Apple's Tim Cook talks iPhone 6s, ethics, Steve Jobs, more on 'Late Show' with Stephen Colbert

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

Or better yet, let the TV itself by the input receiver and come out of the TV with Optical. 5.1 still passes through, with most TVs.

• Reply 22 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Or better yet, let the TV itself by the input receiver and come out of the TV with Optical. 5.1 still passes through, with most TVs.

All of the whiners here will buy the new Apple TV (and an optical adapter) because the features and capabilities of the new hardware will trump their grousing. They complain but will comply.

• Reply 23 of 34
    What you fail to realize is arguably more people used the Apple TV as an audio/streaming device (that also did TV stuff) - than a TV device that had audio capabilities.

On top of that - anyone who was using it primarily as a TV device was having to jailbreak it so it was somewhat useful. This means people were primarily buying it for the hardware.

Seems Apple's solution to jailbreaking was to make the hardware much worse - and by killing it as an audio device (who wants to turn their TV on to listen to music???) - you have one heck of a POS with a nice GUI that has to be installed over with a jailbreak - and that's why the industry groaned - major let down.

AE is dead as well - since Apple has licenced AirPlay.
    Apple has effectively taken itself out of the living room. A curious surprise blunder in my mind.

Apple pulled a Zune.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    pmz wrote: »

Won't work for a projector setup, especially one in the back of the room or on the ceiling.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Meanwhile I have no idea why Tim Cook was on Colbert’s show last night. No CEO worth their salt is going surprise viewers with any important news. To me it was an Apple commercial by Tim Cook, which is just fine and good for Apple. Colbert stuck in a couple of ‘serious’ questions (Cook’s coming out and the Chinese labor issue) both of which are old news and to which we all know the answers.

I think the main PR point he needed to get across is that Apple is not the Haunted Empire that Alex Gibney tried to slip under the door in his "documentary" about Steve Jobs.

Tim got to call Gibney an "opportunist," a great kindness, given the level of Gibney's betrayal of the truth about Steve Jobs. Harsher words for Gibney come to mind, but Tim is a gentleman.

Tim also got to slip in that Apple has a program to develop the Chinese workforce with college courses, and I'm sure he could have gone on, was prepared to go on, with this theme, had the "lite" interview format not been in the way.

Aside from that, he got to score some screen time for 3D Touch and taptic feedback. Colbert seems to be a genuine fan, to his credit.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Meanwhile I have no idea why Tim Cook was on Colbert’s show last night. No CEO worth their salt is going surprise viewers with any important news. To me it was an Apple commercial by Tim Cook, which is just fine and good for Apple. Colbert stuck in a couple of ‘serious’ questions (Cook’s coming out and the Chinese labor issue) both of which are old news and to which we all know the answers.

Tim Cook was on Colbert last night because he was invited.  It's really that simple.  He was invited because people would watch.  That's the entire point of having guests: to get ratings.  It didn't matter if nothing new was learned.  That wasn't the point.  The point was to entertain and get ratings.  I enjoyed it.

• Reply 27 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Steve wouldn't!!!!!!!!!1
  • Reply 28 of 34

If I didn't know better (armed with the hearsay that Dr. Dre was never an Apple Watch guy anyway), this recent photo of Iovine, Cook, Dre, and Cue at Dre's coming out confessional party might to some accidentally look like Iovine, Cook and Cue are purposefully hiding what they are wearing on their wrists by pulling their sleeves lower or positioning their hands to cover what would ordinarily be their watch wrist. I believe in the few pics I've seem that Cook wears a white sports band Apple Watch (not that he doesn't have others available to him).

Also, if I didn't know better, with a little imagination, one could almost pretend to notice the sheepish grins on all three (as if they shared a private joke about being caught out sans their Apple Watchs). ;^)

in another photo taken that day Cook can be seen wearing a watch with a darker colored (e.g., brown??) wrist band. 

• Reply 29 of 34
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

he had a rose gold iPhone.. I think that tells us all we need to know about why the Apple Watch appeared yesterday and will no doubt disappear along with the phone when the product placement contract lapses at an appropriate amount of time such that the mass public doesn't remember anyway

Can't be too sure of that - Fallon still has that MBP on his desk, after all (although it did disappear there for awhile).

• Reply 30 of 34
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I find it interesting that Colbert wore a traditional wristwatch all last week, but starting yesterday he was wearing his ?Watch. I'm very curious to see if he changes his watch every week, or if keeps the ?Watch going forward. I'm not really sure I like that he wears the same color suit every night, and that it basically matches his set, but that could play into his wrist wear philosophy as well ...

Colbert has had an Apple Watch since it was released. He wore one with a white wristband during a promo for the show a couple months ago.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I am a regular Colbert fan so I was happy to see TC on the show. He seemed to genuinely enjoy it and was laughing heartily throughout. He can seem like a stiff in formal presentations and other interviews so I think this was good for him to do.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    sog35 wrote: »
    So then go buy a receiver with HDMI.  Why is this so hard to understand.

It's easy for me, but more difficult for my wallet to understand. I have excellent (for their time and by a lot of standards still today) hand-me-down receiver and speakers, and a 6 year old 720p projector. It's difficult to justify spending $250+ in order to use a $150 streaming device. If I can upgrade my experience for $150 without having to invest heavily in other hardware, that's a big plus in my book. I'm still going to save up to make the switch some day, but it's just a bummer for now.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    sog35 wrote: »
    bitmod wrote: »
    What you fail to realize is arguably more people used the Apple TV as an audio/streaming device (that also did TV stuff) - than a TV device that had audio capabilities.

On top of that - anyone who was using it primarily as a TV device was having to jailbreak it so it was somewhat useful. This means people were primarily buying it for the hardware.

Seems Apple's solution to jailbreaking was to make the hardware much worse - and by killing it as an audio device (who wants to turn their TV on to listen to music???) - you have one heck of a POS with a nice GUI that has to be installed over with a jailbreak - and that's why the industry groaned - major let down.

AE is dead as well - since Apple has licenced AirPlay.

Apple has effectively taken itself out of the living room. A curious surprise blunder in my mind.

Apple pulled a Zune.

AppleTV as primary an Audio device?  GTFO.  That is not Apple's vision.  

You are making all sort of bullshit assumptions:

1. Most people use it as an Audio device.  BULLSSHIT
    2. Its useless without jailbreak.  BULLSHIT.

The only one that groaned are those without VISION.  You were expecting some Audio/Video nerd box that cost $499.  

It wasn't Apple's vision that iOS devices be used to play games. Sometimes the users dictate what a device gets used for.