Apple prepares for thinner iPhones with slim headphone plug patent

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    MathieuLLF wrote: »
    No it's not, the last thing anyone needs is another proprietary jack/cable. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the jack the way it is currently.

It has a large diameter, it takes up a lot of room internally, it doesn't do much for the size of the connector, and there plenty of other options that would work great that are already included on devices. I dont think the 3.5mm jack is going to be standard in iDevices for much longer.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

It has a large diameter, it takes up a lot of room internally, it doesn't do much for the size of the connector, and there plenty of other options that would work great that are already included on devices. I dont think the 3.5mm jack is going to be standard in iDevices for much longer.

It's really not that large and the last thing anyone needs is a thinner iPhone. It's already thin enough. I'd rather have a little bit thicker iPhone with longer battery life. 

• Reply 83 of 92
    It's really not that large and the last thing anyone needs is a thinner iPhone. It's already thin enough. I'd rather have a little bit thicker iPhone with longer battery life. 

I'd rather have a smaller and lighter phone with longer battery life.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'd rather have a smaller and lighter phone with longer battery life.

If that were possible sure, but with current battery standards, that's definitely not. The iPhone is already super thin, any thinner would be more uncomfortable in the hand anyway. I would rather feel that my phone has some substance rather than too light.

• Reply 85 of 92
    If that were possible sure, but with current battery standards, that's definitely not. The iPhone is already super thin, any thinner would be more uncomfortable in the hand anyway. I would rather feel that my phone has some substance rather than too light.

:???: So you're saying that removing the 3.5mm HW will not allow for more internal space that could be used for the battery?

Additionally, having one less internal component that is limited to very few areas on the sides of the top and bottom as a primary design parameters would allow for better organizational the other components, which could result in even better space management for a larger physical battery without increasing the volume of the overall device.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amperzand View Post

What about two lightning ports? Or one lightning port and inductive charging.

2 ports is a great solution.  And opens up new options people smarter than me will think up.  Im already wondering how fast a dual charger will power up my phone!

• Reply 87 of 92
    Hmm. This is concerning. I'm worried about Apple going into the proprietary audio plug business.

They want to make a 2.0 mm thick stereo jack when there is already a 2.5 sub-mini stereo jack standard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

Seriously? Shaving off 0.5 mm is important? What else is the goal here?
  • Reply 88 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekCurrie View Post

Hmm. This is concerning. I'm worried about Apple going into the proprietary audio plug business.

They want to make a 2.0 mm thick stereo jack when there is already a 2.5 sub-mini stereo jack standard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

Seriously? Shaving off 0.5 mm is important? What else is the goal here?

This only shows Apple is thinking about solutions to the problem of adapting standard ports to their ever slimming hardware. This is not a very Apple solution to this problem. Apple is moving towards, wireless technology first and foremost, and digital in the other. I wouldn't ever expect to see this connecter to ever see the light of day. 

Most likely we will see inductive charging added to iDevices in the near future, thus freeing up the Lightning port for accessories like headphones, the standard for which Apple published for developers in December. That to me signals the direction Apple plans on going -- Lightning headphones with outboard DACs for those customers who prefer a wired solution and higher quality audio. It also allows them to reduce the cost of the DAC chip they're putting into their hardware since it only needs to provide quality enough for the limited speakers Apple is able to squeeze into their ever slimming enclosures, and not analogue "audiophile" quality equipment a customer might plug into it.

• Reply 89 of 92

I'd like Lightning to at least be updated to USB 3 speeds. Every time I've had to restore my phone it takes several hours to finish copying everything back onto it.

• Reply 90 of 92

Ground is never in the tip. Ground is always the shield closest to the strain relief / cord side of the connector.

This is so that no circuit is closed until all the signals are in place.

• Reply 91 of 92
    vmarks wrote: »
    Ground is never in the tip. Ground is always the shield closest to the strain relief / cord side of the connector.

This is so that no circuit is closed until all the signals are in place.

Can't say never because in telephony applications the ground is indeed on the tip.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MathieuLLF View Post

I've been saying that for a while, but most people disagree with me.

I personally love the form factor of my old iBook G4 with an optical drive, keyboard keys that have some real travel in them, and full complement of I/O ports (USB, FW, Ethernet, display, etc.)  I would love it if Apple would put a modern motherboard and Retina display in there, and keep almost everything else unchanged (well, we can ditch the modem, upgrade USB to 3.0, replace the proprietary display connector with one or two Thunderbolt ports and replace the power connector with MagSafe), filling all the now-free space with battery.  Given how much less power modern MacBook motherboards consume, you could probably get 12-15 hours of run-time from such a system.

Ditto with phones.  I love my 6+ and it usually has enough battery to last a whole day, but if I had a choice and could get that phone in a case as thick as my old 4S, filling all that extra space with an extra large battery, I would prefer that option.  It would allow me to go 2 or 3 days between charges.  And my daughter (who drains her phone's battery and an external battery pack every day) would be able to go a whole day without needing to carry a spare battery around.

But most people (including most people here reading this, I'm sure) disagree with me.  For them (and for Apple, it seems,) it is most important to be as thin as possible at all costs.  I'm sure many would love a phone as thin as a credit card or a piece of paper, even though such extreme thinness would most likely be a disadvantage (harder to handle, easier to bend/break, harder to support usable I/O ports, etc.)