Amazon updates Fire tablets & TV products, introduces $50 tablet & $100 4K Fire TV

Comments

• Reply 161 of 212

Amazon doesn't charge more money for viewing 4K content.

• Reply 162 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

A video filmed on an iPhone 6s and played on a 4k TV will blow away a Netflix 4k movie.

Right. just as long as you don't use the latest and greatest Apple Tv to play that super 4K video your latest and greatest iPhone captures.

• Reply 163 of 212
    From their product page.

[QUOTE]"Amazon Fire TV is built to support High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC). Over the coming months, Amazon Fire TV will deliver more 1080p high-definition streams from Amazon Video than ever before—even if you don’t own a 4K TV. HEVC is approximately 2x more efficient at encoding video than the current industry standard, which means less bandwidth is needed to deliver high-quality video streams. As a result, the majority of Fire TV customers will now experience more high-quality, 1080p streams from Amazon Video."[/QUOTE]

Good on them.
  • Reply 164 of 212
    sog35 wrote: »
    So now you need to spend thousands to develop a custom software just to run that POS kindle? Then you are not saving money at all! With iPad there are a ton of apps already built. That would be 10x cheaper than custom sofware.

If this was a great idea why dont we see more cheap POS tablets in enterprise? We dont because smart business know buying cheap hardware may save you a few bucks in the short term but will lead to less productive employees. If employees are 5% less productive that would be thousands in losses. Say your warehouse worker makes $9 an hour. If he has to work 5% more hours because his tablet sucks you would be paying him $14 overtime rate and 100 hours a year. That is $1400. Now add taxes and insurance and its close to $2000 a year.

So would it make sense to save $200 on a tablet yet pay $2000 in added employee expenses?
    I have a friend who actually works for a company that makes apps for inventory work in warehouses etc. They do apps for Android, Apple even windows. As you make ever more silly assumptions to try and prove your point all you do is back yourself into a corner.
    Sometimes an Apple solution is not the right solution.Sometimes it is better value to use another companies product.
    I know this may shock you and it may hurt your world where (to paraphrase Babylon 5) Apple is mother, Apple is father.but if you can accept this premise you will be a better person.????
  • Reply 165 of 212
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Congrats.  Your HDX last 12 months.  Much longer than the average Fire tablet that usually is stuck in a drawer after 3 months and collects dust.

You do know that Amazon is collecting information on your kid's tablet? Scary thought.  They are selling tablets at a loss for a reason.  They want to collect data on what your kid watches and what games he plays.

I have had a Fire HDX 7" for ages as well as an iPad Mini 3 and a lot of other Apple equipment. I use the Fire all the time. I like the size, screen is really nice and, oddly, I like the feel the the materials it is made from. It's smaller than the iPad Mini but really very useful. I also have a 1st generation Fire TV with a terrible Plex but otherwise quite nice. I am still looking forward to moving back to the Apple TV but I have to say that the Amazon stuff we do have, like the Echo, has been really nice. Not into gaming so I doubt Amazon is terribly interested in me and I generally pay to get rid of ads. I do realize that Amazon wants to get you to frequent their store but for some odd reason their methods don't bother me as much as all the ads I see as a result of doing a search with Google.

Having Alexa on the new Fire TV should be interesting. I far prefer her voice to Siri's though hopefully the Siri voice on the ATV will be less robot like.

The foray into the Amazon world would never have happened for me had Apple come out with an App Store for the previous Apple TV's. Better late than never I suppose.
  • Reply 166 of 212
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    relic wrote: »
    You can also install apps on either a SD Card or an external HD, plus 4K streaming, cool little box guys. Yes, I'm sure the new Apple TV is better in a lot of areas but the new Fire TV is no slouch either, especially for those who can't afford anything over a 100 bucks. Way to go Amazon and by the way, 40 bucks extra for the game controller is a really good deal, especially for one that is so well built and is probably just as good as the Apple TV's.

I don't think you can install apps on an external hard drive. That was possible with the first generation Fire TV. You can only use the USB port for accessories.

I really like my Fire TV's except for just a terrible Plex client. I am glad they are moving ahead with a new one. It will be interesting to see how well it compares to the new Apple TV. I will be moving back to that but will keep the Fire TV's if there is no Amazon Video app on the Apple TV. Of course Kodi users will stay with the Fire TV or Android TV but, apart from that app, the Apple TV should evolve far more rapidly than the Fire TV which has an identity problem when it comes to Android. I quite like the Fire OS but so many people seem anxious to get the Play store onto Amazon Fire products. Anyway, all of a sudden media players have become exciting again!
  • Reply 167 of 212
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    pmcd wrote: »
    I don't think you can install apps on an external hard drive. That was possible with the first generation Fire TV. You can only use the USB port for accessories.

