iOS 9 Safari content blockers debut to demand, denouncement & a high-profile delisting

Comments

• Reply 321 of 421
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Please tell us more since you seem to know what goes on in the Armont household.

You have no idea. 

Maybe she supported his decision 100%. Maybe it was the main thing the two of them talked about for 2 days before coming to the decision of pulling the app.

Do you have any evidence that they didn't talk about it together and she didn't support his decision?

Without any evidence what you are saying is complete rubbish.

He sold what people wanted and got scared. He said this himself. You read his post.

Where did he say he got scared?

He said "it doesn't feel good".

• Reply 322 of 421
    techlover wrote: »

He said: "...It’s simply not worth it. I’m incredibly fortunate to be able to turn away an opportunity like this, and I don’t begrudge anyone else who wants to try it. I’m just not built for this business."

That's fear talking. He felt guilty making millions by blocking ads from his own ad network. Clearly a confused person. He'd not need an ad network with the windfall from the app.
  • Reply 323 of 421
    Quote:

Quote:

He said: "...It’s simply not worth it. I’m incredibly fortunate to be able to turn away an opportunity like this, and I don’t begrudge anyone else who wants to try it. I’m just not built for this business."

That's fear talking.

Is that fear talking? Really?

Seems to me that is simply him changing his mind because it doesn't feel good to him and not where he wanted to make money.

Agree to disagree on this one.

Care to answer my previous question on how much you know about what he and his wife discussed about pulling the app?

Didn't think so.  

• Reply 324 of 421

Seems to me that is simply him changing his mind because it doesn't feel good to him and not where he wanted to make money.

Care to answer my previous question on how much you know about what he and his wife discussed about pulling the app?

Didn't think so.  

What part of this was confusing to you: "What do you think his wife said when he told her..."

Try to comprehend what you're reading before you respond.
  • Reply 325 of 421

Ads aren't all the same. I don't mind publishers showing ads in ways that still allow me to see their content without annoying intrusion or distraction. But when they use pop up ads or videos that auto play (without an option to disable that), well, that drives me nuts.

We need advertising to fund content delivery, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Maybe the solution is ad blockers with granular controls over the types of ad delivery mechanisms that are blocked and data that is captured, so it isn't all-or-nothing.

• Reply 326 of 421
    booboo wrote: »
    Ads aren't all the same. I don't mind publishers showing ads in ways that still allow me to see their content without annoying intrusion or distraction. But when they use pop up ads or videos that auto play (without an option to disable that), well, that drives me nuts.

We need advertising to fund content delivery, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Maybe the solution is ad blockers with granular controls over the types of ad delivery mechanisms that are blocked and data that is captured, so it isn't all-or-nothing.

The immediate "solution" for sites will be more sponsored content, unfortunately.
  • Reply 327 of 421
    Quote:

Quote:

Didn't think so.  

What part of this was confusing to you: "What do you think his wife said when he told her..."

Try to comprehend what you're reading before you respond.

Okay I am going to try to make this as simple as a scenario that even you can understand and won't be confused.

Marco: "Honey I think I am going to pull Peace from the app store, it just doesn't feel good."

Tiff: "Well I support your decision 100% and I know we are better off if you feel good."

So please, try and comprehend that before you respond.

• Reply 328 of 421
    Quote:

That's fear talking. He felt guilty making millions by blocking ads from his own ad network. Clearly a confused person. He'd not need an ad network with the windfall from the app.

Thanks for confirming that you were putting words in his mouth and that he never referred to fear. Unlike many, he just happens to have a conscience and a sense of ethics.

• Reply 329 of 421
    freediverx wrote: »

Thanks for confirming that you were putting words in his mouth and that he never referred to fear. Unlike many, he just happens to have a conscience and a sense of ethics.

Gee, it sure is nice to be in a position to turn down millions of dollars in sales that any developer would love to have. He's a gutless weenie.
  • Reply 330 of 421
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Gee, it sure is nice to be in a position to turn down millions of dollars in sales that any developer would love to have. He's a gutless weenie.

It kind of sounds like you are more jealous than anything.

• Reply 331 of 421
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

AI can sell it and never need adverts on their site again...HAHA

• Reply 332 of 421
    Okay I am going to try to make this as simple as a scenario that even you can understand and won't be confused.

Marco: "Honey I think I am going to pull Peace from the app store, it just doesn't feel good."

Tiff: "Well I support your decision 100% and I know we are better off if you feel good."

Now THAT is a huge assumption.

I already know that his wife is hugely frustrated by his inability to make decisions, as it was recently enumerated on the ATP. Wafflers like Marco can't get out of their own way. He thinks and acts like an engineer, not a smart businessperson.
  • Reply 333 of 421
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yet the optional subscription service isn't without ads: they still get displayed. This is due to the fact that when reading the comments to the articles we get a webpage from Huddler in the app which does display ads even when one has a subscription. Not exactly something I would be proud of, especially when it now reads you are misleading your audience.

