iOS 9 power-saving tactics include cutting display power for face-down devices

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55

Oddly, my battery life was terrible the day I installed iOS 9. Now, I've noticed a big improvement in battery life. 

• Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Oddly, my battery life was terrible the day I installed iOS 9. Now, I've noticed a big improvement in battery life. 

That is normal Major iOS updates regenerate the spotlight database which takes a hit on battery life.
    Always better to wait a few days before trying battery duration checks.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

My phone is on do not disturb mode most of the time, I have my mail set to check for new mail when I open the app. I hope the battery saving mode has some really cool features that I don't know about, otherwise I don't think I'll notice much of a difference from the way I currently use my phone.

CPU is throttled a bit and display auto-lock/timeout is much quicker.

• Reply 44 of 55
    Just like the lessons from iPhone were brought back to improve the Mac, the lessons from Watch are now going to improve iOS. It's a nice cycle.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Yes ... and google and samsung are gonna call it ... wait for it ... OBVIOUS!

The funny thing is that those things Apple supposedly copied from Android... Already existed in the APPLE JAILBREAKS or various desktops, including OSX... Before they even got to Android.

Not, only that but the Android implementation was often more half assed than the one they were copying from in their first few iterations!

So much selective memory from Androitites...

• Reply 46 of 55
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

They have had it for a while. However, the implementation is different. On android, your screen goes to a very limited number of apps the display is black and white.  Apple's does more in the background, so it really depends on your preference. 

Apple's implementation is a lot classier and smoother. I don't even notice a difference when it's on.

Sammy's if I remember correctly turns the screen black and white and has limited functions like calling and texting.
  • Reply 47 of 55

And if you still need more power, there's always Mophie.

http://www.mophie.com

• Reply 48 of 55
    nasserae wrote: »

Your traffic app is not actually running for hours in background since they are limited to few minutes then put to suspension state.

I see lots of people killing/clearing their "open" apps thinking that it will improve the battery life and performance. That's not how iOS works.

Actually, there are ways of extending the background execution time beyond 10mins for apps that use specific features like background location, VoIP, music streaming/playback. Very simple ways, in fact. It's up to the developer to be responsible with the CPU usage otherwise the thread will be killed by iOS. But iOS will not forcefully kill a light-running thread of an app that has background running justified by supporting the previously-mentioned features it has. Some apps also utilize silent notifications which will wake the app in the background to do its thing. But if you kill the app, silent notifications won't wake it anymore.

Tl;dr; version: it's not a myth and killing open apps actually can help with battery life.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    I have IOS 9 on my 6 and my battery screen does not look like this. I only have last 24 hours and last 7 days, not last 3 hours as shown. Do I have a different version?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Just like the lessons from iPhone were brought back to improve the Mac, the lessons from Watch are now going to improve iOS. It's a nice cycle.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Just like the lessons from iOS were copied to improve Android, more lessons from iOS are now going to improve Android. It's a nice cycle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Quote:

The funny thing is that those things Apple supposedly copied from Android... Already existed in the APPLE JAILBREAKS or various desktops, including OSX... Before they even got to Android.

Not, only that but the Android implementation was often more half assed than the one they were copying from in their first few iterations!

So much selective memory from Androitites...

I am confused about what happened here. :???:

• Reply 51 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    " ...extreme attention to detail, implementing things like face-down power restrictions ..."

Poor Australians.. ;)
  • Reply 52 of 55
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    jeffdanger wrote: »
    I have IOS 9 on my 6 and my battery screen does not look like this. I only have last 24 hours and last 7 days, not last 3 hours as shown. Do I have a different version?

I saw the "last 3 hours" header immediately after installing iOS 9. After a day, it is no longer shown.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JonsMind View Post

Seriously!  Why the heck do I need my screen to turn on when it's faced down..

Maybe I'm in a hospital bed.

• Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raz0r View Post

Actually, there are ways of extending the background execution time beyond 10mins for apps that use specific features like background location, VoIP, music streaming/playback. Very simple ways, in fact. It's up to the developer to be responsible with the CPU usage otherwise the thread will be killed by iOS. But iOS will not forcefully kill a light-running thread of an app that has background running justified by supporting the previously-mentioned features it has. Some apps also utilize silent notifications which will wake the app in the background to do its thing. But if you kill the app, silent notifications won't wake it anymore.

Tl;dr; version: it's not a myth and killing open apps actually can help with battery life.

As a developer, I second this.

• Reply 55 of 55

Can the face-down devices feature be overridden?  I use my phone as my alarm clock (using an app, not the built-in clock) and play music at night.  It disabled both of those things last night, and I was late to work this morning.