Have no clue.

And last but. But until Apple will be willing to pay for good mapping data in all regions, their maps wont be good option in those regions.

And most of maps need much better data for walking directions. As I found only Open street maps works well in most cases.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    plothploth Posts: 6member
    I am still in unbelief that a direction software solution can only have one destination. Is this really the way everyone navigates - 1 stop at a time?
    If I journey where I need a map, I have 3-10 stops, and the locations relevant to each other are unknown- one destination is useless unless you pre-plan...which that can't even be done on Maps OS X!

It's the only service I still use with Google in its name - a safari bookmark to maps.google to taunt me...

Or of course tomtom on iOS ????
  • Reply 26 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ploth wrote: »
    I am still in unbelief that a direction software solution can only have one destination. Is this really the way everyone navigates - 1 stop at a time?
    If I journey where I need a map, I have 3-10 stops, and the locations relevant to each other are unknown- one destination is useless unless you pre-plan...which that can't even be done on Maps OS X!

It's the only service I still use with Google in its name - a safari bookmark to maps.google to taunt me...

Or of course tomtom on iOS ????

I use waypoints on maps too. Even for just a return journey because I don't like to plan the return route when I'm at the destination. It should be straightforward enough to add. Once you have set the start/end, just have a button to 'add waypoint' and have a vertical list that can reorder the position. If the waypoint goes beyond the start/destination then switch the start/destination to be waypoints and the waypoint to be the start/destination.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Looking forward to using this in Philadelphia. Another loss for Google and gain for iPhone owners.

Sadly, I see no evidence of Apple Maps showing bike lanes and bike friendly streets.

Priorities. Bikes are not a viable form of transportation for 99.9% of the country.

• Reply 28 of 43
    lales wrote: »
    Maybe someone can explain why Los Angeles, America's 2nd largest city, with the 9th largest transit system (per Wikipedia, and larger than Chicago and Philadelphia's systems), is not only NOT one of the launch cities in Transit, but also low on the priority list (per Apple 9 to 5).
    Because most people in Los Angeles still drive despite the extensive work they've put into building public transit
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Unfortunately, there are a few iOS 9 features that are not available on iPhone 4S:

- no Siri search (usually accessible from the home screen left to right)
    - no music icon on the locked screen when you plug in head phones
    - no wifi switch under mobile network
    - no transit directions in Apple maps
  • Reply 30 of 43
    applezilla wrote: »

And you probably won't see any evidence of it... Until they release it. Let's face it, most municipalities are still building their paths and lanes, let alone figuring out which streets are "bike friendly." It's easy to forget, we are a country built around cars as the central mode of transportation.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Not working in Montreal. The option is there, but its never able to find a path between 2 locations.

On the other hand, the map as a lot more details than before.

• Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

There is an app for that:  CycleMap.  It looks like its using Apple Maps and adding the cyclemaps over it, so you have both by using this app.

• Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

And you probably won't see any evidence of it... Until they release it. Let's face it, most municipalities are still building their paths and lanes, let alone figuring out which streets are "bike friendly." It's easy to forget, we are a country built around cars as the central mode of transportation.

Yeah right.  some low budget company can do it in an app but Apple and its billions can't? 

Maybe Apple should add CycleMap to its list of companies to buy.

• Reply 34 of 43

Too bad they don't have a release schedule for everywhere else in the world so I can see the exact moment in time I can ditch Google forever. You know, in places like Europe and such where people actually use public transportation (I know there are a few US cities which are there too, but not quite as many as in Europe or Japan).

Bike directions would be the nail in the coffin for Google Maps. But it remains a feature for another Maps update, maybe in a couple of years. It seems like every step forward by Apple in software (other than core OS) is done because it has to, not because it wants to. And it kinda shows in their end product (Maps, office suite, Photos app, Apple Music, iCloud...). You can tell users feel the software that is almost there... but not quite there yet... Everything seems like a half-assed job with their software (again, aside from core OS). Ya know what I mean? 

• Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by getvoxoa View Post

I still use google maps for bike routes. The searching in Apple maps needs a lot of improvement. I use apple maps 50% of the time, the rest on google maps.

Yeah, I'm about the same.  The transit update is great, and will get me away from Google Maps that little bit more, but I'm looking forwards to Apple adding bike routes (which I assume they will at some point in the future), and that will be pretty much the end of Google Maps for me.

Actually, Apple could steal a march over Google if/when they implement cycling.  I think it would be cool if you could have a hybrid cycle/public transit route map.  For example, if I were to just take public transport to work, it would involve a bus, then the tram, then another bus.  That would take far too long, but cycling to the tram, then cycling from there to work makes perfect sense.  It would be cool if you could tell it how many transit "switches" you are prepared to put up with, and it calculates the most efficient public transport and cycling route through that.

Anyway, Apple Maps has clearly taken a massive step forward in iOS9.  I'm pleased they are continuing to hone it, and expect it will beat Google Maps eventually.

• Reply 36 of 43
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

When (if they are) are these features coming to El Capitan....?

• Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

Actually I believe he said 300 cities in China.

But 30 or 300, it shows the market Apple is aiming at right now.

The fact that China has Central Planning (one-stop shopping for pub-trans data) might also explain why they can roll out so many systems right away.

• Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Priorities. Bikes are not a viable form of transportation for 99.9% of the country.

Wow, you pulled that shit straight out of your ass!

• Reply 39 of 43

IPad + iOS9 = heaven! Loving it on my Air2!

• Reply 40 of 43

With one of the world's biggest, best, cleanest, and almost always on-time public transport systems, missing out on Tokyo is a BIG FAIL Apple.