Apple begins testing OS X 10.11.1 with focus on stability, compatibility and security

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2015
Before OS X 10.11 El Capitan launches to the public, its first forthcoming maintenance and security update is already available in beta form for developers to test.

The first beta release of OS X 10.11.1 was supplied to developers on Thursday. It is identified as build "15B17c."

Apple's accompanying notes state that update "improves the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac." Specifics on what changes or fixes might be found in the point-one release were not given.

Developers and public beta testers were given a golden master candidate of OS X 10.11 last week ahead of its public release. Apple will make OS X 10.11 El Capitan available as a free download on the Mac App Store Sept. 30.

El Capitan is largely a polish of last year's OS X 10.10 Yosemite, but will gain a handful of key new features like Split View, an enhanced Mission Control, and performance improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Glad to see this. At some point you have shoot the engineers and start production. The release of iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 will be the most tested releases ever by Apple. Obviously there will be some loose ends to tie up and OS X 10.11.1 is out already for that purpose.

This time around the stupidity of the “Didn’t they test this?” crowd will be obvious.

• Reply 2 of 19
    I've been running 10.11 for weeks; through the last several DP releases. It is one hell of an improvement over Yosemite in so many small ways, and it's so buttery smooth in everything. Kudos Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    adhir wrote: »
    I've been running 10.11 for weeks; through the last several DP releases. It is one hell of an improvement over Yosemite in so many small ways, and it's so buttery smooth in everything. Kudos Apple.

Well put, I'm experiencing the same level of satisfaction. One thing I don't understand though is why does Appleinsider keep downplaying this update. It is very significant in my mind. Lots of good "new stuff" and silky smooth.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

In the updated Safari, I don't want "Open in New Tabs", which shoves yet another set of tabs into the current window along side the existing tabs. I want the classic behavior, "Open in Tabs", which replaces all existing tabs with my selection.

Anybody know how to restore the old behavior?

• Reply 5 of 19

Yeah, I was sure this was a bug but now it seems a feature... 

• Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Glad to see this. At some point you have shoot the engineers and start production. The release of iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 will be the most tested releases ever by Apple. Obviously there will be some loose ends to tie up and OS X 10.11.1 is out already for that purpose.

This time around the stupidity of the “Didn’t they test this?” crowd will be obvious.

ROFLMAO

I had a good laugh with this one  I'll remember it the next time I try to install an iOS 8.x simulator in Xcode 7 under 10.11 and it fails.  Also, I'll remember it as I speculate why Time Machine doesn't automatically run every hour and I have to start it manually under 10.11 (yes, TM is turned on).

• Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adhir View Post

"Buttery smooth"  Sure.  I'll remember that the next time I get the Black Screen of Death.

• Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

"Buttery smooth"  Sure.  I'll remember that the next time I get the Black Screen of Death.

You are precisely who I was talking about when I mentioned the “Didn’t they test this?” crowd. Sounds to me more like user incompetence than bugs.

• Reply 9 of 19
    lkrupp wrote: »

You are precisely who I was talking about when I mentioned the “Didn’t they test this?” crowd. Sounds to me more like user incompetence than bugs.

You keep implying the released updates of yosemite have all been successes, that there is no chance for a legitimate opinion of "This shouldn't have made it through beta".

You either haven't done the updates in the past few years or don't read others experiences elsewhere. That's a statement pretty easy to blow cannonballs sized holes in as far as Apple's updates in the past few years. Apple has been playing the game of getting the updates out on a schedule rather than when they're ready (not perfect, ready) more than ever. It's clearly not where they're spending their money.

A million examples of user error wouldn't disprove that.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

You keep implying the released updates of yosemite have all been successes, that there is no chance for a legitimate opinion of "This shouldn't have made it through beta".

You either haven't done the updates in the past few years or don't read others experiences elsewhere. That's a statement pretty easy to blow cannonballs sized holes in as far as Apple's updates in the past few years. Apple has been playing the game of getting the updates out on a schedule rather than when they're ready (not perfect, ready) more than ever. It's clearly not where they're spending their money.

