Rounding up some of the best protective cases for Apple's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
In anticipation of this week's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus debut, which is shaping up to be Apple's biggest launch ever, AppleInsider has compiled a round up of cases from Apple and our retail sponsors that are built to protect, enhance and show off your new handset.

Apple

As with every iPhone launch, Apple is again providing a new lineup of branded leather and silicone products, but with a color palette slightly tweaked from last year. Both models feature an open-front design with raised nubs for volume and power buttons, mute switch access, camera and flash access and a microfiber lining.

Leather versions are made from European tanned leather and come in five different colors: black, brown, saddle brown, rose gray and midnight blue. Seen above, the choices are a few shades removed from leather models offered with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Apple's silicone cases are slimmer than their leather counterparts and are available in a much wider selection of colors. In all the company makes 11 different variations, including a (PRODUCT)RED iteration. As seen below, colors on offer include white, charcoal gray, stone, antique white, blue, turquoise, midnight blue, lavender, pink and orange.

Apple went on record as saying iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cases from last year are compatible with this year's slightly larger iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, though upgraders who want a perfect fit will need to buy the 2015 model.

Cost: Leather iPhone 6s and 6s Plus cases sell for a respective $45 and $49, while the silicone versions are priced at $35 and $39.
Availability: Most colors are in stock now through Apple's website for shipment prior to the handset's launch.

OtterBox

OtterBox, one of the biggest names in third-party iPhone protection, is marketing six iPhone 6 product lines as suitable for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The popular Defender and Commuter series both offer full drop, dust and screen protection, while the light weight Symmetry and leather-clad Strada ranges trade a sealed design for style.

Cost: Price varies depending on configuration. $29.95 - $59.95 for the Defender, $39.90 for the Commuter, $44.90 for the Commuter Wallet, $39.95 - $44.95 for the Symmetry, $6.95 - $46.90 for the MySymmetry, and $49.95 for the Strada.
Availability: Save for a few Defender and Symmetry colors, all products are in stock.
Exclusive Coupon: Otterbox is also offering AI readers 10% off and Free Shipping on all iPhone cases with coupon code INSIDER10

Speck

With a wide selection of colors and a reasonable price point, Speck's CandyShell lineup is perfect for users who want to stand apart from the crowd. A soft cushioned inner layer is covered in a hard outer shell to protect iPhone, while a scratch-resistant coating keeps the eye-catching artwork safe. The sleeve is further enhanced with a rubberized rim for screen protection, and rubberized button pushers.

Cost: Prices for iPhone 6s designs range from $25.99 to $39.99, while the larger 6s Plus versions goes for between $32.99 and $36.99.
Availability: Amazon has a variety of patterns available for both iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

FUZ Designs

A newcomer to the third-party accessory game, FUZ Designs sports a fun range of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus products compatible with Apple's latest "s" series handsets. The firm's furry Felt Case integrates a thermoplastic urethane inner layer with an industrial grade outer skin to create a thin, protective and tactile case. A second product, simply called the Soft Case, features a protective inner layer wrapped with blue, black or red polyurethane.

Cost: Both the Felt Case and Soft Case for iPhone 6s are priced at $29.99, while the larger iPhone 6s Plus version comes in at $34.99.
Availability: Amazon is showing full availability for and Soft Case models.

Urban Armor Gear

Urban Armor Gear (UAG) is another impact resistant case marker that aims to provide the best possible protection in the smallest possible profile. Its cases feature a feather-light composite construction, armor shell, and impact resistant soft core. UAG says its iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus cases, along with all its others, have been certified MIL-STD810G - 546.6 compliant in meeting military drop-test standards. The cases also include an HD Screen protector that guards against scratches and are available in 6 colors (Aero, Maverick, Navigator, Outland, Scout, Valkyrie) now, while Scout Folio and Rouge Folio editions will be available shortly.

Cost: UGA's iPhone 6/6s cases retail for $39.95.
Availability: Dozens of UGA iPhone 6 & 6s cases are available on Amazon and UGA.

Incipio

Incipio is one of the largest and most popular makers of cases for Apple's various product lines, and the company's existing iPhone 6 series cases rank high in customer satisfaction on Amazon. The new 4.7-inch iPhone 6s can be safely ensconced inside Incipio's existing iPhone 6 Caroline Folio, Stowaway, DualPro, Feather, Rival, Highland, Phenom, NGP Edge, Octane, Response, and Watson cases.

