Vogue snaps 12MP images, 4K video at New York Fashion Week using Apple's new iPhone 6S Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple's latest iPhone 6s family hasn't yet reached the public, but Vogue landed an early access model in time to capture New York Fashion Week.

Vogue obtained a pre-release iPhone 6s Plus to shoot NYFW

The fashion magazine assigned its early-access iPhone 6s Plus to Kevin Lu, an iPhone photographer Apple has previously featured in its "shot on iPhone 6" promotional campaigns.

With the ability to capture 12 megapixel images and 4K video, the new iPhone 6s models greatly enhance the detail of iPhone photographs. The new phones' camera hardware is also faster.

"It's a lot quicker, so I can get more shots that I want, so I don't miss much," Lu was cited as stating in a report by Vogue.

"I also do videography, so the 4K video is really helpful because the quality is absolutely insane on a mobile phone and you can see a lot of detail," he added.

Apple's latest iPhone 6s models ship this week, along with support for iOS 9's new Live Photos, a feature that incorporates ambient sound and the animated context of a captured photograph.

Two years ago, Apple offered pre-release iPhone 5s units to Burberry in a collaboration to shoot the label's fashion show in September 2013.

Video captured by the new devices showed off their new ability to capture 120 fps Slomo videos of models strutting the catwalk while golden leaves fell from the sky.

Last year, Apple took advantage of Paris Fashion Week to introduce early editions of Apple Watch to a variety of prominent fashion-world celebrities including supermodel Karlie Kloss, Vogue editor Anna Wintour and Chanel creative head Karl Lagerfeld.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    GoPro shares could fall due strong competition: Barron's - Reuters
    https://apple.news/AYqnIa-baQVCCssEguETucg
  • Reply 2 of 29
    News Fail.

Unfortunately, DED seems to have missed the bigger story that the photographer (intentionally or otherwise) actually took these photos with last year's iPhone 6 Plus, rather than with the new iPhone 6S Plus. Come on, Daniel, you're supposed to be one of the few tech journalists who pays attention to the details...

http://resourcemagonline.com/2015/09/did-vogue-lie-about-using-an-iphone-6s-in-those-fashion-week-photos/58577/vogue-fashion-week-iphone-6s-exif-data/

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/3ljoao/vogue_lies_about_using_the_iphone_6s_in_a_fashion/

if anything, this story illustrates the gullibility of people fawning over sample photos from a new smartphone without demanding comparison photos from the previous model or from competing smartphones taken under identical conditions.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

GoPro shares could fall due strong competition: Barron's - Reuters

https://apple.news/AYqnIa-baQVCCssEguETucg

That has nothing to do with Apple. The GoPro and the iPhone do not compete with each other in any way whatsoever.

The GoPro is a device optimized for action videos in grueling conditions, designed to withstand significant shock, dust, and water immersion while being very small, and complimented by a wide assortment of accessories for mounting on different surfaces. On the flip side, it has limited battery life and is extremely cumbersome to use under more casual conditions, not to mention that it isn't also a smartphone.

The iPhone's camera takes great photos and video with unparalleled ease but it is highly susceptible to damage from exposure to shock, dirt, and/or water. It is also much larger than a GoPro, especially when housed in one of few available protective housings housings.

Nobody carries a GoPro for taking spontaneous photos and videos. Nobody relies on an iPhone for capturing professional POV videos of surfers, snowboarders, mountain bikers, and sky divers.

If GoPro sales are suffering, it's because a) it is relatively expensive and difficult to use, b) several other tiny, POV video cameras have entered the market, an c) the market for these specialty cameras is relatively small.

• Reply 4 of 29

They used the wrong photos, look at the reddit link again. They have updated the photos to the new ones.

• Reply 5 of 29

I love the Apple strategy of courting the glitterati. I think it is a very astute strategy and an area where maybe only Samsung can get into using big wads of cash. Apple most certainly doesn't get this coverage for free, but I would imagine that the recent hires from the fashion and design world help a long way to build bridges.

Things like this keeps enhancing the aspirational aspects of the Apple brand and helps to make people who would not normally afford an iPhone save up to buy one.

I also think that Apple is getting more comfortable being a lifestyle brand rather than a technology provider. Good times.

• Reply 6 of 29
    The go pro session is awesome for spontaneous photos and videos for events with activity. you can give it to kids and not be afraid they will break it.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    freediverx wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with Apple. The GoPro and the iPhone do not compete with each other in any way whatsoever.

Did you actually read the article I linked?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Did you actually read the article I linked?

Yes I did, and it's nonsense.

