iTunes Match uploads raised to promised 100K song limit, accounts suggest

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
The upload limit for iTunes Match may have finally been raised to 100,000 songs, as Apple originally promised in June, some users are beginning to report.

Accounts of the change first emerged on Reddit earlier on Monday. Apple has not yet updated its official documentation, which could mean that the new limit is rolling out gradually or prematurely.

Until now the upload limit was 25,000 songs. While enough for many iTunes users, people with larger collections were previously forced to avoid Match or find workarounds, like using multiple libraries.

In late June Apple's SVP for Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, said on Twitter that that the company was "working to get to 100k for iOS 9." When iOS 9 shipped on Sept. 16 however, people discovered that the 25,000-song cap was still in place.

iTunes Match exists in a unique space in Apple's online services, since some of the same functions have been duplicated in Apple Music, including uploads for remote play. With Apple Music, though, matched tracks can only be played while a subscription is active, and will disappear from secondary devices afterward.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Falling into the category of having too many songs for iTunes Match, I am pleased that it looks like that limit has been stretched to 100,000 songs. However, the website is still saying the limit it 25,000. I certainly hope this story is true.

Now comes the question, iTunes Match or Apple Music if both expand the limit to 100k?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I'd be happy to have my iTunes Match song limit lowered to 1,000 songs if it would just work more than one out of every two or three times I try to use it.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    thismarty wrote: »
    I'd be happy to have my iTunes Match song limit lowered to 1,000 songs if it would just work more than one out of every two or three times I try to use it.

Really? I suppose your library might be super messy or you tried using Apple Music or you have tracks which aren't what you think they are.

Shrug
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I must be one of the lucky (or crazy) ones. My iTunes Match has worked fine and dandy since joining 2 months ago. (Now watch, I bet I just jinxed myself!)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus423 View Post

I must be one of the lucky (or crazy) ones. My iTunes Match has worked fine and dandy since joining 2 months ago. (Now watch, I bet I just jinxed myself!)

Mine has worked great too.  It so nice streaming the music directly from my AppleTV instead of having to load my local library.  Well worth $27 for free back up, some track quality upgrades, and the ability to stream my music wherever.

• Reply 6 of 18
    I know this is slightly off-topic but I had to turn off iCloud Music Library because it didn't properly match too many of my songs. It's absolutely necessary that some of my songs are an exact match, not a this-is-pretty-close.

Does anyone know if there is a way to force an upload for an improperly matched song?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I know this is slightly off-topic but I had to turn off iCloud Music Library because it didn't properly match too many of my songs. It's absolutely necessary that some of my songs are an exact match, not a this-is-pretty-close.

Does anyone know if there is a way to force an upload for an improperly matched song?

This times 10^9
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Not True! The comments on Reddit say it has not been raised. In fact, I just tried again with my collection of 39k songs and I continue to get the same 4001 error. BTW, this error explains absolutely nothing! How hard would it be for developers to have at least an error that says "Your collection is larger than the 25k limit"? How hard would it be for Apple to allow UP TO 25k songs for people with more?

For me, this Apple Music is a flop. This is what happens when you put a designer in charge of functionality!

I have updated to the new itunes and iOS9. I'm also running the latest beta of El Capitan.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    All songs (local MP3 files) I have been adding to iTunes 12.3 are labeled as Apple Music songs instead of iTunes Match songs. So when I don't renew Apple Music at the end of the month, I will no longer have access to these songs as they get replaced with DRM-versions.

And Apple claims this works as advertised! While I was under the impression this bug was fixed in version 12.2.1
  • Reply 10 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    thismarty wrote: »

Never having had any issues with iTunes Match I have to suspect either issues with your wifi or simply bandwidth issues.

In fact the genius of iTunes match is how it works. The whole 'matching' with what is already 'up there' and very little uploading is brilliant. My 60+ GB library only takes a few minutes to be 'matched' and I have wiped and re started it several times so I know this for a fact.

Sadly, this is something Apple hasn't duplicated with Photos. With Photos Apple seem to have gone the opposite direction. Obviously the initial images need to be uploaded but when one 'shares' an album with a family member they have to be physically copied it seems, even the 1000 per hour limit gets imposed on this sharing process. WTF ...?? Why not use symbolic links and share in a nano seconds? They are already 'up there' Hello ... Apple anyone in there?

That said I read on AI Apple are rethinking the entire cloud so hopefully this will all get sorted soon. As a user of dot Mac, then dot Me and now iCloud, maybe forth time will be the charm for handling images?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    hagar wrote: »
    All songs (local MP3 files) I have been adding to iTunes 12.3 are labeled as Apple Music songs instead of iTunes Match songs. So when I don't renew Apple Music at the end of the month, I will no longer have access to these songs as they get replaced with DRM-versions.

And Apple claims this works as advertised! While I was under the impression this bug was fixed in version 12.2.1

That's interesting, so all the Napster songs so many folks still have get screwed with, is that what this does? Have you tried converting the MP3 to other formats prior to putting into iTunes (i.e. convert externally)?
  • Reply 12 of 18

Fun project to test ... I know all of my old LP's that I recorded and converted from analog to digital were uploaded and treated the same way as my Logic Pro original material, i.e. not matched. I was fascinated when this happened as they were pristine quality and now digital but no match ever happens.

So I suspect if you go that route , i.e. record them back in as if they were analog it should prevent matching. There is probably a quick way to do that with file conversion but I have a suspicion it might require going via analog to work.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'm still getting the 4001 error as well.
  • Reply 14 of 18

Can you tell me how you were able to turn off iCloud music library?

• Reply 15 of 18
    From the Reddit link (please note the edit):

"I've just managed to upload a whole bunch of songs that were previously over the limit, so it looks like the limit increase (to 100,000 songs) Eddie Cue promised earlier this year may have taken place. Can anyone else confirm?

Edit: Doesn't look like it's increased, I'm receiving the limit error again with new music. I'm not sure what happened to let me upload the excess music. If I were a certain Apple news site, I'd hold off on reporting this until there's more than one report of it happening."
  • Reply 16 of 18

please be advised that as of today 10.21.15....itunes match HAS NOT increased to 100k limit...apple phone reps comfirm this and have no idea when the increase will occur..

• Reply 17 of 18
    Information on the iTunes Match is still 25,000 and did not appear to increase to the 100,000

I cannot join as my library is too large. My dilemma is I have a number of protected AAC files purchased years ago from the lovely people at Apple via ITunes. These specific DRM ( digital rights management) cannot be converted.

Most fundamentally they are not recognised by my Sonos wireless music system. This is illustrated by gaps in my allegedly well crafted playlists.

I know my iTuny world has got messy ... With duplicate songs etc and I know I may have to partition a library to get access to the iTunes Match ....

So Q 1 - will the ITunes Match song limit increase ? And if so when ?

Q 2 - what else if anything can I do ?

Thanks in advance ! New to the group ! Do judge , but kindly !