Early reviews of iPhone 6s & 6s Plus praise cameras & 3D Touch, fret over battery life & storage

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

they dont. they was resolved w/ iOS 9. smaller install, and auto-deletes-reinstalls apps in the event that it needs to.

what else ya got?

i will point you to post #44

this is the heart of the issue.

• Reply 62 of 113
    As someone that sells these on a daily basis I double check your current phone and tell yea what is good. But people are cheap and know exactly what they are doing. The ones that get 16 again and are close to being full almost always talk them selves out of the 64 to save 100 or a few bucks a months. If Apple had started the base at 32 then lots of folks wouldn't go to 64. Strictly business.
  • Reply 63 of 113
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    16 GB is fine for entry level and business use.

Battery life will always be an issue because people use the phone every other minute. Use = battery drain.
  • Reply 64 of 113
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I can begrudgingly see it from Apple's point of view here. That $100 extra for 64GB instead of 16GB is quite probably a major part of the company's legendary profit margins on its iPhone business. Even though for me and a couple of others here - Rogifan and sandor in particular. Its more the principal of the thing than just the 'not enough for our day and age' capacity limitation of 16GB. It effects in a negative way the perception of the company...that its a blatant money grab on the part of the worlds already largest and richest corporation. Even if it is just good business practice (profits) on Apple's part.That might I suggest a solution of sorts...with I presume the very low cost of Flash nowadays that in the near future instead of Apple offering 16-64GB upgrade route that they go for a 32-128GB instead. That way no more inadequate stingy looking 16GB as the base on a 600+ dollar smartphone, yet still a tempting upgrade option for customers to spend that extra 100 bucks on?

• Reply 65 of 113
    I dont understand why people whine about the 16gb entry level. You can easily store photo's and videos online if you want, which for most people takes up the most storage. I can handle myself with 16gb with a lot of things in the cloud. And if u have such a big problem with it, just buy 64gb
  • Reply 66 of 113
    1983 wrote: »
    I can begrudgingly see it from Apple's point of view here. That $100 extra for 64GB instead of 16GB is quite probably a major part of the company's legendary profit margins on its iPhone business. Even though for me and a couple of others here - Rogifan and sandor in particular. Its more the principal of the thing than just the 'not enough for our day and age' capacity limitation of 16GB. It effects in a negative way the perception of the company...that its a blatant money grab on the part of the worlds already largest and richest corporation. Even if it is just good business practice (profits) on Apple's part.That might I suggest a solution of sorts...with I presume the very low cost of Flash nowadays that in the near future instead of Apple offering 16-64GB upgrade route that they go for a 32-128GB instead. That way no more inadequate stingy looking 16GB as the base on a 600+ dollar smartphone, yet still a tempting upgrade option for users to spend that extra 100 bucks on?

So why not just leave it at 16, 32, 64GB if profit margins are so important? Before the 64GB model was $200 more than the 16GB, now it's only $100. They lost $100 for every user that stayed with 64GB.
  • Reply 67 of 113

So far, I'm loving my 6s Plus. 3D Touch is awesome. I think I will actually use the Live Photo feature a lot. The new camera is nice, but I don't think people will see a huge difference in quality. The iPhone 6 camera already was a great phone camera. I do think the new 6s Plus takes better low light photos based on the test shots I've done. I don't get the complaints about battery life. I use my phone a lot throughout the day and still don't need to put it on the charger. I can't even recall the last time I even had an issue with battery life on the previous iPhone's I've had. 

• Reply 68 of 113
    This really is like selling a Porche with a "starter" 1 gallon tank. It is disingenuous to offer such an option. It's enough to get the idea of what is possible but not enough that you can get very far. I agree not everyone needs a ton of storage but in that case do they really need an iPhone. But the 6S is not a "starter" phone and should have the capacity to store a good selection of apps, several videos and hundreds of photos. I don't think you get that with a 16 gig version.
  • Reply 69 of 113
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

One question and one comment.

About Live Photos, does the video look better with 6S Plus than 6S if the target is moving?

It is better if the video starts three seconds before the photo is taken than the photo is mid point between the video.  

In most real situations, you press the button when you see an interesting motion or sound.  You can not predict the motion and sound 1.5 seconds after is interesting.  

I think Apple engineers played a gimmick here.  The phone may need to use more memory in the former case. 