"Barron's said investors in GoPro are "skittish" about the company's ability to ward off competition from Apple Inc APPL.O [sic], which has upgraded the camera on its iPhone to produce more high resolution video."

That statement reveals a complete misunderstanding of GoPro's market. Nobody buys a GoPro as a compact camera or as an alternative to a smartphone. It has a much narrower market which is separate from while also overlapping with buyers of smartphones and other cameras. It's main competition comes from other weather- and shock-resistant POV cameras. Barriers to GoPro's future growth include said competition from other POV cameras as well as the limited niche market for such devices when compared to that of smartphones and conventional cameras.

• Reply 9 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

News Fail.

Unfortunately, DED seems to have missed the bigger story that the photographer (intentionally or otherwise) actually took these photos with last year's iPhone 6 Plus, rather than with the new iPhone 6S Plus. Come on, Daniel, you're supposed to be one of the few tech journalists who pays attention to the details...

http://resourcemagonline.com/2015/09/did-vogue-lie-about-using-an-iphone-6s-in-those-fashion-week-photos/58577/vogue-fashion-week-iphone-6s-exif-data/

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/3ljoao/vogue_lies_about_using_the_iphone_6s_in_a_fashion/

if anything, this story illustrates the gullibility of people fawning over sample photos from a new smartphone without demanding comparison photos from the previous model or from competing smartphones taken under identical conditions.

Uh, the reddit link updated to indicate that there was a mistake and that the iPhone 6s Plus photos were posted.

"UPDATE: The photographer came through. It was a mistake and they used the wrong photos. The new ones have been posted and are actually a lot better than I thought they would be: http://i.imgur.com/Nszradn.jpg (6 on the left, 6S on the right). Hiding my pitchfork now."

If anything, your post and the links indicate that people as yourself are much too willing to assume conspiracy and coverup rather than a simple and correctable mistake. The velocity of the internet tends to make plenty of fools.

How's that feeling?

• Reply 10 of 29
    tmay wrote: »
    Uh, the reddit link updated to indicate that there was a mistake and that the iPhone 6s Plus photos were posted.

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);letter-spacing:.013000000268220901px;margin-bottom:.35714285714285715em;"><span style="font-style:inherit;margin:0px;">"UPDATE: The photographer came through. It was a mistake and they used the wrong photos. The new ones have been posted and are actually a lot better than I thought they would be: <a href="http://i.imgur.com/Nszradn.jpg" style="color:rgb(0,121,211);margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/Nszradn.jpg</a>;
     (6 on the left, 6S on the right). Hiding my pitchfork now."</span>
    </p>

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);letter-spacing:.013000000268220901px;margin-bottom:.35714285714285715em;"> </p>

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);letter-spacing:.013000000268220901px;margin-bottom:.35714285714285715em;">If anything, your post and the links indicate that people as yourself are much too willing to assume conspiracy and coverup rather than a simple and correctable mistake. The velocity of the internet tends to make plenty of fools.</p>

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);letter-spacing:.013000000268220901px;margin-bottom:.35714285714285715em;"> </p>

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);letter-spacing:.013000000268220901px;margin-bottom:.35714285714285715em;">How's that feeling?</p>

Problem #1: Never quote Reddit as the source of news.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

"UPDATE: The photographer came through. It was a mistake and they used the wrong photos. The new ones have been posted and are actually a lot better than I thought they would be: http://i.imgur.com/Nszradn.jpg (6 on the left, 6S on the right). Hiding my pitchfork now."

If anything, your post and the links indicate that people as yourself are much too willing to assume conspiracy and coverup rather than a simple and correctable mistake. The velocity of the internet tends to make plenty of fools.

How's that feeling?

It's great that they fessed up to their mistake and posted an actual comparison photo. But the photos referenced in the AI article are still the ones shot with the old iPhone. Nowhere in my post did I suggest any sort of conspiracy. I was calling out lazy journalism and gullible consumers. 

Also it would be nice if they had posted the original comparison photos instead of two heavily cropped images stripped of their EXIF data.

• Reply 12 of 29

Yes I did, and it's nonsense.

