iOS 9 power-saving tactics include cutting display power for face-down devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Well experiment over. After sitting idle for 7 hours 11 minutes, battery life dropped a whopping 54%
    That's some serious leakage. Again I blame the new intuitive Siri, and whatever it is she's doing in the background, for this. Writing up my bug report now and hope it's addressed in Beta 2.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Well experiment over. After sitting idle for 7 hours 11 minutes, battery life dropped a whopping 54%
    That's some serious leakage. Again I blame the new intuitive Siri, and whatever it is she's doing in the background, for this. Writing up my bug report now and hope it's addressed in Beta 2.

Did you look at what's burning battery, or is Siri just a guess?
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

No mention of GPS location sharing? I've long wanted my iPhone to me able to share my location with my iPad and MacBook. A simple Bluetooth protocol should be all it takes.

If you use your iPhone as a Personal Hotspot, it does share the GPS location from the iPhone.

If you're not moving, then the location services on iPad/Mac usually give "good enough" location in my experience.

Still, this is something Apple could fix - if my iPhone is in Bluetooth range, use it's GPS coordinates.

• Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Just like the lessons from iOS were copied to improve Android, more lessons from iOS are now going to improve Android. It's a nice cycle.

Yes ... and google and samsung are gonna call it ... wait for it ... OBVIOUS!

• Reply 25 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

This has me really interested, because one of the constant drains on my iPhone is every time I get an email or notification, the screen always comes on.

I wonder if this will work even when your phone is in your pants pocket?

You really should download and read the free iOS owner's manual from iBooks. It is very simple to turn off the notifications that light up your screen for each and every app, including e-mail. Do you think the millions of people who use these for work want it coming to life every time they get an e-mail?

• Reply 26 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Curious as to why face-down mode is not active all the time.

• Reply 27 of 55
    inkling wrote: »
    No mention of GPS location sharing? I've long wanted my iPhone to me able to share my location with my iPad and MacBook. A simple Bluetooth protocol should be all it takes.
    This has worked for years, just tether your iPad to your iPhone, problem solved. I've used it via WiFi tether, not sure if it's passed along on bluetooth. Worth a try though.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    am8449 wrote: »
    This is good news for iPhone 4S users like me, who are still on the original battery and have to be in Airplane Mode most of the day just to make it through the day without charging.

I'm very glad Apple is still thinking of those of us who are on older hardware.

It is insanely simple to replace the battery in your 4s, it literally takes about 5 minutes. Why deal with not having a useable phone? Seriously it's one of the easiest things I've ever replaced on anything, it's like 3 screws.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Curious as to why face-down mode is not active all the time.

Seriously!  Why the heck do I need my screen to turn on when it's faced down..

• Reply 30 of 55

Presumably if it's using the light sensor, then "face down mode" should also apply when the phone is in a pocket, right?

• Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Yeah, they have a long way to go. Battery life is laughably bad in Beta 1, twice the drain rate of 6 and 7 combined if my notes are accurate. I can only assume that this is due to the new "smarter" Siri digging through my phone when it is inactive. On the upside, App compatibility is fantastic so far compared to the two previous Beta 1 versions. iOS 6 Beta 1 was notoriously bad, killing compatibility with over half the apps I had loaded on my phone at that time. I'll be ready to test my apps in another day, which is less than half the time it took to get things working right in 7. Looking forward to Beta 2.

Beta versions, especially the first 1 or 2, generally have a lot of debug code running in the background to capture and report back to Apple things that we might not even notice.  iOS 9 beta 1 was horrific on my battery, but by beta 5 it was back to normal. 

• Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is in fact promising that simply installing iOS 9 should give an iPhone 6 an extra hour of battery life. Turning on Low Power should add another three hours.

This is something I noticed in the iPhone 6S presentation: battery life was still quoted as 10-hours.  Ditto for the iPad Pro, not 11 hours.  The battery is a little smaller in the 6S, so I guess that negates the extra hour gained from iOS 9?  One would think that the A9 needs less power, offsetting the smaller battery.  But alas, they are quoting 10 hours of battery life for the 6S and not 11. 

I don't think they've changed the numbers on the marketing materials for the 6 and 6 Plus, either.  So is iOS 9 really giving anyone longer battery life, outside of "Low power mode"?

• Reply 33 of 55
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    the sad thing for you is how easy it is to replace the batter on a 4S. two screws off the bottom, slide the rear off, undo one thing inside, and remove the battery. replace and close up.

And the battery itself is about 20 bucks or so.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Why should this face-down power thing be restricted to Low Power mode? Sounds sensible to have all the time.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

OK, I'll say it, knowing that it won't go over well in this group: this is a feature that Samsung phones have had for a long time and advertised quite a bit: a power saving mode for when one's battery is getting low.

Or am I wrong? (of course I know that Apple will do it better!)

They have had it for a while. However, the implementation is different. On android, your screen goes to a very limited number of apps the display is black and white.  Apple's does more in the background, so it really depends on your preference. 

• Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

That's a really good idea.

So good its already implemented, my iPhone 4 with iOS 7 does this. I have French/English activated and it always remembers the last keyboard.
    P.S. I also only charge my battery every other day, About 5-6 hours listed in the Usage.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    The lights off mode doesn't seem to work if there is a case, unless I am missing some activation point.
  • Reply 38 of 55

I am starting to get 40 hours standby and 12 hours usage since I updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 9. Mow I can go almost two days in a single charge. My usage habits are the same as pre iOS 9. Thats without turning on Low Power Mode.

• Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Yeah, they have a long way to go. Battery life is laughably bad in Beta 1, twice the drain rate of 6 and 7 combined if my notes are accurate. I can only assume that this is due to the new "smarter" Siri digging through my phone when it is inactive. On the upside, App compatibility is fantastic so far compared to the two previous Beta 1 versions. iOS 6 Beta 1 was notoriously bad, killing compatibility with over half the apps I had loaded on my phone at that time. I'll be ready to test my apps in another day, which is less than half the time it took to get things working right in 7. Looking forward to Beta 2.

iOS betas are terrible at battery life and performance because they are compiled differently from the final build. 

• Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It would be nice if GPS/location based apps could all be restricted to "When Using".  Too many apps are still all or nothing.  There is no reason a traffic app (for example) needs to spin in the background using up battery when I'm at home or work.

The way iOS designed is that GPS/location based apps are not pulling your location one by one whenever they want. There is a single location service running in the background almost all the time (it is running whenever you see the location icon) and it updates apps that need your location. Your traffic app is not actually running for hours in background since they are limited to few minutes then put to suspension state. However, you can disable Background App Refresh in the Settings is that makes you feel better.

I see lots of people killing/clearing their "open" apps thinking that it will improve the battery life and performance. That's not how iOS works.