I haven't a clue where to post this... but since you mentioned "Huddler" I think it's as good as any.

TL;DR for those with ADS: I've "just" discovered that Huddler is not the problem here after a little research.

Long version but I'll keep it short. Everyone that's moaning about the performance of AI and especially these Forums, needs to check out a few of the links that I've posted below that also use Huddler as their website/forum software provider.

I went to all of the links that I'm posting below, and guess what? SUPER fast, no lags jumping threw forums... everything snappy, responsive... and looky there... ADS! Even with Blockr activated on iPad. Good ads in my opinion, because they are fed to the forum topic that talks about, reviews, or troubleshoots that product.

Really an "eye" (or *I* as in Insider) opening experience. I think everyone should give these links a try or two to see what these forums "could be".

The Community page on Huddler with additional info: http://huddlerhub.wikia.com/wiki/Communities

Sites I've tried:

http://www.head-fi.org/ <---- might be of interest to some audiophiles here if they don't already know about it.

http://www.thecatsite.com/

http://www.overclock.net/

http://www.epicski.com/

http://www.denimblog.com/c/

http://www.cheftalk.com/

Note: and before someone says a few of those sites are far smaller than AI... at the time of this writing, thecatsite is serving up pages to 571 online users while this one is only pulling 387.

Question to any AI Admins: anybody want to jump in and explain why only we here are experiencing speed-bumps, janky-scrolling, and a really poor feature set?
  • Reply 334 of 421
    Quote:

Quote:

Now THAT is a huge assumption.

I already know that his wife is hugely frustrated by his inability to make decisions, as it was recently enumerated on the ATP. Wafflers like Marco can't get out of their own way.

Meh.

I am done with you on this. You make another provably wrong statement.

Was she 'hugely frustrated'? She was not. She is fine with it. As Marco says "she tolerates me" was the worst you could possibly glean from that short exchange. Listen again to the first minute of ATP.

And that has nothing to do with Peace. Which is arguably a much larger decision than picking 4 things, or what you want to eat for dinner, or which route to take on the way home, etc.

They did a podcast together for Pete's sake, as you just mentioned yourself.

If you don't think they discussed removing Peace together then I don't know what is going through your head.

• Reply 335 of 421
    Meh.

I am done with you on this. You make another provably wrong statement.

Was she 'hugely frustrated'? She was not. She is fine with it. As Marco says "she tolerates me" was the worst you could possibly glean from that short exchange. Listen again to the first minute of ATP.

And that has nothing to do with Peace. Which is arguably a much larger decision than picking 4 things, or what you want to eat for dinner, or which route to take on the way home, etc.

They did a podcast together for Pete's sake, as you just mentioned yourself.

I<span style="line-height:1.4em;">f you don't think they discussed removing Peace together then I don't know what is going through your head.</span>

Marco: "I decided to drop my app today because it was too successful"

Wife: SLAP!
  • Reply 336 of 421

May I suggest that you're THE microcosmic reproductive organ of a person because you encapsulate what's wrong with society? Because you envy money more than you respect your conscience, family, friends and colleagues? That you're so egotistical and bitter for some reason, that you even go out of your way to belittle those that have superior ethics and morals with an attack on THEIR reproductive organs? Really?

Who's gutless in this scenario?
  • Reply 337 of 421
    Quote:

Wafflers like Marco can't get out of their own way. He thinks and acts like an engineer, not a smart businessperson.

He single-handedly created a content blocker that instantly became the top selling app in the App Store. He also created Tumblr, Instapaper, and Overcast... you might've heard of them.

What are your accomplishments as either an engineer or a businessperson?

• Reply 338 of 421
    freediverx wrote: »
    He single-handedly created a content blocker that instantly became the top selling app in the App Store. He also created Tumblr, Instapaper, and Overcast... you might've heard of them.

What are your accomplishments as either an engineer or a businessperson?

Precisely the problem. He can't get out of his own way. He's successful despite himself.
  • Reply 339 of 421
    May I suggest that you're THE microcosmic reproductive organ of a person because you encapsulate what's wrong with society? Because you envy money more than you respect your conscience, family, friends and colleagues? That you're so egotistical and bitter for some reason, that you even go out of your way to belittle those that have superior ethics and morals with an attack on THEIR reproductive organs? Really?

Who's gutless in this scenario?

It was a lame, indefensible decision. If he had maintained the leading app position, he'd be in a better position to fine tune the app for more granular control. As it is, everyone has quickly gone on to other apps with lesser capabilities, therefore MORE "harm" will be done.
  • Reply 340 of 421
    Quote:

Precisely the problem. He can't get out of his own way. He's successful despite himself.

He's a human being, not a machine. That which you characterize as a defect may be part of the reason he's so successful. I can think of a fruit company that has long suffered from similarly misguided criticism.