Comparing Apple's 4th-gen Apple TV with the competition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    The reviewer failed to emphasise ATV has AirPlay, which fundamentally means it has almost any app from iOS. I merrily watch Amazon video on my ATV without a skip or a stutter. This I think gives ATV a clear advantage.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Or just use a new or old Mac mini as media center. Much more powerful and gives you full freedom to share items even using USB pendrives.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    A bit unimpressed by what's been promised by the new AppleTV but very eagerly anticipating it.... Question is, will I like it enough to buy two! Like ATV3!
  • Reply 24 of 145
    One year ago I made a little reseach that both atv and chromecast output all content from Netflix at 60Hz to hdmi. Anybody know any devices that handle 24 and 25Hz from Netflix?
  • Reply 25 of 145
    robertc wrote: »
    I'm surprised the nVidia Shield TV wasn't included.  It has a higher starting price, but it offers a lot more than most of these devices.

for all those specs, it doesn't do my prime use cases -- iTunes content, and AirPlay. to me that makes it useless.

with AirPlay I can play back content from any provider on ATV.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    london11 wrote: »
    A bit unimpressed by what's been promised by the new AppleTV but very eagerly anticipating it.... Question is, will I like it enough to buy two! Like ATV3!

unimpressed, yet eagerly anticipating it.... tough audience.
  • Reply 27 of 145
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I wish they'd release a channel store for the ATV 3, that's all that most people actually want.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    saarek wrote: »
    I wish they'd release a channel store for the ATV 3, that's all that most people actually want.

they did. it's called the new Apple TV. apps can be channels, or they can be something other. with a better remote for discovery. and local storage for games or apps. that's the better solution.
  • Reply 29 of 145
    I'm finally upgrading my first gen, but I'll be keeping my Roku till Amazon Prime is available.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    customtb wrote: »
    I'm finally upgrading my first gen, but I'll be keeping my Roku till Amazon Prime is available.

if that's the only reason you're hanging onto two devices, you may wanna try beaming Amazon content to ATV via AirPlay. works very well, just finished Hand of God this way.
  • Reply 31 of 145
    nolamacguy wrote: »

if that's the only reason you're hanging onto two devices, you may wanna try beaming Amazon content to ATV via AirPlay. works very well, just finished Hand of God this way.

So your 2 device solution is another 2 device solution?
  • Reply 32 of 145
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So your 2 device solution is another 2 device solution?

Yeah, the reason I'm not getting an ATV 3 is that tying up my iPhone or iPad with Airplay does not sound appealing, and for streaming I need Ethernet these days.
  • Reply 33 of 145

A box that can only scream and basically doesn't do anything else? No, thank you. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBKLYN View Post

ATV 3 will remain a screaming only box with no support for games and such.

• Reply 34 of 145
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Prime content sucks vs Netflix. I have both and rarely used Prime for the reason.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Something it failed to mention: ISP data cap at 250-300GB is still reality crippling all of these streaming devices. 4K support? Who gives the shit at this point? After a few movies streamed, you're done for a month. Also, the internet services are not really reliable. My Comcast service was intermittently down which caused my streaming experience sucked and made me stay with Dish until now.
  • Reply 36 of 145
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Yeah, the reason I'm not getting an ATV 3 is that tying up my iPhone or iPad with Airplay does not sound appealing, and for streaming I need Ethernet these days.

I've never had an issue with tying up my devices. When I'm watching a movie, I don't necessarily need to use any of my other devices for anything else. And given that my Mac, iPad, and iPhone are all interconnected (by the way -- is the ?TV connected to the iCloud hand-off networking?), there's no real problem taking a call or answering a text message on another device.

What I will grant you is the Ethernet issue. Apple has been dropping native support for Ethernet every year on every device. I'm still quite frankly stunned that the iPad still can't be used with Ethernet on corporate hard wired networks, and other areas where reliable wireless support isn't available. A simple dongle could get the iPad online, and thus solve this problem for you and others. The AirPlay peer to peer streaming is flawless, so it's really just a matter of the data bottleneck streaming HD content over a wireless connection.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Something it failed to mention: ISP data cap at 250-300GB is still reality crippling all of these streaming devices. 4K support? Who gives the shit at this point? .
    People who bought an iPhone 6S who want to watch the 4K videos they're going to be shooting, and share them with a room full of people during the holidays and other gatherings in 4K. People who edit 4K videos on iMovie, and would like to show those to an audience in 4K.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

People who bought an iPhone 6S who want to watch the 4K videos they're going to be shooting, and share them with a room full of people during the holidays and other gatherings in 4K. People who edit 4K videos on iMovie, and would like to show those to an audience in 4K.

I plan to get 6s when it's available in my country but the first thing I'll do when I get is to check all this 4K video recording off. I'm not silly.

• Reply 39 of 145
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    it's not been stated that it will work with any app; Cue named the few services it will work with at launch but promised more.

It will probably use the same unified search technique available in iOS 9 so app developers are free to implement it. So right now search works with the apps Eddy Cue mentioned, but by the end of the year you will find more support.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    The A8 processor appears to be perfectly capable of 4K video: http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/21/apples-a8-soc-reportedly-capable-of-4k-video-output-may-pave-way-for-ultra-high-resolution-apple-tv

My guess is that instead of putting s check mark next to another feature that's not going to effect the majority of consumers, they focused on every other aspect of the device: usability.

Assuming the HDMI components are up to speed, it's probably something they can provide in an update. Remember that they want developers to produce their content before Christmas. If they had to produce 4K assets, the games could be delayed. Wait until you get market penetration and the update at WWDC.