The Stowaway features a credit card case and stand built in to its polycarbonate and polymer shell; the DualPro is a polycarbonate case with an impact-absorbing TPE core; the Feather is an ultra-thin polycarbonate case; the Rival is a co-molded transparent textured case; the Highland is a brushed aluminum-style folio; the Phenon is a lightweight, drop-resistant case; the NGP is a flexible polymer case; the Edge is a hard-shell slider case; and the Watson is a leather wallet folio that can hold up to three credit cards and doubles as a stand.

Meanwhile, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus will fit in the existing iPhone 6 Plus jumbo versions of the DualPro, Feather, NGP, Stowaway, Highland, and Rival. Each is offered in a variety of colors, ranging from standbys like black and white to more bold choices including neon pink.

Cost: Prices range from $20-$35, but many cases are available for as little as $12 on Amazon.
Availability: All of the cases are available from Amazon and Incipio.com. Some of its new DUALPRO DETAIL iPhone 6s cases are also in stock at Amazon or available for pre-order.

Casetify (Customize Your Case with Instagram Photos)

Buyers who prefer a little more customization will find it at Casetify, a company that lets you print Instagram photos onto 2.5-millimeter thin snap-style iPhone cases. If your Instagram account isn't up to snuff, Casetify also allows you to choose from a variety of pre-made designs.

Cost: $40.00 for both the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
Availability: Pre-orders are available now at casetify.com, with shipments starting in late September.

Radius v2

Introduced as a stripped down bumper with snap-on convenience, the Radius v2 protects the corners and rear of your iPhone, the areas most susceptible to damage when dropped. Thanks to its minimalist design, Radius v2 is extremely lightweight, keeping iPhone pocketable. Color choices include polished aluminum, slate, red accents and gold, while a special titanium version is also available.

Cost: Prices range from $79.99 to $249.99 depending on color and material.
Availability: The Radius v2 is available now from BiteMyApple.co. AppleInsider readers can get an extra 10% off by entering in promo code Ai10 upon checkout.

Tech Armor

For iPhone owners who prefer using a "naked" handset, Tech Armor offers a range of high quality screen protectors that fit both iPhone 6 and 6s screens. The company markets a standard High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector and an HD Clear Ballistic Glass Screen Protector for scratch and impact protection, both of which come in a variety of finishes and materials. For example, Tech Armor offers an edge-to-edge glass version that fits over an entire iPhone display for ultimate coverage.

Cost: Regular High Definition versions for iPhone 6s start at $6.95 and move up to $14.95 for edge to edge ballistic models. Interestingly, the iPhone 6s Plus iteration starts at $5.95 and tops out at $14.95.
Availability: Amazon currently has all iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus variations in stock.

Silk Innovation

]

Silk Innovation made its debut ahead of last years iPhone 6 launch with 3 cases that will also fit the iPhone 6s: The ClearView Slim case features a now-popular design comprised of a clear polycarbonate back combined with a rubber side bumper; the Stealth Armor Tough case combines a polycarbonate shell with a rubber core, interchangeable back plates, and a screen protector; and the Vault Slim Wallet is a soft-touch full-coverage case that can hold three credit cards.

Cost: $11.99 for the ClearView Slim, $17.99 for the Stealth Armor Tough, and $14.99 for the Vault Slim Wallet.
Availability: All three cases are available for purchase now from Amazon.

Caseology

Caseology is another prominent iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case maker that offers an assortment of more contemporary and stylish cases made out of leather, carbon fiber, and textured materials. Among them are the Envoy, Skyfall, Wavelength, Vault, and Glacier series.

Pricing & Availability: Pricing on Caseology's iPhone 6s cases range from $30-$50 but are available on Amazon for as little as $13.00. The same designs are also available for the iPhone 6s Plus at the same price points.

JETech iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus cases

JETech is another US-based case maker that sells a variety of cases for the iPhone 6/6s and iPhone 6/6s Plus, including its clear Shock-Absorption Bumper and Anti-Scratch cases, which start for as little as $8.00 on Amazon. It also sells leather iPhone Wallet Cases with a built-in credit card slots & holder that also duals as a kickstand so you can prop up your iPhone to watch video.

Pricing: Standard retail pricing for JETech iPhone cases span from $20 to $40 but can be had for a fraction of those prices on stores like Amazon.
Availability: Most of JETech's standard iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus cases are in stock at significant discount over at Amazon. The the PU Leather Wallet Cases with Flip Cover are available for pre-order and will ship in early October.

