Apple creates mysterious 'eye in speech bubble' emoji for release in iOS 9.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
The upcoming iOS 9.1 and OS X 10.11.1 updates will include a new Apple designed emoji descriptively called "eye in speech bubble," though its meaning and intended use is not yet known.

Source: Jeremy Burge

Discovered by Emojipedia's Jeremy Burge in the latest iOS 9.1 and OS X 10.11.1 developer builds, Apple's curious emoji is not a standard Unicode glyph, but a combination of two emoji from Unicode 7.

According to Burge, Apple merged Eye and Left Speech Bubble emoji into "eye in speech bubble" using a special Unicode character called a Zero Width Joiner. The company has experience with ZWJs and previously relied on the technique to build its family emoji set, which joins Woman, Man, Girl and Boy characters in various combinations.

Interestingly, while the Unicode Consortium recognizes Apple's use of ZWJs in the family emoji lineup, it has no documentation regarding "eye in speech bubble." In fact, the new character has not been mentioned or recommended by Unicode, Burge notes.

Beta testers can find "eye in speech bubble" in iOS 9.1 by looking for an ellipses placeholder located between emoji representing playing card suit symbols and alternative speech bubble glyphs. A tap-and-hold gesture reveals an Eye and Left Speech Bubble Eye, sans the invisible ZWJ character.

The emoji's meaning has not yet been revealed, though some speculate it relates to Apple's video messaging feature or FaceTime. In any case, "eye in speech bubble" is set to debut alongside iOS 9.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Buying CBS? 8-)

• Reply 2 of 33
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    shortcut for "let's FaceTime?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Eye message. ;)

Or its by the Illuminati.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    It's an "eyeMessage"
  • Reply 5 of 33
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

Maybe it's quick code for when someone's standing next to you and capable of reading your texts, and you don't want them to see what you're talking about? 

• Reply 6 of 33

Maybe it's an Egyptian symbol...

• Reply 7 of 33
    NSA's I'm watching you tag.

The "I saw that, we need to talk" tag.
  • Reply 8 of 33

Something to do with Siri + Apple TV perhaps?

I imagine there'll be functionality allowing iPhone / iPod Touch to be used as remotes (Siri or otherwise).

This emoji could well symbolize "speaking what I want to see" or "tell Apple TV what I want to see/watch."

• Reply 9 of 33
    My guess = Siri.

Essentially, "[B]Speak[/B] to [B]look for[/B] something."
  • Reply 10 of 33

Video message?

• Reply 11 of 33
    "Eye in the speech bubble" is obviously (!) = "I see what you're saying", meaning, I get it, I understand, uhu ....I see what you're saying.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Buying CBS? 8-)

Uncanny resemblance, for sure.  "Inversed" the legacy elements, and added a bubble tail.

EDIT: better word usage

• Reply 13 of 33
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

We just want you to know that Google/the NSA/the Chinese/the Illuminati are watching you.

• Reply 14 of 33
    mgzmgz Posts: 26member

This is Quick Look for iMessage.

http://apple.wikia.com/wiki/Quick_Look

• Reply 15 of 33
    Watch what you are saying.
  • Reply 16 of 33

Maybe I am too old but I just don't understand emoji.

Other than basic faces like ;) :p :\ I am all :???: 

People send me emoji things like "Pizza Ice Cream Dog Thumbs Up x 3." 

Is it that hard to say "Lets go for pizza and ice cream, I'm bringing the dog."

It all just seems like nonsense to me.

What is the emoji for "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

• Reply 17 of 33

I don't know anyone that communicates entirely in emoji the way you describe. Typically I see them used as ornaments on an otherwise complete sentence, OR in the case where your entire sentiment can be described by one MAYBE two emojis. 

If used well, it can be amazingly concise and adaptable.

Example #1: 

Tim: I'm thinking of working out, you?

Steve: ????

Example #2:

Tim: I'm thinking of getting ice cream, chocolate or vanilla?

Steve: ????

And now you'll never look at the poop emoji the same way again... old man ????

• Reply 18 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    techlover wrote: »
    Maybe I am too old but I just don't understand emoji.

Other than basic faces like ;)  :p  :\  I am all :???:  

People send me emoji things like "Pizza Ice Cream Dog Thumbs Up x 3." 

Is it that hard to say "Lets go for pizza and ice cream, I'm bringing the dog."

It all just seems like nonsense to me.

What is the emoji for "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

That's because it usually IS nonsense.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Merged the eye & left speech bubble? Really?

Looks more like the left speech bubble and a simple white circle to me...

Maybe it's an eye-test emoji :)
  • Reply 20 of 33
    It's a sign to The Gnomes Of Zurich that Apple's takeover of the world is on.