Apple starts shipping out iPhone 6s, 6s Plus preorders for Sept. 25 arrival

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Ahead of an official iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus launch on Sept. 25, Apple and partner wireless carriers began informing preorder customers on Saturday that their devices are now in transit, scheduled to arrive on Friday.

A number of customers who preordered Apple's latest smartphone last week, including AppleInsider readers like Sydney, began to receive automated email notifications containing iPhone 6s and 6s Plus shipment tracking information. The correspondence sent from both Apple and participating launch-day carriers notes free overnight shipping, but a delivery date of Sept. 25, meaning logistics providers will likely collect stock in warehouses before executing synchronized deliveries on Sept. 25.

It is unclear how Apple is conducting fulfillment operations, however, as some orders placed just minutes after pre-sales went live last week are still being processed, while others placed hours later are already en route.

Currently, Apple's U.S. website reflects stable supply of most iPhone 6s configurations, save for a two to three week wait time for new rose gold versions. iPhone 6s Plus stock is more constrained, with all colors, capacities and carriers showing estimated availability in three to four weeks. Other launch countries are exhibiting similar preorder limitations, though China completely sold out of its launch supply within one day.

Aside from preorder customers, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus is scheduled to land at Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores on Friday. Launch day crowds might be larger than usual this year, as Apple is offering a new iPhone Upgrade Program that for now is restricted to in-store sales. Those interested can reserve an iPhone 6s and 6s Plus through Apple's website, but have to visit an Apple Store for payment and eligibility processing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    I preordered from Verizon and my tracking information says expected delivery date is Tuesday 9/22!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    I preordered from Verizon and my tracking information says expected delivery date is Tuesday 9/22!

Expect it to be held for delivery until the 25th. I can only recall only one year that delivery was done a day or two early, which I assume was an accident.
  • Reply 3 of 37

I ordered from Verizon and my phone is being delivered this coming Monday.

• Reply 4 of 37
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I ordered from Verizon and my phone is being delivered this coming Monday.

The 21st? Good luck with that.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

The 21st? Good luck with that.

Yep. Phone actually shipped on Friday and arrived at local Fed Ex location today. A friend of mine at Fed Ex will deliver it on Monday. 

• Reply 6 of 37

Yep. Phone actually shipped on Friday and arrived at local Fed Ex location today. A friend of mine at Fed Ex will deliver it on Monday. 

1) Has he done that in the past?

2) Is that legal when it's not suppose to arrive until the 25th?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:

1) Has he done that in the past?

2) Is that legal when it's not suppose to arrive until the 25th?

Nope. I tried to but the issue was the phone sat at the main Fed Ex distribution center 45 minutes from here. On release day, phones are flown to where I live. My local Fed Ex location is actually at the airport so planes fly in there daily from the city where the distribution center is. Someone actually made a mistake and put my phone on the plane today so that's why its at my local Fed Ex location. 

I asked him about if he would get in trouble, but he's going to keep the box it shipped in and scan it on Friday just to be safe. He's just helping me out since something came up with work and I'll be out of town on Friday. 

• Reply 8 of 37
    Someone actually made a mistake and put my phone on the plane today so that's why its at my local Fed Ex location.

I don't think that's a mistake. As we've seen in the past, they get these devices to their local hubs days in advance since there are simply so many being sent from China.
    I asked him about if he would get in trouble, but he's going to keep the box it shipped in and scan it on Friday.

More power to you and that's cool that's doing that for you, but that does sound like something that could get him fired. I'm not sure if FedEX and UPS have the same legal issues with mail tampering as USPS, but if they do, I wonder if that could technically be considered mail tampering.

(If you want to delete you comments on this matter, I'll check back in a few minutes and do the same).
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

I don't think that's a mistake. As we've seen in the past, they get these devices to their local hubs days in advance since there are simply so many being sent from China.

More power to you and that's cool that's doing that for you, but that does sound like something that could get him fired. I'm not sure if FedEX and UPS have the same legal issues with mail tampering as USPS, but if they do, I wonder if that could technically be considered mail tampering.

(If you want to delete you comments on this matter, I'll check back in a few minutes and do the same).

