T-Mobile trade-in plan offers iPhone 6s from $5 per month

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Three days ahead of Apple's big iPhone launch, T-Mobile CEO John Legere announced a promotional payment plan that presents upgrade customers with an opportunity to own a new iPhone 6s for as little as $5 per month.

An extension of T-Mobile's "Jump on Demand" initiative, the new incentive lets customers trade in their old iPhone for a new iPhone 6s lease priced at $5, $10 or $15 a month. Owners of last year's iPhone 6 only have to pay $5 per month, while those trading in an iPhone 5s need to shell out $10 per month. Customers trading in any other device rate the $15 per month tier.

Legere, who revealed the incentive package on Twitter, noted that today's promotion can be applied to existing iPhone 6s preorders with a trade-in. Specific plan details remain unclear, however, as T-Mobile has yet to make an official announcement. More information will be available on Wednesday, Legere said.

T-Mobile's iPhone 6s-specific installment plan appears to be one of the more competitive offerings on the market, though the decision to discount Apple's handset is not surprising for a carrier aggressively wooing new subscribers. Apple, too, is offering an iPhone Upgrade Program this year, with 12-month annual pricing starting at $32 a month for a factory unlocked handset and AppleCare+ warranty protection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    It really does pay to shell out the big bucks up front and then just time your sale for the latest model. You're going to lose that cash fixing old ones anyway (I know)!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

It really does pay to shell out the big bucks up front and then just time your sale for the latest model. You're going to lose that cash fixing old ones anyway (I know)!

Yeah... this sounds good on the surface, but their deal really is just a repackaged trade in program. Basically for an iPhone 6s it's $20/mo lease, and they are giving you $15 credit every month for trading it in over 18 months.. so you get $270 for the iPhone 6 16GB model. Keep in mind if you want to buy out the phone after 18 months, it's another $150 - $228 (depending on model and taxes) 

It's not a great deal honestly.. it's just repackaging the same trade-in offers they've had, but making the lease look cheep. 

You'll get at least $500 or more for the same phone on eBay.. /shrug - Trade in is still more of a convenience for those who don't want to eBay it; but you really are throwing $$ away by doing so.

• Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Yeah... this sounds good on the surface, but their deal really is just a repackaged trade in program. Basically for an iPhone 6s it's $20/mo lease, and they are giving you $15 credit every month for trading it in over 18 months.. so you get $270 for the iPhone 6 16GB model. Keep in mind if you want to buy out the phone after 18 months, it's another $150 - $228 (depending on model and taxes) 

It's not a great deal honestly.. it's just repackaging the same trade-in offers they've had, but making the lease look cheep. 

You'll get at least $500 or more for the same phone on eBay.. /shrug - Trade in is still more of a convenience for those who don't want to eBay it; but you really are throwing $$ away by doing so.

If it costs $5/mo for the phone for 18 months (net) that means you only pay $90 for the phone there...add in the $150 to $228 you quote to buy out the phone and you end up only paying $240 to $318 for an iPhone 6S.  To me that is one heck of a deal.  It's much better than any other carrier deal at the moment.

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

If it costs $5/mo for the phone for 18 months (net) that means you only pay $90 for the phone there...add in the $150 to $228 you quote to buy out the phone and you end up only paying $240 to $318 for an iPhone 6S.  To me that is one heck of a deal.  It's much better than any other carrier deal at the moment.

$240 to $318 plus your old iphone 6 as trade-in (worth $310-$350 according to the gazelle ad >>, even more on ebay)

• Reply 5 of 8
    This works because people tend to think of their "old" phone as having little value. It's a weird thing about ownership. Once you own something you have it forever free, so it seems free to the average person.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Yeah, I guess I wasn't really clear, but that's sort of what I was getting at. It's better to just get top dollar for your phone on ebay just before the new one comes out rather than get sucked into one of these trade-in schemes. For some reason in the past I thought I was saving money by just hanging on to my old phone for years and years, but then I wind up replacing a screen, or replacing a home button or replacing a wake/sleep button or a battery or any combination thereof. The components are pretty cheap, but then there's shipping, time spent fixing or paying to have it fixed... it all adds up to more than what I'd lose in the trade up to the new one! Oh well, maybe next time.

• Reply 7 of 8
    adm1 wrote: »
    $240 to $318 plus your old iphone 6 as trade-in (worth $310-$350 according to the gazelle ad >>, even more on ebay)
    $300+350=$650, so you are still paying basic price, this is better for someone just wanting straight character at same price.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The best option would be to get the $15 deal by trading in any older phone. or get a prepaid phone for like $30 bucks from best buy and trade it for iPhone 6s. Youd be paying 15x18= 270 30 164= 464