• Reply 70 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

So far, I'm loving my 6s Plus. 3D Touch is awesome. I think I will actually use the Live Photo feature a lot. The new camera is nice, but I don't think people will see a huge difference in quality. The iPhone 6 camera already was a great phone camera. I do think the new 6s Plus takes better low light photos based on the test shots I've done. I don't get the complaints about battery life. I use my phone a lot throughout the day and still don't need to put it on the charger. I can't even recall the last time I even had an issue with battery life on the previous iPhone's I've had. 

Hi Boltsfan17, you already got your iPhone 6s? If so can you run Geekbench and 3DMark Unlimited on them so we can see what you get?

• Reply 71 of 113

These numbers are incredible! Can't wait for mine to arrive on Friday.

• Reply 72 of 113

Apple should just have two sizes 64GB and 128GB.

Rename the 16 GB iPhoneLite or iPhone 6D.

• Reply 73 of 113

The first iPhone minimum storage was 4GB, but less than 3 months after release that option was dropped and 8GB became the minimum. Only 2 years later, the 3GS was introduced with a minimum of 16GB*. That was 6 years ago.

I think much of the frustration with the entry-level storage stagnation is that the relative size of files that consume that storage space haven't.The default iTunes Store music data rate doubled from 128k to 256k (in 2009); that 3MP camera is now a whopping 12MP; apps have seen untold growth in complexity and quality; the OS itself has grown in size. Back then, 16GB was enough for a lot more typical usage patterns than it is now; as a percentage of the total storage, every photo or song or app consumed less than they do now. Entry model simply worked for more people than it does now, even controlling for usage habits.

*Yes I realize a bare-bones 3GS 8GB model came out a year later when the 4 was released, but this conversation is about entry-level of new model at time of new model's release.)

• Reply 74 of 113
    sandor wrote: »

i will point you to post #44
    this is the heart of the issue.

the post I was responding to was complaining about file size and installs. The post you're referring to is about the principle of having an entry level model. non sequitur.

your complaint about install size has been defeated.
  • Reply 74 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    The storage is an absolute joke at this point. And it's not 16GB, it's 12 if you're lucky. Somehow Apple can sell a TV unit for $149 with 32GB but can't sell an iPhone with that much for $649.
    the point is that except people in tech forums, avarage joe only uses 10 apps besides stock apps, so 16GB is more than enough. As a user, I want 32GB instead of 16GB, but as a stock holder, I want where it is now.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So why not just leave it at 16, 32, 64GB if profit margins are so important? Before the 64GB model was $200 more than the 16GB, now it's only $100. They lost $100 for every user that stayed with 64GB.

why not work your way onto the board, or upper management, and present your well researched ideas on why that should be the case? because I know for certain they've researched and discussed why it should be this way.

you being ignorant to why that is means little.
  • Reply 77 of 113
    This really is like selling a Porche with a "starter" 1 gallon tank. It is disingenuous to offer such an option. It's enough to get the idea of what is possible but not enough that you can get very far. I agree not everyone needs a ton of storage but in that case do they really need an iPhone. But the 6S is not a "starter" phone and should have the capacity to store a good selection of apps, several videos and hundreds of photos. I don't think you get that with a 16 gig version.

nope. a one gallon tank isn't practical, for anyone. a 16gb phone is practical for millions and millions of users.

again - the whiners aren't entry level users, so the outrage is silly.
  • Reply 78 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Apple should just have two sizes 64GB and 128GB.
    Rename the 16 GB iPhoneLite or iPhone 6D.
    that's confusing shit. Please.
  • Reply 79 of 113
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The storage is an absolute joke at this point. And it's not 16GB, it's 12 if you're lucky. Somehow Apple can sell a TV unit for $149 with 32GB but can't sell an iPhone with that much for $649.

When we all had this same discussion a year ago, someone, I've forgotten who, tried to point out that, for enterprise,

companies providing phones to employees, don't want them to be able to harbor gobs of personal content...

in addition to the savings aspect, of course.

So, that, and our clueless Aunts who make even less effective use of these little miracles than I do,

are a perfect target market for the entry level model.

For informed personal use, I've never understand not overbuying any hardware you intend to own longer than 6 months,

because the chances of accurately anticipating actual developing capabilities of these things is a fool's errand.

• Reply 80 of 113
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    One question and one comment.
    About Live Photos, does the video look better with 6S Plus than 6S if the target is moving?

It is better if the video starts three seconds before the photo is taken than the photo is mid point between the video.  

In most real situations, you press the button when you see an interesting motion or sound.  You can not predict the motion and sound 1.5 seconds after is interesting.  

I think Apple engineers played a gimmick here.  The phone may need to use more memory in the former case. 

From my understanding , it's not video but a series of images and it's always processing what it sees for the display. So it's not using any more memory before rather than after.