I highly doubt there is anything illegal with delivering a package early. The shipper (Apple) is just requesting a future delivery date. Delivering a package early probably doesn't have any legal ramifications to it. People receive iPhones early every release so that doesn't seem like it's a big deal. If UPS/Fed Ex started delivering thousands of phones early, I'm sure that would be grounds for Apple to terminate any contract they have with Fed Ex/UPS. 

• Reply 10 of 37

I highly doubt there is anything illegal with delivering a package early. The shipper (Apple) is just requesting a future delivery date. Delivering a package early probably doesn't have any legal ramifications to it. People receive iPhones early every release so that doesn't seem like it's a big deal. If UPS/Fed Ex started delivering thousands of phones early, I'm sure that would be grounds for Apple to terminate any contract they have with Fed Ex/UPS. 

Maybe you should contact Gizmodo and ask them if they'd like to borrow your phone for an early hands on review?

????
  • Reply 11 of 37

Although these phones are supposed to be held till the 25th, there's always been 100s or 1000s ?? that mistakenly get delivered early. 

• Reply 12 of 37
    Just don't get your hopes up for an on time delivery of a 6S+ if you ordered from AT&T. A rep on the phone told me nobody's getting one from them before October 16th.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    solipsismy wrote: »
    More power to you and that's cool that's doing that for you, but that does sound like something that could get him fired.

I think SolipsismY is right about this. More generally, it could also lead to Apple getting into a spat with FedEx.

Good luck to you and your friend.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    pk22901 wrote: »
    Although these phones are supposed to be held till the 25th, there's always been 100s or 1000s ?? that mistakenly get delivered early. 

Not sure about that. I'd like to see a cite.

That notwithstanding, accommodating a friend's travel (or some other personal) schedule is not something that a rules-bound employee of a Fortune 500 company would normally do when multi-billion dollar client relationships are involved. Think about the implications if this were to happen on a wider scale. Why not special shipments to girlfriends, boyfriends, children, grandma, son-in-law's boss, local pastor...
  • Reply 15 of 37

Agreed. If they get their phones early, who cares? It's only arbitrary dates established by Apple. Congrats to those that get theirs Monday or Tuesday :)
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Androids have been doing this for years.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    freshmaker wrote: »
    It's only arbitrary dates established by Apple

If it's a non-issue and only arbitrary dates set by Apple, then 1) why is his friend going to hold the box until Friday before scanning it in, and 2) why does Apple established any dates at all that FedEx agrees to if they mean absolutely nothing to either of those companies?
  • Reply 18 of 37

First. I received my iPhone 5 a day early and, being surprised, noticed that there were more than a few reports on early arrivals. Since then, there's always been reports about some early arrivals. I am guessing that the total numbers are in the 100s or 1000s (Hypothesis: No one is going to jail or losing a job because of an early delivery, so they must happen.)

Second. You are unsure. And I think this reply is all I'll put into this minor point. zIt's fine if you're still unsure. 

• Reply 19 of 37

I love my iPhone6, but I'm really excited about this new phone - if I could afford to break my contract, I'd do it...

plus, I'm thinking it would be good to get my 2-year schedule aligned with the 's' years...they seem to be 

significant upgrades...

BTW - as to the early delivery thing, you all have good points, but I think the most significant thing is,

that what SolipsismY is warning about are the consequences of a deliberate act, not a hapless blunder, and so 

could conceivably be viewed quite differently by both companies.  

I hope no one suffers, but I don't think I'd be taunting at this point.;) 

• Reply 20 of 37
    boredumb wrote: »
    I love my iPhone6, but I'm really excited about this new phone - if I could afford to break my contract, I'd do it...
    plus, I'm thinking it would be good to get my 2-year schedule aligned with the 's' years...they seem to be 
    significant upgrades...

Have you looked into what it would cost to pay off your ETF and then sell your iPhone 6? Chances are you'll come out a little ahead. The only caveat I see is you'd have to change carriers to do this (I think like 30 to 60 days). The other option is to just maintain your current contract but then buy the new device off-contract and then sell your old one, which should yield you more than 50% of the value. The caveat that there is your contracted plan will be charging you for the old phone as part of your monthly fee.