T-Mobile CEO says iPhone 6s preorders up 30 percent over iPhone 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
T-Mobile USA has so far seen preorders for the iPhone 6s rise 30 percent higher than those for the iPhone 6 last year, according to CEO John Legere.

Legere made the claim on Twitter while announcing his company's special trade-in plan for people wanting an iPhne 6s. People can trade in an iPhone 6 and get a 6s on lease for just $5 per month, or hand in an iPhone 5s and pay $10 per month.

Relatively little is known about the success of iPhone 6s preorders so far. Apple has run out of launch-day delivery stock though, and two days after preorders began, the company said it was "on pace" to beat the 10 million units it sold during the 2014 launch weekend for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

For people wanting one of the new phones at launch, the best bet may now be to line up at participating retail stores early on Friday morning. These include Apple Stores, carrier stores, and some third-party resellers.

Analysts have expressed concern that iPhone 6s and 6s Plus sales could be relatively soft in comparison to the blockbuster numbers for their predecessors. The latter were the first iPhones with large screens comparable to Android rivals, and the 6s series is a relatively modest evolution, mostly adding 3D Touch, faster processors, and better cameras.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    But...but...but....it's only a minor upgrade from the 6. Who'd waste money to buy what's essentially the same phone again?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    T-Mobile's promise of much better coverage due to their new spectrum caused me to give them a try this time. Plus they are giving a 30 day no questions asked return policy in case one doesn't like their service.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    T-Mobile's promise of much better coverage due to their new spectrum caused me to give them a try this time. Plus they are giving a 30 day no questions tsked return policy in case one doesn't like their service.
    So what you're saying is that this has less to do with The success of the 6S, and more to do with T-Mobile becoming a more attractive carrier -- the result of which would mean ATT, Verizon & Sprint would then report fewer 6S sales than the 6. Of course if all the carriers are up, then it's the 6S. It's an interesting question for sure. Makes me wonder if direct sales by Apple have gone up at the expense of the carriers. Buying direct from Apple has always been my preferred method of buying a phone. I don't think I've bought anything from a carrier since my Motorola Razr, but clearly not for everyone.
  • Reply 4 of 30

That's not what I said. I would have purchased the 6s to get its new features, regardless of the T-Mobile offer. I find T-Mobile's unlimited free streaming attractive since I'm using CarPlay now.

• Reply 5 of 30
    That's not what I said. I would have purchased the 6s to get its new features, regardless of the T-Mobile offer. I find T-Mobile's unlimited free streaming attractive since I'm using CarPlay now.
    Thanks for clarifying, clearly there are compelling reasons to buy the 6S even for those who own a 6 already. However, the way you phrased it raised the issue, that it could very well be T-Mobile's policies that have attracted more customers who are leaving their old carriers as they upgrade to the 6S. Definitely a possibility.

I'd be curious to know if there Is a statistic as to how many iPhone users upgrade every model, vs. the 2-year carrier contract model, and after 3+ years. Most people I know allow that 2 year contract to rule them.

I personally have ATT unlimited internet which will probably keep me tied to them until they drop that option, or someone else comes along with a more compelling plan that offsets my corporate discount as well, with good coverage in most areas I frequent. I keep thinking the next iPhone will have a feature I can't have unless I switch plans. Hot Spot tethering was almost one of those for me.
  • Reply 6 of 30

I think you're right about that. T-Mobile offers wifi calling, unlimited free streaming, rollover LTE data, and attractive rate plans. Time will tell if the coverage with their new 700 MHz band is as good as Verizon's. Verizon's service in my neighborhood has dropped from 4 bars to 1-2 over the last year, so I'm eager for a better solution.

• Reply 7 of 30
    I think you're right about that. T-Mobile offers wifi calling, unlimited free streaming, rollover LTE data, and attractive rate plans. Time will tell if the coverage with their new 700 MHz band is as good as Verizon's. Verizon's service in my neighborhood has dropped from 4 bars to 1-2 over the last year, so I'm eager for a better solution.
    Did you take advantage of the $5/month trade-in plan then?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/188437/t-mobile-trade-in-plan-offers-iphone-6s-from-5-per-month

I think that probably has a lot to do with it as well. Even if you have to pay the $150 cancellation fee to get out of your contract with another carrier, it's a pretty attractive offer from T-Mobile considering evening else they're offering. I used to be entirely bundled to ATT for everything, but since I cut my land line and moved into an area without U-Verse, they've got no hold on me. The rest of my family are bundled up to their eyeballs with them.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    T-Mobile will also pay all of your cancellation fees to get out of your contract with another carrier. In fact, I think they may also pay off the remaining financing on your phone too, if you then turn it in to them when you move to T-Mobile.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Good job, T-Mobile.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Analysts have expressed concern that iPhone 6s and 6s Plus sales could be relatively soft in comparison to the blockbuster numbers for their predecessors. The latter were the first iPhones with large screens comparable to Android rivals, and the 6s series is a relatively modest evolution, mostly adding 3D Touch, faster processors, and better cameras.

Are analysts really this stoopid? When has this EVER been the case?

"The 3GS is only a modest update."

"The 4S is only a modest update."

"The 5s is only a modest update."

"The 6s is only a modest update."

They really are that much of a broken record. Every S model has outsold the previous. It's like they rehash the same concern stories from years past and just retool it for the current year.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Good job, T-Mobile.

It will be interesting to see how long they can afford to keep offering promotions like this. While great for the consumer, the company is going to lose money hand over fist(they've had negative EPS 4 of the last 5 quarters). They're still living off of the breakup fee they got from AT&T I think...
  • Reply 12 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Only 30%? Doomed™.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    But...but...but....it's only a minor upgrade from the 6. Who'd waste money to buy what's essentially the same phone again?
    Perhaps because TMo has what sounds like a great deal. better than last years?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Their coverage between large cities is really bad, but the rest of the time, I love T-Mobile. Fast LTE, unlimited music streaming, rollover data, and the first to offer an iPhone payment plan so that after 2 years, my monthly rate decreases, unlike how it was with the other 3 carriers, 2 years ago.
  • Reply 15 of 30

HA HA!!!

• Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

T-Mobile's promise of much better coverage due to their new spectrum caused me to give them a try this time. Plus they are giving a 30 day no questions tsked return policy in case one doesn't like their service.

So what you're saying is that this has less to do with The success of the 6S, and more to do with T-Mobile becoming a more attractive carrier -- the result of which would mean ATT, Verizon & Sprint would then report fewer 6S sales than the 6. Of course if all the carriers are up, then it's the 6S. It's an interesting question for sure. Makes me wonder if direct sales by Apple have gone up at the expense of the carriers. Buying direct from Apple has always been my preferred method of buying a phone. I don't think I've bought anything from a carrier since my Motorola Razr, but clearly not for everyone.

Yeah, he totally didn't say that. He didn't 'imply' that.

You simply read that into his simple statement about himself and T-Mobile service.

• Reply 17 of 30

Your all making feel good about buying T-Mobile's stock.  

• Reply 18 of 30
    Now THAT is the $64K question!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I feel bad for T-Mobile retail and support staff. They literally change their entire policy, plans, and offerings weekly.

• Reply 20 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Sold %30 more only because there was more channel fill. Doomed.

The fandroid comments are hilarious.

One comment on the 6s review read
    "So nothing's changed?"
    Fandroid moron #2
    "Pretty much".

I couldn't make this stupidity up!!

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63245/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

It's technically not sold out world wide until it's available in Antarctica and the Amazon Forrest. Doomed.