A million examples of user error wouldn't disprove that.

And your “Steve is dead, Apple is going down the tubes” argument is laughable. Utter nonsense and it exposes your real motive here.

• Reply 11 of 19

>El Capitan is largely a polish of last year's OS X 10.10 Yosemite, but will gain a handful of key new features like Split View, an enhanced Mission Control, and performance improvements.

Um, actually SIP (System Integrity Protection) is a pretty big deal.

• Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

And your “Steve is dead, Apple is going down the tubes” argument is laughable. Utter nonsense and it exposes your real motive here.

Dude, quit while you're behind.  Product quality is going down.  I just had my system hang again.  I couldn't even ssh in from my Macbook to try and kill the login process.  On my iPad, iOS 9 WiFi is locking up every so often requiring a reboot.

Check out the 10.11 beta forums:  https://forums.developer.apple.com/community/pre-release/os-x-1011-beta

• Reply 13 of 19
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    rickers wrote: »

Dude, quit while you're behind.  Product quality is going down.  I just had my system hang again.  I couldn't even ssh in from my Macbook to try and kill the login process.  On my iPad, iOS 9 WiFi is locking up every so often requiring a reboot.

Check out the 10.11 beta forums:  https://forums.developer.apple.com/community/pre-release/os-x-1011-beta

Pre-release software is not a "product".

Is your iPad on the officially released version of iOS 9? (No wifi problems here.)
  • Reply 14 of 19

ROFLMAO
    I had a good laugh with this one  I'll remember it the next time I try to install an iOS 8.x simulator in Xcode 7 under 10.11 and it fails.  Also, I'll remember it as I speculate why Time Machine doesn't automatically run every hour and I have to start it manually under 10.11 (yes, TM is turned on).

You're seeing bugs in unreleased software that you're using on your primary work machine?

Are you for real?

I miss the days when Apple betas were run either by developers who knew what they were getting into, or freaks who acquired them illegally and knew what they were getting into...

*sigh*
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

Pre-release software is not a "product".

Is your iPad on the officially released version of iOS 9? (No wifi problems here.)

Yes, it's retail.  But, I'm glad to hear you're not having problems.  That must mean no one else is having problems, too.

An OSX GM seed should not have this many serious problems.  The fact that 10.11.1 is already in beta shows that there are problems.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

You're seeing bugs in unreleased software that you're using on your primary work machine?

Are you for real?

I miss the days when Apple betas were run either by developers who knew what they were getting into, or freaks who acquired them illegally and knew what they were getting into...

*sigh*

What is your explanation going to be for the problems when they are still present in 10 days when the GM seed becomes the release?

• Reply 17 of 19

Yes, it's retail.  But, I'm glad to hear you're not having problems.  That must mean no one else is having problems, too.

An OSX GM seed should not have this many serious problems.  The fact that 10.11.1 is already in beta shows that there are problems.

You are a developer? Seriously?

There hasn't been an OS release in history where the first bug fix update wasn't in the works by the time the initial version shipped.

Of course there are bugs. Always have been. Always will be.

It's ridiculous to expect an OS to ever be completely bug-free, but my point was that to publicly complain about bugs to anyone but the developer before the final version has even been released is either ignorant or willfully malignant. Any actual developer should know this.
  • Reply 18 of 19

Oh, absolutely not. But I figured that someone running pre-release software on a production machine and publicly complaining about bugs in that software for the sake of an Internet argument wouldn't be above running pre-release software on his iPad and complaining about bugs in that, as well, so I thought I'd ask.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

And your “Steve is dead, Apple is going down the tubes” argument is laughable. 

If you gleaned a “Steve is dead, Apple is going down the tubes” argument in my post you didn't read it.

Quote:

Utter nonsense and it exposes your real motive here.

You're reaffirming that your claim that Apple's beta system is perfect and I'm merely disputing that.   

Exposes my real motive here?   :rolleyes: