Customer receives rose gold iPhone 6s days before launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
An early iPhone 6s preorder customer got a surprise on Monday when her brand new rose gold handset unexpectedly arrived at her doorstep days ahead of Apple's official public launch, currently scheduled for Friday.

Source: Adrienne via Twitter

A graphic designer living in San Diego, Calif., posted photographic evidence of the early delivery to Twitter, showing off what is thought to be one of the first Phone 6s handsets in public circulation. Going by the handle @MoonshineDesign, the lucky iPhone owner's post caught the eye of AT&T, which subsequently congratulated her through its official Twitter presence.

On Saturday a number of preorder customers reported seeing notifications that their iPhone 6s and 6s Plus orders had started shipping out from China, with some showing estimated delivery times by today. While Apple requests logistics providers hold preorder hardware shipments until launch day, in this case Friday, the sheer volume of iPhones being processed and stored might be straining the system.

Adding to the crush of shipments is an unusually long window between pre-sale and order fulfillment. Apple traditionally releases new iPhone models one week after preorders go live, but this year opted to wait nearly two full weeks. Some believe the delay is acting as a buffer against short launch day supply. Even with the extra time, Apple exhausted worldwide preorder stock earlier today, pushing ship-by dates back to at least one to two weeks.

As of this writing, @MoonshineDesign benchmarked the new 6s, achieving a single-core score of 2,391 and multi-core score of 4,806, and posted a video shot on the handset's 12MP iSight camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48

Mine appears to be in Kentucky with an expected delivery tomorrow!!

• Reply 2 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Mine appears to be in Kentucky with an expected delivery tomorrow!!

Good luck with that. ;)

• Reply 3 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    If those are Geekbench 3 scores, they look pretty darn good.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Pretty good? That's on par with the rMB.  The iPad Pro is going to be a performance beast.

• Reply 5 of 48

This is very cool!

If I recall Apple in the past has sometimes shipped a new product to customers a little early, but not this early.

@sd-diver fingers crossed for ya. 

• Reply 6 of 48

So rose gold looks copper?

• Reply 7 of 48
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

I hope my order ships early - expected delivery 12-19 October!  (And I'm off o/s on the 17th...)

• Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Those are Geekbench 3 scores.

• Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

pink

• Reply 10 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Those are Geekbench 3 scores.

I lifted these from macrumors;

... show the iPhone 6s has a single-core score of 2292 and a multi-core score of 4293...

Those Geekbench 3 scores are said to be after the iPhone reached operating temperatures, i.e. thermally throttled, so that would be steady state performance in theory.

The scores posted by the OP are said to be floating point scores; a different benchmark

?I'll take these early reports with a grain of salt, but it looks like performance took a nice bump, as expected.

• Reply 11 of 48

It looks nice but I want a Space Grey one this time around. I had the Gold 6+ since that was the only one available.

• Reply 12 of 48
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Yeah, and Jony Ive sleeps in a 3-piece tux.
    /s
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

I lifted these from macrumors;

... show the iPhone 6s has a single-core score of 2292 and a multi-core score of 4293...

Those Geekbench 3 scores are said to be after the iPhone reached operating temperatures, i.e. thermally throttled, so that would be steady state performance in theory.

The scores posted by the OP are said to be floating point scores; a different benchmark

?I'll take these early reports with a grain of salt, but it looks like performance took a nice bump, as expected.

That's more than a "nice bump", that's laptop speed, current laptop speed, in a phone! The A9X will be a ridiculous speed for such a compact device. This is higher than expected for the Iphone.

• Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It does to me, a new coin copper :-).

But, how real the colors are depends on lighting, color and balance of the camera.

Obviously, she didn't take a picture of the Iphone... With the new Iphone ;-).

• Reply 15 of 48

To be clear, you know that gold alloy with a rose gold color actually is mixed with cooper to achieve that look, right?
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

To be clear, you know that gold alloy with a rose gold color actually is mixed with cooper to achieve that look, right?

still looks like pink. And I'm not trying to downplay the color.  It does look nice.

• Reply 17 of 48
    seriously can't wait to get my hands on mine.

let the whiners hate. looking right at you macrumors users.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    The heading for this article should be: [B]"Customer receives iPhone 6s on Monday then proceeds to put it face down on as many damaging surfaces as possible so It needs to be returned for scratches on launch day..."[/B]
  • Reply 19 of 48
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    It looks nice but I want a Space Grey one this time around. I had the Gold 6+ since that was the only one available.
    I've ordered a space grey, purely because I hate the white front.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

I've ordered a space grey, purely because I hate the white front.

You know, there is a way to negate this. There is a screen protector on sale that fully covers the front of the iPhone (curves and all), available in white or black. It's even made of the same Corning glass material, last I checked.