I really like my Fire TV's except for just a terrible Plex client. I am glad they are moving ahead with a new one. It will be interesting to see how well it compares to the new Apple TV. I will be moving back to that but will keep the Fire TV's if there is no Amazon Video app on the Apple TV. Of course Kodi users will stay with the Fire TV or Android TV but, apart from that app, the Apple TV should evolve far more rapidly than the Fire TV which has an identity problem when it comes to Android. I quite like the Fire OS but so many people seem anxious to get the Play store onto Amazon Fire products. Anyway, all of a sudden media players have become exciting again!

I fired of Mayday this morning, which is hands down the best customer service resource ever released. Have a question, just start Mayday and within minutes your talking to live customer service rep. Anyway I asked if we will still be able to move apps to an external source, she said, yes, absolutely. Which makes complete sense as the Fire TV only has 8GB of storage. The whole idea behind the SD Card is so users can install more apps. I've also installed version 5.0 of Fire OS onto my Fire TV and tested it out (you should do it today as well, worth the 10 minutes it takes to upgrade), all of my apps now reside in my external hard-disk. Version 5 for the first generation is the exact same version that will be used in the second generation. There us no doubt that the Apple TV will be a good device but those who want to use things like a keyboard for the browser, different controllers for the emulators, external storage, easy access to NAS, devices, cloud storage within every app installed that can access files, apps like Kodiak, will be better served with a device like the Amazon Fire TV, Minix Z64 or Nvidia Shield TV. It all depends on what your ultimate goals are. Stating one is better than the other is kind of silly at this point, it's all relative.

The game controller is also a good investment, I use mine with both the Fire TV and Kindle HDX. It can also be used as a Kodi controller as it has play, pause, next, back, fast forward, rewind buttons, really handy. It's only 40 bucks on Amazon, their Bluetooth keyboard is also a good buy, check I even have an Amazon branded mouse for my Kindle HDX for when I'm using it as a word-processor. I like things to match.
  • Reply 168 of 212
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

image Uncompressed? What video content could you possibly be talking about that isn't compressed?

Whoops - meant "less compressed"...

• Reply 169 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

From their product page.

Good on them.

Agree.  The best use of H.265 codec, for the majority of people, is to improve HD (1080p) streaming, by being able to:

a) Stream better quality with using the same bitrate as H.264 on a current service today.

b) Stream with lower nitrate for same quality, to enable more users to get HD, or the stream doesn't drop down to a lower quality level

• Reply 170 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

So by your logic, Apple should not have added 4K support to 6S phone but instead just improved the bit rate of the current 1080p offering?

Apple might know a bit more about the market and technology than you think you do.

4k "video recording" - capturing all of the information at that resolution & colour spec at source - is different from streaming.  With 4k video recording, the user now has source material in a higher quality format which allows them more flexibility in editing/manipulating the video.  While the *vast majority* of computer monitors and TV's today will not be able to show that (Apple's only device - Apple 5K Retina iMac), the user now has the source material going forward.

You don't have to search far to see many industry experts outline the pros & cons of 4k vs. 1080p HD streaming.  4k is clearly better when:

a) the TV screen is big enough to enable the human eye to discern a difference at the typical viewing distance (60+ inches often mentioned)

b) the bandwidth available from streamer source to end user is high enough to support a stream bitrate where that improved resolution & colour are not impaired too much from compression.

Otherwise, an improved 1080p HD stream (less compression & using higher bitrate) will actually look better.  To this point, I was watching a show on Netflix last night, and the HD quality looked quite poor.  You could clearly see the effects from the high compression (not all shows of course are so affected - depends on who does the encoding).

• Reply 171 of 212
    Quote:

Nice job making up some theoretical scenerio.  No doubt many companies use Android tablets.

But show me even ONE decent company that uses the cheap POS Kindle Fire $99 tablets?  Find me just ONE!

Now the $50 is even WORSE than those tablets.  Give me a break.  No self respecting company is going to use those $50 tablets on anything that is mission critical.

Quote:

Nice job making up some theoretical scenerio.  No doubt many companies use Android tablets.

But show me even ONE decent company that uses the cheap POS Kindle Fire $99 tablets?  Find me just ONE!

Now the $50 is even WORSE than those tablets.  Give me a break.  No self respecting company is going to use those $50 tablets on anything that is mission critical.

what theoretical scenario? Its not theoretical but of course you want absolute proof. Names, address, signed affidavits  and their first born sons. 

In your ever so narrow world only the iPad can deliver what any company could ever want. Only Apple can deliver anything, everything else is a POS. 

Apple dominates in tablet usage in enterprise quite rightly (as currently there offering generally is heads above anything else on the market) but as they don't have 100% therefore someone must be using them. 