"<span style="color:rgb(34,34,34);line-height:1.4em;">Barron's said investors in GoPro are "skittish" about the company's ability to ward off competition from Apple Inc APPL.O [sic], which has upgraded the camera on its iPhone to produce more high resolution video."</span>

<span style="color:rgb(34,34,34);line-height:1.4em;">That statement reveals a complete misunderstanding of GoPro's market. Nobody buys a GoPro as a compact camera or as an alternative to a smartphone. It has a much narrower market which is separate from while also overlapping with buyers of smartphones and other cameras. It's main competition comes from other weather- and shock-resistant POV cameras. Barriers to GoPro's future growth include said competition from other POV </span>
    <span style="line-height:18.200000762939453px;">cameras as well as the limited niche market for such devices when compared to that of smartphones and conventional cameras.</span>

There many shock-resistant cases for iPhone. Many apps for photography. Many add-on lens. Many kinds of accessories for photography and cinematography. Tripods. Grips. All kinds. There're even professional movie making apps to shoot feature films.
    How is GoPro not scared?

If anything, it's YOU who do not understand iPhone camera capability.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

There many shock-resistant cases for iPhone. Many apps for photography. Many add-on lens. Many kinds of accessories for photography and cinematography. Tripods. Grips. All kinds. There're even professional movie making apps to shoot feature films.

How is GoPro not scared?

If anything, it's YOU who do not understand iPhone camera capability.

Once again, you're missing the point. Nobody uses a GoPro for general videography. It has a very specific use case: the need for a tiny, rugged, waterproof camera that can shoot high quality video while easily and unobtrusively mounted anywhere.

Try mounting an iPhone (in a case) on a helmet or a surfboard. Try finding an iPhone case that can be taken scuba diving while remaining small enough to fit in your pocket. Try holding an iPhone stretched out on a selfie-stick. An iPhone is very fragile, has a very limited selection of truly rugged and waterproof cases available, and is way too big (when enclosed in such a case) for POV videos where you want the camera mounted to a surfboard, helmet, etc. Also compare the cost (and risk of loss or damage) of buying multiple $700 iPhones vs $400 GoPros.

Meanwhile, a GoPro has terrible ergonomics and user interface for general purpose video. If not for its small size and rugged design, it's about the last camera you would want to use.

Unlike you, I own and use both devices for their intended purpose so I think I have a little more basis for my opinion. An iPhone secured within a (truly) waterproof, submersible case weights 1.6 lbs., while a GoPro weighs in at about 0.2 lbs. As far as size goes here's a photo to illustrate the difference:

• Reply 14 of 29

Once again, you're missing the point. Nobody uses a GoPro for general videography. It has a very specific use case: the need for a tiny, rugged, waterproof camera that can shoot high quality video while easily and unobtrusively mounted anywhere.

Try mounting an iPhone (in a case) on a helmet or a surfboard. Try finding an iPhone case that can be taken scuba diving while remaining small enough to fit in your pocket. Also compare the cost (and risk of loss or damage) of buying multiple $700 iPhones vs $400 GoPros.

A GoPro has terrible ergonomics and user interface for general purpose video. An iPhone is very fragile, has a very limited selection of truly rugged and waterproof cases available, and is way too big (when enclosed in such a case) for POV videos where you want the camera mounted to a surfboard, helmet, etc.

Today, nobody will go up the Everest to shoot documentary without GoPros. In the next couple of years, what do you think they will carry, A set of GoPro or a set of cheap iPhone 6?

Think about it.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Today, nobody will go up the Everest to shoot documentary without GoPros. In the next couple of years, what do you think they will carry, A set of GoPro or a set of cheap iPhone 6?

Try mounting an iPhone on a headband while rock climbing or snowboarding.

• Reply 16 of 29
    Try mounting an iPhone on a headband while rock climbing or snowboarding.

That actually isn't hard at all.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

That actually isn't hard at all.

Says someone who has probably done neither.

It's not just a matter of whether it's possible to mount the iPhone, but whether you would actually want that lumbering beast strapped to your head while performing some arduous, physical activity.

Cyclists invest thousands of dollars on bikes in an effort to shave off grams of weight. Which camera do you think that cyclist will want to use?

• Reply 18 of 29

Says someone who has probably done neither.

It's not just a matter of whether it's possible to mount the iPhone, but whether ou would want that lumbering beast strapped to your head while performing some arduous, physical activity.

Done neither? I'm working in film production and saw strange and bigger things than iPhone mounted on the helmet to shoot film for many years. How do you think we shot something like this in the past?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Done neither? I'm working in film production and saw strange and bigger things than iPhone mounted on the helmet to shoot film for many years. How do you think we shot something like this in the past?

So are we talking about the present and future, or about old, dated technology?

I guess you consider this to be the pinnacle of wireless telephony:

• Reply 20 of 29

So are we talking about the present and future, or about old, dated technology?

I guess you consider this to be the pinnacle of wireless telephony:

Huh? What I just said is that people had mounted something more weighty than iPhone for many years. They'll have no problem mounting iPhone at all.