Even More Options

Of course, there are thousands of other iPhone 6s case options making their way to market. Several Apple Authorized Resellers have created pages dedicated to highlighting the latest arrivals including:

eBay Deals - $28-$60% off brands like Spigen, VERUS & Caseology
MacMall - Save between $5 - $25 on dozens iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Cases.
Amazon - Hundreds of iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus cases available overnight with Amazon Prime.
B&H Photo - Hundreds of New Release iPhone 6/6s and iPhone 6/6s Plus cases for order and pre-order.
Best Buy - Dozens of new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus cases in stock.
Wal-Mart - Dozens of low-cost and affordable iPhone 6/6s and iPhone 6/6s Plus cases starting at just $2.00.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    For those who don't like like cases, check out the Veil by Caudabe. This is what I've had on my 6 Plus and ordered another for the 6s. Its the thinnest thing you'll find and almost feels like there is no case on it. I can deal with its size in exchange for scratch proctection and the piece of mind to set it down on any surface. It keeps a close feel to naked aluminum, but with just a tad more anti-slip, so it doesn't constantly fall out of your pocket.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    No recommendations for water resistant cases? My son just got a Lifeproof, and it's a great case.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Am I the only one who thinks the cases combining your wallet and phone are a bad idea? If I lose my cards, or they're stolen, I want the phone to be able to call and cancel them. If I lose the phone or its stolen, I want my cards to be able to get a quick replacement. Not having both seems like a recipe for disaster.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    "Apple went on record as saying iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cases from last year are compatible with this year's slightly larger iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, though upgraders who want a perfect fit will need to buy the 2015 model."

I dont get the "2015 model" part. Is Apple saying that the 2015 model (they mean case with that right?) differs slightly from the 6 case, and therefore the 6s apple case will offer the best fit?

Can somebody help me out on this? Maybe i'm just confused.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by balken07 View Post

"Apple went on record as saying iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cases from last year are compatible with this year's slightly larger iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, though upgraders who want a perfect fit will need to buy the 2015 model."

I dont get the "2015 model" part. Is Apple saying that the 2015 model (they mean case with that right?) differs slightly from the 6 case, and therefore the 6s apple case will offer the best fit?

Can somebody help me out on this? Maybe i'm just confused.

Yep.

The old cases will fit the "S" models.  The new cases will fit the "s" models better (and, one assumes the "non-S" models worse)

• Reply 6 of 16
    I've been a Morphie Juice Air fan since its inception and would like to know if their iPhone 6 model will fit the 6s? Seems like the "s" is just larger enough that all of the case manufacturers are coming out with new cases.
  • Reply 7 of 16

John Smith woke up at 2:55 AM EST last week and proceeded to order a brand new Rose Gold iPhone 6S+ which they have been lusting after for a long time now.

On Sept 25, John Smith gets their new iPhone delivered by UPS, and 10 minutes later John Smith proceeds to put a case on the iPhone, covering  and obscuring the entire back of the phone, and John Smith no longer has a Rose Gold iPhone anymore, at least not one that's visible to anybody.

What's the point?

• Reply 8 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Am I the only one who thinks the cases combining your wallet and phone are a bad idea? If I lose my cards, or they're stolen, I want the phone to be able to call and cancel them. If I lose the phone or its stolen, I want my cards to be able to get a quick replacement. Not having both seems like a recipe for disaster.

I've had too many instances of my hotel room keys becoming erased when i put it in the same pocket as my cell phone. Don't know if I'd put my credit cards there on a regular basis. That said space for a credit/debit card and a driver's license might come in handy sometimes.

• Reply 9 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Putting everything in the case with the phone is indeed a bad idea, although due to the weight difference, I think I'm more likely to lose my wallet than the phone.   I keep one credit card, a transit card and a $20 bill in the case with the phone, everything else, including another transit card, with the wallet.  I've done this ever since I lost my wallet bike riding earlier this year.   I only had some change on me and it took a long time to find a retailer where I could use Apple Pay to get some cash.   For a while there, I thought I was walking home from Manhattan to Queens.   I haven't had to do that since 9/11.   