• Reply 172 of 212
    Quote:

Here you go making excuses.  I'm only taking about these POS Amazon $50 tablets.

Show me a SINGLE decent companies that uses $99 Amazon tablets for mission critical tasks?  

You can even show me ONE!!!! Not even ONE!!!!  So yes your scenario is theorectical because you can't even find a single company.

I never said the iPad is the only tablet that should be used in business.  I see Android tablets and Surface in companies.  Not as common as iPad but I do see them.  My whole point is any decent company won't be using these POS $50 tablets.

define decent

• Reply 173 of 212
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Will you ever grow up?

Quote:

The new automated management system at abrasive waterjet manufacturer OMAX uses basic consumer technology that operates with over 100 Amazon Kindle Fire tablets, as well as large touch screens.

http://www.fabricatingandmetalworking.com/2014/03/the-shop-floor-goes-mobile/

• Reply 174 of 212
    Quote:

At least $10 billion in sales a year.  

ah so only big companies can be decent such as Amazon, Samsung and Google? :\

• Reply 175 of 212
    Quote:

$10 billion isn't much.  There are about 800+ companies that have that much revenue a year.

I don't want to include companies like Dick and Jane's Alligator Pizza.

No you are just trying to self select companies that may agree with your viewpoint.

• Reply 176 of 212
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Looks like they switch over to iPads

https://www.omax.com/

I can't find any confirmation that Kindle Fire tablets were bought by the company. The article seems to state that employees brought their own devices (Kindle Fire) as seen in the picture you posted.

You can't find confirmation?  How about the text I quoted that accompanies the photo I quoted?  'The new automated management system at abrasive waterjet manufacturer OMAX uses basic consumer technology that operates with over 100 Amazon Kindle Fire tablets, as well as large touch screens.'  You have to go to that page and click on the image I quoted to see the text.

That not good enough for you?  How about this:

Quote:

The new automated management system uses basic consumer technology, which makes it extremely cost effective. Instead of purchasing specialized hardware such as barcode readers or computers with factory-floor features, the OMAX system uses Amazon Kindle Fire tablets, large touch screens and standard label printers.

The company currently has over 100 tablets in operation. The devices are lightweight, and almost every function is initiated within two button clicks so employees can quickly enter all applicable transactions. The management system also provides real-time inventory numbers, which helps the manufacturing staff picking parts, as well as the purchasing and accounting departments. Prior to the new system, data entry was time consuming and often lagged by a day or two. 

http://www.ffjournal.net/item/11835-omax-corp-meets-growing-demand-with-company-wide-automation-system.html

The article does not state the employees bought them.

That photo showing the guy using the iPad is a stock photo used on at least 10 other sites.

Look familiar maybe?:

http://www.mediabakery.com/JUC0034521-Businessman-and-technician-with-digital-tablet-and.html

Do you want the URLs of the other 9 sites too?

You are always like this.  You're proven wrong repeatedly and every time you flap around like a fish on the deck of a trawler protesting everything's fine, you're not really as good as dead, you're just resting.

Monty Python did a famous skit with a shop salesman who could have been based on you.

Now lie still while I nail your coffin shut.

• Reply 177 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Monty Python did a famous skit with a shop salesman who could have been based on you.

This also comes to mind:

• Reply 178 of 212
    After reading the one star reviews of the 'Move to iOS' Android app and noticing how all have the same irrational voice as [@]sog35[/@] I've decided to just block him. His posts are what ISIS is to Islam, the Tea Party is to Republican Party, what Jar Jar Binks is to [I]Star Wars[/I]. I can't stop him him from posting but I don't want to read his stupid comments any longer, I only wish I could hide them when you quote him, so I hope you don't.
  • Reply 179 of 212
    solipsismy wrote: »
    After reading the one star reviews of the 'Move to iOS' Android app and noticing how all have the same irrational voice as [@]sog35[/@] I've decided to just block him. His posts are what ISIS is to Islam, the Tea Party is to Republican Party, what Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. I can't stop him him from posting but I don't want to read his stupid comments any longer, I only wish I could hide them when you quote him, so I hope you don't.

Welcome to the Sogblockers Club.
  • Reply 180 of 212
    solipsismy wrote: »
    After reading the one star reviews of the 'Move to iOS' Android app and noticing how all have the same irrational voice as [@]sog35[/@] I've decided to just block him. His posts are what ISIS is to Islam, the Tea Party is to Republican Party, what Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. I can't stop him him from posting but I don't want to read his stupid comments any longer, I only wish I could hide them when you quote him, so I hope you don't.

He wouldn't be so bad if he didn't keep repeating the same things over, and over. He's like AI's version of Ten Second Tom from 50 First Dates.