Rose gold iPhone 6s models said to represent as much as 40% of preorders

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Though it is only one of four colors available, the new rose gold iPhone 6s is said to be the most popular option for preorders, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities.

According to supply chain sources who spoke with Kuo, the rose gold iPhone 6s series is accounting for between 30 and 40 percent of preorders. The details were revealed in a note to investors issued Thursday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.

The main beneficiary of the popularity of the rose gold iPhone 6s will be Foxconn Precision, Kuo said. That's because Foxconn is the only casing supplier who is capable of volume production of that version, he said.

As for total sales over the opening weekend, Kuo said Apple could realistically sell anywhere between 10 million and 13 million units. If Apple does reach the 12-to-13-million range, it would be in line with Wall Street's high expectations, he said.

But to Kuo, it's more likely that Apple sells under 12 million units. The analyst said it's difficult to tell right now whether that scenario would be a result of the supply chain still ramping up production, or consumer demand.

Currently, the new Taptic Engine, backlight module, and rose gold casing are all responsible for production bottlenecks, he said.

Apple already announced earlier this month that the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are on track to set new records for the company at launch. Last year, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus sold a blockbuster 10 million units in their first weekend.

A key difference this year, beyond the popular rose gold color, is the fact that the iPhone 6s series will be available from day one in China, a booming market with a voracious appetite for iPhones. Investors expect that the inclusion of China at launch will help push the iPhone 6s to new records over the first three days.

Apple is likely to announce opening weekend sales next Monday, Sept. 28. The company has taken a similar approach in years past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

I am one of the 40%

and due to work, I'm out of town tonight through Sunday for work and won't get my spanking new pink phone until Sunday night;-(.  In fact, I'm likely passing my iphone on the road as drives down to the local distribution center this afternoon. 

• Reply 2 of 49
    That explains my situation...

I pre ordered my boss's iPhone 6s Plus (64 GB, Space Grey) 10 minutes after pre orders started through Apple and he will be receiving his on launch day.

My wife's iPhone 6s Plus (64 GB, Rose Gold) was ordered on the 15th from AT&T and continues to show estimated ship date of October 27-November 3.

Now my iPhone 6s Plus (64 GB, Space Grey) was also ordered at the same time as my wife's through AT&T and originally showed an estimated ship date of October 20-27 then three days ago it went down to October 13-20 and yesterday I received a tracking number from UPS showing it shipped via UPS Next Day Air Saver and a delivery date on launch day!

How Apple (and Carriers) handle these pre orders is just confusing. Sadly my wife still has to wait a long time!

Anyone else experience what I am experiencing?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though it is only one of four colors available, the new rose gold iPhone 6s is said to be the most popular option for preorders, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities.

According to supply chain sources who spoke with Kuo, the rose gold iPhone 6s series is accounting for between 30 and 40 percent of preorders. The details were revealed in a note to investors issued Thursday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.

How the frigg does this guy know this? Supply chain source data would not indicate how many Rose Gold iPhones have been ordered. The only way I can think of him knowing this info is by knowing the person/people in charge of shipping fulfillment at Foxconn.

Agreed?

I may not know how this stuff works but common sense tells me this. Am I missing something?

• Reply 4 of 49
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

I guess we will hear from Apple on Monday or Tuesday. Considering China being included in the launch, the additional week of production and the numerous rumors that Apple has ordered record numbers, I got the feeling that they will blow these numbers away.

I hope Apple will do something about the design of the device's back for the "silver" version next year. Not a fan of gold, but both gold versions look a lot better than the silver with these gray stripes...

• Reply 5 of 49
    How the frigg does this guy know this? Supply chain source data would not indicate how many Rose Gold iPhones have been ordered. The only way I can think of him knowing this info is by knowing the person/people in charge of shipping fulfillment at Foxconn.

Market research, possibly? He asked 100 friends and 40 said 'pink'?

Hey, we could do this stuff, if we wanted to, and get quoted as industry experts by the world's press...
  • Reply 6 of 49
    So much for all the geniuses against the Rose Color Gold. Glad Apple ignores rumor sites.
  • Reply 7 of 49

My copper-gold 128GB is on its way, as promised, on Sept 25....

• Reply 8 of 49
    we are the 40% movement will begin shortly...for everyone who is waiting on their rose gold phone.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Pure baloney. He does not know squat.

When he is proven wrong WS will not call him out. He has done his job. They will cleanup with expiration tomorrow.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Clearly this is good info. Since the universe revolves around my family and rose is 1/3rd of our orders, the correct percentage is 33%
  • Reply 11 of 49
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Mine too!  Got the tracking this morning and it shows on time for tomorrow.  6S plus 128GB in rose champagne

• Reply 12 of 49

This was the best phone my mom ever had. Dad had the navy blue one.

• Reply 13 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Edit: pardon me, you did mean the normal gold.

[Congratulations, you are soon to be disappointed. The color is light pink, not the promised rose gold. Almost the entirety of any copper or gold tint you may detect in pics is either photoshopped, simply inaccurate, auto-color-correction to yield a better flesh tone, or reflections of skin or other beige-ish objects nearby. Smooth versus matte finishes aside, the rose gold iPhone color looks nothing like the color of the rose gold Watch Edition. In neutral light, the "rose gold" iPhone and Sport Watch are pink.]

• Reply 14 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Agreed?

I may not know how this stuff works but common sense tells me this. Am I missing something?

You are correct. There is no way the supply chain would know the percentage of sales that were rose gold. The only thing they might know is that they have received re-orders for rose gold parts in a higher percentage than originally planned. All that tells you is that Apple may have under forecast rose gold and is now smoothing out their inventory based on initial pre-orders. In fact, Rose gold may only make up 10% of sales. There's no way of knowing yet. It's amazing how people look at raw data (if it's even real) and spin a yarn that may or may not tell the story.

• Reply 15 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

So much for all the geniuses against the Rose Color Gold. Glad Apple ignores rumor sites.

The geniuses are those who blindly push the rose gold iPhone as being rose gold in color instead of the light pink it is.

• Reply 16 of 49
    And the Scamsung Galaxy S Rose Gold edition comes out in 3...2...1...
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

And the Scamsung Galaxy S Rose Gold edition comes out in 3...2...1...

Feb 2014 ...

• Reply 18 of 49
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The geniuses are those who blindly push the rose gold iPhone as being rose gold in color instead of the light pink it is.

What point are you trying to make? Everybody knows it is not actual gold, it is a marketing name for a color. And, if you know true rose gold, you know that it varies wildly in color (depending on the amount of copper in the mix). I have two real rose gold watches (one inherited Eterna and a Patek Philippe I bought myself) and they have completely different colors, one is more pink, the other has more of a rust color. The iPhone has one particular tone of rose gold, and obviously not all of them.

• Reply 19 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cpsro wrote: »

Rose means pink, so rose gold means pink gold. Who's pushing anything here?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Rose means pink, so rose gold means pink gold. Who's pushing anything here?

Roses are red.

Violets are blue.

I've not yet seen a Rose Gold iPhone,

Neither have you.