Top iOS ad blocker Crystal lets advertisers pay to bypass restrictions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 184
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

My Peace app is still working just fine. 

• Reply 22 of 184

Question how long before a Class Action Lawsuit if filed against this Bozo?

• Reply 23 of 184
    If I pay someone to block ads, then their selling access to play ads I paid to block is fraud.

That said, let's be realistic. As one poster said, " there aren't any free lunches" anymore. I don't mind passive ads that appear on a page, I can read them as I choose or not. What I object to are the ads that hijack my attention and steal bandwidth, causing a page to take 2-3 times longer to load.

I object to ads that force my phone to open a new app, play video without my permission, that pop up from a highlighted word, whether I want it or not. I hate ads that cause an app or my browser to crash because I won't let it write a cookie to my phone. I despise ads that make my browsing more difficult by flipping my screen back and forth while it loads several seconds after I have begun to read page content. And, ads that have a timer set up to keep the ad in front of me until it allows me access to the close box frustrate me.

Yeah...that's a lot of vitriol but I am tired of ads that waste my time and bandwidth and hijack my attention. It's my time, not theirs.

Passive ads, if that were the standard, would be more than acceptable. Until advertisers use them, I will fight to keep my experience free from ads that steal bandwidth and my time.

And, a note to advertisers: I seldom pay attention to your crap because I despise your tactics. I make an effort to do ignore your ads. All you do is ensure I ignore you and make me angry at the companies whose product you advertise.
  • Reply 24 of 184
    mikesmoke wrote: »
    Well. I'm glad Crystal cost me only 99 cents. The ad blocker that doesn't block ads. Will be looking for a replacement. Good to know this information.

badmonk wrote: »
    I too am very disappointed and am going to delete the app from my iOS devices in protest. Murphy owes me 99 cents man.

Let us all trash the app with 1 ??/???? reviews!

Glad I got it free on day one
  • Reply 25 of 184
    Did this guy used to work at Volkswagen?
  • Reply 26 of 184
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"Highest bidder".

Very market forces.

• Reply 27 of 184
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

This is unreal. Ad Blocker charging advertisers to not block their ads. Amazing. 

So what you're telling me is I need to develop the Crystal blocker and then they have to pay me to let Crystal through.

• Reply 28 of 184
    App should pulled, or it should be called Crystal*

*=Blocked if you don't pay us.

Really stupid way to do business. Unfortunately, they got my money before they did this.
  • Reply 29 of 184
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    This developer is whoring himself to anyone and everyone. I hope he can sleep at night.
  • Reply 30 of 184
    What the ****, I didn't read about that anywhere. They better give me my fucking money back.
  • Reply 31 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

Question how long before a Class Action Lawsuit if filed against this Bozo?

It won't happen.

This feature, when implemented, will be turned on by default but the end user can turn it off. In other words, another crappy job by AppleInsider. I mean, AI had to know this was going to piss a lot of people off, you would think that they would at least mention the feature can be turned off.

-kpluck

• Reply 32 of 184
    Guys quit beaching download Purify Blocker: The Best, Simplest, and Fastest Blocker for Safari by Chris Aljoudi https://appsto.re/us/R-Uz9.i it's on sale today for 99c

But if you want to be in control and block what you want then 1Blocker - Block ads, tracking scripts, anything by Salavat Khanov https://appsto.re/us/Qh2i9.i is the way to go! For $2.99
  • Reply 33 of 184

This will definitely lead to a lawsuit. The developer is breaking state laws here in California. This falls under the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, which most states have adopted. 

Since I got this the day it was free, I can't request a refund, otherwise I would. Now I'm off to leave a 1 star review. 

• Reply 34 of 184
    sergioz wrote: »
    Guys quit beaching download Purify Blocker: The Best, Simplest, and Fastest Blocker for Safari by Chris Aljoudi https://appsto.re/us/R-Uz9.i it's on sale today for 99c

But if you want to be in control and block what you want then 1Blocker - Block ads, tracking scripts, anything by Salavat Khanov https://appsto.re/us/Qh2i9.i is the way to go! For $2.99
    And how do we know these motherfuckers aren't doing side deals that just haven't been reported yet? I don't trust any of this crap right now.
  • Reply 35 of 184
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Many publishers have expressed concern about the advent of ad blockers in iOS 9. Although such blockers have been available on other platforms for years, the iOS market is large enough that losing ad access could do serious harm.

But, but, but Android activates 20 billion devices a day. 

• Reply 36 of 184
    If this 99¢ app only sold 75k units deposits despite dozens of millions of iOS 9 installations at this point, I honestly don't think the traditional ad model has anything to worry about.
  • Reply 37 of 184
    99 cents for an AdSieve, no thanks.
  • Reply 38 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

HAHAHA! Begun, this ad war, has.

OK....Yoda! :D

• Reply 39 of 184
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    lkrupp wrote: »

You have to pay for content one way or the other. That’s how it works. Nothing is free on this Earth.

This isn't the point at all, the problem is advertisements having a massively negative impact on the user. This impact is in part caused by the significant slowdown in the web app (Safari, iExplorer, FireFox or whatever), in part it cost the users huge sums of money especially on mobile, some sites have traffic that amounts to 75% of the bytes downloaded.

I really have nothing against paying for a web site with a few non intrusive apps but when the site has ads popping up literally every minute, sometimes complete obscuring the content, then yes it is time to react and block ads. If the web sites stop making money then they will be forced to find a better way to finance the site or die. it isn't pretty I'm sure but frankly many sites are just excessively greedy.

To look at it another way, what if your broadcast TV channels started running ads every minute, add that you had to pay for because of the bandwidth they used. Would you be all that happy with the arraignment? I think most people understand that nothing is free, what we can't stomach is having our system completely taken over by adds and at the same time paying for the bandwidth they used to get there.
  • Reply 40 of 184
    I knew some one was going to figure out a way to make money off what Apple did. I usa adblock, it is free and uses a VPN connection to block ads and it works well.