Inside iOS 9: Apple's iPad-only 'Picture in Picture' mode lets you keep watching video with any task

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, it's a very OS X/desktop-like feature. In that respect, it really is different from what we've seen in iOS.

I would go even further, the PIP video seems -very- iOS like to me. There are countless example of a window popping on top of your application (both modal and non-modal) Granted they are typically in app or system or services related but the concept (of a window floating in a plane above your app) already seems very familiar to me in iOS (even more so than the concept of sliding panes use for running apps side by side which seems very different. Not bad mind you, but new)

• Reply 62 of 78
    You can view YouTube videos with this. Just replace youtube.com/watch?v= or youtu.be/ with YouTube.com/embed/
  • Reply 63 of 78
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Does this work with FaceTime or Skype? If not, what a huge missed opportunity.

why don't you try it to find out before criticizing it. just a thought.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    ascii wrote: »
    With this feature the iPad gets it's first window, and with iCloud Drive it gets a user visible filesystem (albeit a remote one). It's becoming a fully fledged computer.

it's been a fully fledged computer since 2010.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why don't you try it to find out before criticizing it. just a thought.

If you read my post again, you'll see I said "If not"... so it's not an actual criticism. I was stating how I *would* feel if it wasn't supported. I don't have an iOS 9 device to try it out on.

Next time, why not just be a good sport and answer my question. Just a thought. :)

• Reply 66 of 78
    I notice as I was accessing a video feed on podcast the features worked as promise however no iOS 9 users are face with a new dilemma The on ability to view video on fullscreen is no missing unless I'm doing something wrong I now can not get rid of the large white borders located on top and bottom of my screen. Idk if this is something related to my hardware (iPad mini 2) or a setting that can be disable. The white borders are obtrusive and ugly.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    You would have needed to get a new one anyway if you want to continue using Apple Products and services I.e battery charge cycle limitations, iOS support to name a few
  • Reply 68 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It also gives purpose to the Air 2's impressive internals, because iOS as it is definitely didn't need a tri-core CPU and eight core GPU. :lol:

Actually it does need that power, even on iOS 8 it allows for a new generation of apps. Frankly it also makes the slower apps bearable.

I'm not sure where this idea that iPad is fast enough comes from, there is much that could be improved with even faster hardware. One thing that people are missing here is that Apple has moved forward each year with faster hardware while lowering the power profile. IPad is very much bleeding edge technology and as such impressive but that doesn't mean it is good enough.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Q
    dewme wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that the original iPad Air didn't make the cut for multitasking support, only PIP. It's a pretty beefy unit but I guess the scrimping on RAM may have been its downfall. Still, I'd expect a highly motivated embedded software developer worth his salt would have found a way to not only make it work on the Air but work very well. I wonder if Apple has any Woz-like geniuses in their iOS ranks who can handle problems like this? It's not like competing platforms haven't been able to pull off similar capability on lesser hardware than the original iPad Air. Maybe I'm overly optimistic or biased by wishful thinking but seeing what I consider to be an extremely capable platform not make the cut is very disappointing.

Being cheap on RAM is likely the issue here. What many people don't realize is that by going to 2 GB in iPad Air 2, Apple gave apps more than 4 times as much RAM to work with. This is a massive difference. The exact amount of free RAM varies a bit nut what people need to understand is that a 1GB machine has a good portion of the RAM already allocated to video and system usage. This is one reason why 2 GB is nothing to sneeze at but at the same time isn't ideal for the hardware either.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    ascii wrote: »
    With this feature the iPad gets it's first window, and with iCloud Drive it gets a user visible filesystem (albeit a remote one). It's becoming a fully fledged computer.
    Apples idea of what the cloud can do for users and mine haven't completely aligned yet. I like the syncing between platforms but Apples approach to general file handling just sucks. It is perhaps the most frustrating thing for me about iOS.
    Though, like DED has said in some of the AI podcasts, when I am using my Mac I usually have a lot of things open and going on at once (at the moment 6 programs all open and visible at once), more than just the 2 + a video supported by the iPad. So I would feel a bit cramped on an iPad still.

At least for me it isn't the number of apps open that is an issue, it is the freedom to open files and documents with any tool I choose that makes an iPad a completely different platform than my Mac.

A minor edit:

In my mind iPads greatest weakness is the lack of a local file store that all apps can reach. This severely limits the utility of the platform to a greater extent than the lack of multitasking.

On a separate note iPad is great for reducing clutter on your Mac. Run Dash on your iPAd and you can then run the IDE of your choice on your Mac full screen. Your API documentation is then clearly available. iPad is great for supporting users at their Mac, especially on smaller screen laptops.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

This feature should be on the iPhone Plus models too!!! 

Why, so you can watch a 1.6”x0.9” video? 

• Reply 72 of 78

yawn..... My Galaxy S4 did this in 2013. S6 edge does it today. Why limit this to the iPad when it's clearly a software feature that would work on any device?

• Reply 73 of 78

Galaxy S3, 2012.

• Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why, so you can watch a 1.6”x0.9” video? 

why not?

Galaxy S3, 2012.

• Reply 75 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

it's been a fully fledged computer since 2010.

Can it run Crysis? Can it run Photoshop CS6? Can it play DVDs? Doesn't even have a USB port!

• Reply 76 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowclouds3 View Post

Is this ipad air 2 only? Will this work in ipad air 1?

Works on the Samsung Galaxy S3 from 2012 though ;)

Galaxy S3, 2012.

• Reply 77 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That means no YouTube, it doesn't support background playback.

And Googs is unlikely to support it. They can't have you hiding ads off screen.

I can do this on my S6 edge.. either split view or run any app in a pop up window.

• Reply 78 of 78

Embedded video is actually supported by PiP.

Replace youtu.be/ or youtube.com/watch?v= with youtube.com/embed/

Doesn't work in Mobile Safari if the YouTube app is installed - uninstall it or use a third party browser.