Apple issues second betas of iOS 9.1, tvOS, Xcode 7.1 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
In conjunction with iOS 9.0.1, Apple on Wednesday also released second betas of iOS 9.1 and tvOS to developers for testing ahead of their public launch.

The new iOS 9.1 beta is listed as build 13B5119e, and can be downloaded as an over-the-air update for existing 9.1 testers, or else through Apple's iOS developer portal. The tvOS code is build 13T5365h, and must be downloaded from a separate tvOS page.

While iOS 9.1 can be installed on recent iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch units, developers testing the latest tvOS build must have access to pre-release hardware that was shipped out to select testers last week. The chosen few were charged a $1 fee for the opportunity.

The public will be able to get their hands on the new fourth-generation Apple TV when it goes onsale in October. Apple hasn't yet given a launch timeframe for iOS 9.1, however.

The first beta of iOS 9.1 was supplied to developers earlier this month, the same day that the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, new Apple TV, and iPad Pro were all announced. Among the standout features within iOS 9.1 is support for Unicode 8, featuring new emoji such as a taco, burrito unicorn, middle finger, and a mysterious "eye in speech bubble" character.

iOS 9.1 is believed to be the default installation on Apple's forthcoming iPad Pro. If that's the case, the public should see the new software update no later than the jumbo-sized tablet's November launch.

Along with the new betas of iOS 9.1 and tvOS, Apple also released a new, second beta of Xcode 7.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I am on iOS 9.1 beta 1 version even though i tried to get on iOS 9.0 to see all the hidden new features on my iPod touch 5th gen.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hope Apple brings back the Transfer Purchases from devices to PCs using iTunes back. It just is not working on iOS 9 release.
  • Reply 3 of 6

Public beta will likely be tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

Hope Apple brings back the Transfer Purchases from devices to PCs using iTunes back. It just is not working on iOS 9 release.

I had issues with it in iOS 8 as well as the 9 betas.

• Reply 4 of 6
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Those of you taking delivery of 6s soon...you might want to hold off upgrading your current phone to 9.1 beta. You may end up stuck trying to restore your new phone from backup...a device (like the 6s) with 9.0 cannot restore from a backup made with 9.1, etc. Then you'll have the unnecessary hassle of trying to restore the 6s to 9.1, then restore from backup...all the while hoping you activated the 6s properly.

There is also the remote possibility (if your old phone is being traded in) that the carrier may give you grief about it running a beta OS.

Just something to consider before you jump the gun.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Those emoticons are not flat certified.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I have an issue with cellular data being toggled back to original state after changing it and exiting the Settings. It's a real problem. I cannot access some data in apps via cellular at all. Oddly, it's not all apps, only apps have that problem notably Facebook. It used to be fine with older iOS but with iOS 9, the toggle state always revert back after I leave Settings.