Apple rebranded existing Android app for 'Move to iOS' migration tool, report says

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
An inspection of code in Apple's "Move to iOS" migration tool for Android users, its first app for Google's mobile operating system, reveals the title might be a simple rebranding of software already on offer in the Google Play Store.

Following the launch of Move to iOS on Wednesday, Android-centric blog Phandroid downloaded and unpacked the app to discover what is basically a rebadged version of migration software developed by UK firm Media Mushroom.

Called Copy My Data, Media Mushroom's app can currently be found on the Google Play Store. The developer also fields a sister app in the iOS App Store called Device Switch, which reverses the migration procedure from iOS to Android. Move to iOS is a basic migration assistant that "securely transfers your contacts, message history, camera photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail accounts, and calendars," Apple says.

According to the publication, Move to iOS and Copy My Data share chunks of code. In many cases Apple left Media Mushroom's original com.mediamushroom.copymydata code strings intact and didn't change the Android package name from android:name="com.mediamushroom.copymydata". In essence, Apple gutted out the original's graphics, replaced it with Move to iOS art and tacked on licensing agreement text.

Apple most likely purchased usage rights from Media Mushroom, a service the UK developer advertises on its website, Phandroid notes. It seems, then, the title of "Apple's first Android app" will go to Apple Music when it launches later this year.

In light of the findings, and assuming Move to iOS is indeed a rebranded version of Copy My Data, Android users have yet to experience a true Apple app offering. Ironically, since its release Move to iOS has been the subject of intense ridicule on the Google Play Store, where it's received thousands of one-star reviews.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    It's interesting that the original app has a 4 star rating on Google Play, but when you put Apple's name is on it the reviews are considerably worse. It's almost as if Android users are being irrational, rash, and emotional.

[LIST][*] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mediamushroom.copymydata&hl=en
    [/LIST]

At least one person gave Media Mushroom a heads up about Apple's [I]nefarious[/I] actions: Josh Thrasher — "So apple stole your stuff The new Apple "move to ios" app kanged your app and even left the original package name in the manifest... Just so you know." LOL

[QUOTE]The developer also fields a sister app in the iOS App Store called Device Switch, which reverses the migration procedure from iOS to Android. [/QUOTE]

Now we know Apple will allow this sort of app.

edit: Those comments! So much hate. So many lies. Very entertaining.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    "Ironically, since its release 'Move to iOS' has been the subject of intense ridicule on the Google Play Store, where it's received thousands of one-star reviews."

At last they get it... they finally get it!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ironically, since its release Move to iOS has been the subject of intense ridicule on the Google Play Store, where it's received thousands of one-star reviews.

Apple does not need to bother. Thousands of people migrating to an iPhone is good for them. And these people certainly did move, how else would they have tested and rated that app :grumble:.

• Reply 4 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I heard the 5 star reviewers are kicking the fandroid's a**es!!

Wish I could read the reviews. There was an article that posted some. It was good.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Android weenies!
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Remember when reviews were supposed to be user-reported descriptions of experience with a thing, instead of some kind of game of popularity and an extension of marketing?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    This makes perfect business sense. I see plenty of reasons why Apple would dedicate resources, time, and money into Apple branded apps that provide Android users with access to Apple services. However, this is a narrowly focused one time use app solely intended to rescue Androidians from their current pain and suffering. Some better names for the app may have been:

Relieve Your Pain
    Ultimate Android Fix
    Adios Android

????
  • Reply 8 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dewme wrote: »
    This makes perfect business sense. I see plenty of reasons why Apple would dedicate resources, time, and money into Apple branded apps that provide Android users with access to Apple services. However, this is a narrowly focused one time use app solely intended to rescue Androidians from their current pain and suffering. Some better names for the app may have been:

Relieve Your Pain
    Ultimate Android Fix
    Adios Android

????

Malware Removal Tool
  • Reply 9 of 34
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It's interesting that the original app has a 4 star rating on Google Play, but when you put Apple's name is on it the reviews are considerably worse. It's almost as if Android users are being irrational, rash, and emotional.
    That sure never happens on this board!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ironically, since its release Move to iOS has been the subject of intense ridicule on the Google Play Store, where it's received thousands of one-star reviews.

Wait? Did they all install the 'Move to iOS' app? Or can you write a review on Android without having purchased the app? Which wouldn't make sense :???:

• Reply 11 of 34
    Checked some of the reviews. I seriously cannot understand how some people can be fanboys to the point where they have to put down an app they will never use themselves but helps those who want to switch platforms. It's downright idiotic.

Also buying/licensing the software from another company is perfectly normal practice. Apple has bought lots of companies to work on their devices and software. Licensing a program that already existed and rebranding it to assure their customers that this is THE official app to move from Android to iOS makes sense, no reason to reinvent the wheel.

The line "Android users have yet to experience a true Apple app offering" is complete bullshit. It's not like being a developer working at Apple suddenly makes you more capable than working at another company. Or the app more "true".
  • Reply 12 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

At least one person gave Media Mushroom a heads up about Apple's nefarious actions: Josh Thrasher — "So apple stole your stuff The new Apple "move to ios" app kanged your app and even left the original package name in the manifest... Just so you know." LOL

Now we know Apple will allow this sort of app.

Well that must have been a huge surprise to Media Mushroom. 

Android fanaticism, much much worse that Apple fanaticism. Everybody is a sog35

• Reply 13 of 34
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Or can you write a review on Android without having purchased the app? Which wouldn't make sense :???:

It's open. :D

• Reply 14 of 34
    cali wrote: »
    I heard the 5 star reviewers are kicking the fandroid's a**es!!

Wish I could read the reviews. There was an article that posted some. It was good.

You can access the Google PlayStore on a Web browser.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    "Move to iOS has been the subject of intense...... thousands of one-star reviews.
    "
    There are people who had no good things in life don't appreciate something awesome like iPhone. These few androidians started 1 star opinion and others like them joined into cattle herd. Monkey see monkey do, self fulfilling prophecy.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Relieve Your Pain

Ultimate Android Fix

Adios Android

????

Glass of Ice Water

• Reply 17 of 34

Apple rebranded existing Android app for 'Move to iOS' migration tool,

report says..

• Reply 18 of 34

why on earth would anybody care who wrote the app

• Reply 19 of 34
    Gotta say, the 16,000+ 1-star reviews on the [URL=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.movetoios&hl=en]Play Store[/URL] are funny as hell, but there's a whole lot of Google employees (~55,000 total) that haven't joined in yet.... I wonder why? :p
  • Reply 20 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The cult of Android delusionalism is alive and well.

Why bother downloading an app if your only purpose is to write a factless negative review. Purely pathetic.

I guess it's similar to hate watching tv shows.