Former GM exec pans rumored 'Apple Car' sight unseen, calls it 'a gigantic money pit'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

I don't actually disagree with his point that, if they're going to do it, Apple should partner with experts in drive train and body construction and make their 'value-add' batteries and computation. Not everything about existing automotive technology is wrong. (Unless you consider the whole idea of 'one+-car-per-human' in itself a really stupid idea, which is a valid point.)

• Reply 42 of 156
    I think he overestimates the R&D and resources needed to make one or two cars. Apple clearly isn't bucking to be the next GM, which is a bloated bureaucracy with too many products that don't differentiate themselves from one another very clearly. No doubt, Apple will have to partner with somebody who knows the supply-chain. And hopefully they don't make it über expensive. Apple needs to be very humble about getting into that market. I remember Steve Jobs saying the same thing about their entry into the enterprise server market, i.e. the Xserve. Apparently, they weren't humble enough. For the reader who was unaware of any product failures at Apple from 1998 onward, I would cite the Xserve as one of a handful that never took off. Apple IS fallible. I suppose they are comfortable with pushing into the auto business because they can afford to fail. This isn't a bet-the-company initiative like the iPhone was. Yet. :-)
  • Reply 43 of 156
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Nothing is guaranteed for success. Make a good product and a compelling reason for people to buy it. 

Case in point, the iPhone and iPod.

Apple Watch,...the jury is still out.

But many organizations like GM are stuck in the past. Slow footed and not nimble.

• Reply 44 of 156
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

This would mean being able to build a car for no more than $25k...

$25k is the low price end of the spectrum, or at least bottom third.

What in Apple's history of top tier pricing makes you think that this is a price arena they'd be at all find interest in?

• Reply 45 of 156
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joe28753 View Post

As Volkswagen drops 25% on news of their diesel cheating scandal. 

But at least I now know my diesel VW isn't being gimped by emissions controls.

• Reply 46 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

You could (and I would) argue Apple Music is a money pit. Streaming is not a profitable business.

If you have any data, do share. Otherwise, move along....

• Reply 47 of 156
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Same was said about music players, cellphones, and tablets.

This guy doesn't know Apple very well.?

Have you consider that Apple has a list of failed products too?  Because it's from Apple doesn't means it will automatically succeed. 

• Reply 48 of 156

Surely he can be trusted to give objective advice about the chances of a competitor's success. Really people?

• Reply 49 of 156
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Or maybe it's the fact Tesla charges $70,000+ for their cars?

But Apple also goes for the high end of markets they enter (to begin with anyway), so if Tesla is making money in that segment, it should at least be possible for Apple to. 

• Reply 50 of 156
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Does he somehow think it's going to be a passing fad and everybody reverts back to fossil fuels exclusively?

Yes, exactly.

• Reply 51 of 156
    This guy has a point. Yes, technology plays a part in automobiles but not as big a part as the other mechanics. In fact, the best cars in the world (Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, MB, BMW. etc) focus on advancements in mechanical technology. Apple would be smart to partner with an automobile company and supply the technology and leave the other stuff to the experts.
  • Reply 52 of 156

This is the ultimate revenge of Carplay.  Carplay is much better then what is built into most new cars.  Apple offered it but car makers didn't want to lose the car screen to Apple.  Instead they gave the customer junk.  Apple is going to have the best car OS out there and people DO care about the interaction with their car.  

The Apple car will be electric with a a very high power density, a better user interface then anyone and a price tag in the middle $40,000 range.  Besides Tesla there will be no competition.  

• Reply 53 of 156

Hey, Bob, I'm loving my GM electric car, a Spark EV.

Great little hot rod with 400 pounds of torque. Yeah, it's a compliance car but unlike Tesla, GM has done NOTHING to invest in infrastructure. Tesla has invested millions in creating their own showrooms and charging stations so it's no wonder they're not showing a profit. Not that hard to understand, Bob.

Why didn't I order the DCFC with my Spark lease? Because I was correct that GM wouldn't build any DC charging stations and I saved myself $750. American manufacturers only do things when they are threatened with litigation. Thankfully, we have Elon Musk to lead the way.

I you don't like electric cars, Bob, what's up with you building electric Via trucks?

And, Bob, are you still denying climate change?

• Reply 54 of 156

An incredibly good (and long) read on Energy, Cars, and Tesla.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

It's worth anyone's time.

• Reply 55 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

This guy has a point. Yes, technology plays a part in automobiles but not as big a part as the other mechanics. In fact, the best cars in the world (Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, MB, BMW. etc) focus on advancements in mechanical technology. Apple would be smart to partner with an automobile company and supply the technology and leave the other stuff to the experts.

Not sure how much mechanics they would have to work out. An electric vehicle has very few parts.

• Reply 57 of 156
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Have you consider that Apple has a list of failed products too?  Because it's from Apple doesn't means it will automatically succeed. 

Like what? The G4 cube? Please. Get real.

Where Apple's failures number at 0 is with product categories. They don't get into new industries unless they know they can succeed, and make a huge impact. That, they've successfully done 100% of the time.

If Apple is looking at getting into cars...the world ought to pay very close attention.

• Reply 58 of 156

I appreciate that the US is one of the most car-dependent countries in the world, but certainly in European urban areas, car ownership and use is declining and the trend is to discourage car use through parking restrictions, re-allocation of road space to other modes of transport and congestion charges.

I have to laugh at advertising for cars showing hip young things zipping through empty city streets in the latest model while the reality of city driving is being stuck in a traffic jam, overtaken by people on bikes.

Europe went in for diesel in a much bigger way that the US so NOx pollution caused by lying manufacturers like VW can be off the scale in some places so electric cars are better as they shift the pollution to outside the city.  However an Apple car will be stuck in traffic just like any other car although I am sure it will have a much better entertainment system so the occupants can amuse themselves when they are crawling along at 12mph stuck behind a bus.

• Reply 59 of 156
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    You could (and I would) argue Apple Music is a money pit. Streaming is not a profitable business.

Perhaps, but it does keep people buying Apple products.
  • Reply 60 of 156

The video screenshot accurately depicts the face of a man who has shit his pants.