Apple releases iOS 9.0.1 with minor fixes for alarms, video playback, setup assistant, more

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Just a week after iOS 9 launched to the public, Apple has already followed up with a quick security and maintenance update, addressing a handful of issues that affected the new mobile operating system.

iOS 9.0.1 is now available to download to the public via Software Update in the iPhone Settings app, or via iTunes. The update contains a number of bug fixes, according to Apple, including:
  • Addressing an issue where some users could not complete setup assistant after updating
  • Fixes an issue where sometimes alarms and timers could fail to play
  • Fixes an issue in Safari and Photos where pausing video could cause the paused frame to appear distorted
  • Fixes an issue where some users with a custom APN setup via a profile would lose cellular data
Apple announced this week that iOS 9 is off to the fastest adoption rate of any software release from the company ever. More than half of devices accessing the App Store, as tracked by Apple, had already upgraded as of this weekend.

The free update includes more advanced iPad multitasking, a News app, search and Siri enhancements, and under-the-hood improvements like better battery life and a smaller download size. It is compatible with iPhone 4s, iPad 2, and fifth-gen iPad touch or later devices.

While iOS 9.0.1 is a relatively minor update, Apple is expected to introduce more significant fixes, and potentially new features, with iOS 9.1. A second beta of that upcoming software update was released to developers on Wednesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Have they added Apple News to the UK?
  • Reply 2 of 40

Still not seeing it for my 5S or Mini 4 on iTunes :(

• Reply 3 of 40
    Can we transfer purchases from the iPhones / iPads to PC using iTunes? Looks like Apple has killed that feature in iOS 9.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, I don't seem to be getting much of anything on my iPad. I was using the beta. Then the beta for 9.1 came out, and I ran that. Then it went from saying beta to just 9.1. I went to software update, and it says my iPad is up to date. I'll check later.

My phone, which wasn't ever on the beta, updated just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    nishanth wrote: »
    Can we transfer purchases from the iPhones / iPads to PC using iTunes? Looks like Apple has killed that feature in iOS 9.

What does that mean?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Cool!

Whole process took 15 minutes for me.

My iPhone 5 had no issues with iOS 9 but I updated anyway...
  • Reply 7 of 40
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Nope, no Apple news. Ah well
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

What does that mean?

If you use a Windows-based PC or laptop at home, you can (could?) download purchased content via iTunes.  e.g., not just purchased music, but if I purchased a TV show episode, I could download that to my PC's hard drive.  (In fact, older iTunes used to do this automatically, which was a PITA - why would I want to download every TV episode I've purchased to my laptop hard drive?)

Sounds like that function might have been disabled now.  Maybe that's because Apple expects everything to be iCloud based now - though it seems like it should still be an option if, e.g., you want to download TV shows or purchased movies to a laptop before a flight.

• Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

If you use a Windows-based PC or laptop at home, you can (could?) download purchased content via iTunes.  e.g., not just purchased music, but if I purchased a TV show episode, I could download that to my PC's hard drive.  (In fact, older iTunes used to do this automatically, which was a PITA - why would I want to download every TV episode I've purchased to my laptop hard drive?)

Sounds like that function might have been disabled now.  Maybe that's because Apple expects everything to be iCloud based now - though it seems like it should still be an option if, e.g., you want to download TV shows or purchased movies to a laptop before a flight.

Have you looked under the Purchased link on the iTunes store tab?  I had the same issue and called Apple and they advised me to look there to download items I had bought on my iPad or iPhone.  The automatic download functionality is selectable in the preferences.

• Reply 10 of 40

It's disabled because with iOS 9 you get slimmed versions of apps, so reverse syncing to your Mac or PC wouldn't be ideal because it'd only be the version of the apps for that specific device. Your backup would not work when restoring to a different iOS device.

• Reply 11 of 40
    Since updating to 9.01 Siri on my Apple Watch doesn't work anymore. Anybody else?
  • Reply 12 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol_prior View Post

Have you looked under the Purchased link on the iTunes store tab?  I had the same issue and called Apple and they advised me to look there to download items I had bought on my iPad or iPhone.  The automatic download functionality is selectable in the preferences.

Ditto. I had the same issue and an e-mail from Apple cleared it up for me too.

• Reply 13 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Noicc1138 View Post

Since updating to 9.01 Siri on my Apple Watch doesn't work anymore. Anybody else?

No

• Reply 14 of 40
    Now if we can only do the updates via Cellular as well instead of doing the Personal Hotspot 2-Step with my iPhone then again with the iPad, to get them both updated while away from home.
  • Reply 15 of 40

iOS 9.0.1 now on my 5S and Mini 4, running smooth as silk...

• Reply 16 of 40
    There is still a bug where I try and send a tex to a number starting with a 4 or higher crashes the tex message so I have to double click and delete the screen.
  • Reply 17 of 40

So far, it's booted on me during 'video playback' and switching between apps hasn't been stellar. 9.0.2 is on the way, I'm sure.

• Reply 18 of 40
    melgross wrote: »
    Well, I don't seem to be getting much of anything on my iPad. I was using the beta. Then the beta for 9.1 came out, and I ran that. Then it went from saying beta to just 9.1. I went to software update, and it says my iPad is up to date. I'll check later.

My phone, which wasn't ever on the beta, updated just fine.

The reason your phone updated fine is because it wasn't on the beta. If your iPad is running the beta of 9.1 you won't be able to roll it back to 9.01
  • Reply 19 of 40
    sierrajeff wrote: »

Ah, content. When he said purchases, I didn't know what he meant. I thought he was talking about apps, and that didn't make sense.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Noicc1138 View Post

Just tested and it works fine on my watch.