But the problem with that scenario is that I couldn't call the credit card companies to cancel the cards until I managed to get the cash.   In the end, everything worked out - no one tried to use my credit cards before I cancelled them and I was able to get another debit card the next morning.    Even the DMV was easy (I was shocked!) - I just went there and used a machine to order replacements and get a temporary drivers license and registration on the spot.  I was even helped by a young woman who was a speed typist and flew past all the screens on the machine.  Once I got to the machine, I was out of there in three minutes.    Got the real replacements in the mail about a week later. 

If we ever get to the point where Apple Pay is ubiquitous and the police would accept an electronic version of a driver's license and registration, then maybe I would once again carry everything with the phone and not carry a wallet at all.   That day isn't here yet.   Until ATMs accept  Apple Pay, I'd probably always have to carry at least a debit card.   

• Reply 10 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

John Smith woke up at 2:55 AM EST last week and proceeded to order a brand new Rose Gold iPhone 6S+ which they have been lusting after for a long time now.

On Sept 25, John Smith gets their new iPhone delivered by UPS, and 10 minutes later John Smith proceeds to put a case on the iPhone, covering  and obscuring the entire back of the phone, and John Smith no longer has a Rose Gold iPhone anymore, at least not one that's visible to anybody.

What's the point?

I totally agree with you on that.  It's also why I think that Apple's obsession with thinness is misplaced.   Since I'm putting it in a case anyway, I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone that has a longer battery life.    Or, Apple should design a phone that can stand up to reasonable falls and so doesn't need a case.  What's the point of putting all that effort into the body design when the only place it shows up is in a TV commercial.    (And those of you who are going to post that I can buy a case that also has a battery, don't bother.)

It's funny because I often see people using their phone without a case and I think, "that phone looks really nice!" and then I realize I have the same model.   But I never really see what it looks like because it's in the case.    

• Reply 11 of 16
    zoetmb wrote: »

I totally agree with you on that.  It's also why I think that Apple's obsession with thinness is misplaced.   Since I'm putting it in a case anyway, I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone that has a longer battery life.    Or, Apple should design a phone that can stand up to reasonable falls and so doesn't need a case.  What's the point of putting all that effort into the body design when the only place it shows up is in a TV commercial.    (And those of you who are going to post that I can buy a case that also has a battery, don't bother.)

It's funny because I often see people using their phone without a case and I think, "that phone looks really nice!" and then I realize I have the same model.   But I never really see what it looks like because it's in the case.    

which is why I went a Spigen case, 0.4mm, clear, soft yet rigid TPU with hardened bumper. Neo Hybrid EX mint

https://www.spigen.com/collections/iphone-6s/products/iphone-6s-case-neo-hybrid-ex?variant=4050151553

I have always thought Apple should design the phone so it didn't need a case. At times I have felt they are a bit irresponsible.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

which is why I went a Spigen case, 0.4mm, clear, soft yet rigid TPU with hardened bumper. Neo Hybrid EX mint

https://www.spigen.com/collections/iphone-6s/products/iphone-6s-case-neo-hybrid-ex?variant=4050151553

I have always thought Apple should design the phone so it didn't need a case. At times I have felt they are a bit irresponsible.

True.  I've heard of this adamantium.  Maybe they should explore using that.

• Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

True.  I've heard of this adamantium.  Maybe they should explore using that.

Are there any iPhone cases made from this adamantium that you mention? No?

Any of the existing "non adamantium" cases manage to significantly reduce impact damage or reduce chance for screen damage? Yes

Are any of them thin? Yes they are, down to 0.4mm and lo and behold they are easier to hold. less slippery etc. The very thick cases such as Otterboxes are designed for more than just impact protection.

No doubt if Apple put some effort into it they could make a device 0.2mm thicker that can be dropped onto hard or rough surfaces, fall flat on its face, corner and do so at some speed while not sustaining any meaningful damage. Said device would no doubt be easier to hold.

In fact, since such a product would likely be an integrated coating, similar to a "meta-material" the iPhone could still be metal and make use of both materials.

Going the opposite way completely, the casing could be wood. Also highly recyclable, rigid and with even better signal penetration to metal. Wood can also absorb energy quite well and no doubt with some clever engineering could even be "an alloy" of sorts or a laminate that allows for multiple properties - perhaps even as a heat sink.

Using wood, Apple could even set about growing their own materials and talk up the massive reduction due to no mining, reduced production chemicals blah blah blah.

There are many options beside resorting to childlike comic book fantasies

• Reply 14 of 16
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

How about, don't lose your shit in the first place?

• Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

How about, don't lose your shit in the first place?

This is my healthcare plan too.  I'm just not going to get sick.