Adobe releases Photoshop and Premiere Elements 14 for Mac with new tools

Posted:
in Mac Software edited September 2015
Adobe on Thursday debuted Photoshop Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14, its latest set of consumer level photo and video editing tools that now comes with even more automated features to make your images pop.

The last time Adobe updated its Elements software lineup, it brought a number of improvements to core tools, while adding new features like photo merging and video stabilization. This year, the company does more of the same, but with considerably more attention paid to new functionality.

With Photoshop Elements 14, Adobe introduces tools for removing camera shake and haze from still images. Like other Elements features, fine adjustments are possible for a custom look. In a live demonstration, the haze removal tool quickly sharpened edges and adjusted saturation, while keeping color levels in check.

One of the more impressive enhancements this year goes to the selection tool. Adobe has been continuously improving Photoshop's ability to discover edges and parse out fine detail without much user intervention. The company claims that its latest software can detect hair and fur, notoriously difficult subjects for automatic selection operations, and time consuming if done manually.

In addition, Adobe now includes 34 Guided Edits that help users through common tasks, from resizing to adding motion blur.

Premiere Elements 14 also comes with new Guided Edits, including popping color in black-and-white footage and adding slow- or fast-motion effects for dramatic flair. Most notable, however, is support for 4K video that can be exported to various screen and file formats. The feature comes just in time for Apple's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, both of which are capable of shooting 4K video.

Audio is also enhanced in Premiere, with UI assets moved for easy access while editing. Adobe improved on motion titles, adding bounce, spin and "zoom" effects for memorable opening sequences. Finally, clips and entire projects can be sorted by people, places and events, while users can plot their travels on a map using GPS metadata.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14 are available now for $99.99 separately or as a $149.99 bundle. Upgrades cost $79.99 each or $119.99 when purchased together.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Please note that when AppleInsider uses the term 'POP' they ARE NOT referring to the recently copyrighted term 'POP' (or 'PEEK') for the iPhone 6s.

;)

• Reply 2 of 27
    gtr wrote: »
    Please note that when AppleInsider uses the term 'POP' they ARE NOT referring to the recently copyrighted term 'POP' (or 'PEEK') for the iPhone 6s.

;)

On the Apple ][ we had Peek and Poke ... No Pop, though ...

Look closely at the before and after Lion images shown -- that is a terrible job of edge-detection/background removal ... It looks like Leo was given a brush cut or is having a bad hair day.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Look closely at the before and after Lion images shown -- that is a terrible job of edge-detection/background removal ... It looks like Leo was given a brush cut or is having a bad hair day.

If I recall correctly, peek and poke were part of Basic. The assembly language for the 6502 (and many processorss), I believe, have a pop instruction. OMG! Assembly language! 4K of RAM, shared I/O and memory address space...

• Reply 4 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Just a wee gripe on the marketing of these pho retouching applications; all these applications from PS itself to others that claim to select hair 'easily' always use sample images that are fairly easy to do. In reality with complex backgrounds it is still a bitch to do most times.

I also think the upgrade costs is too high for the Elements applications.
  • Reply 5 of 27

Agreed on high price upgrades but if you pop it into camelcamelcamel you will likely see a $50-$60 price within a few months.  Look at the history of past releases and the price is up and down all the time.  Lowest price for v13 was around $45.  Patience, lol.

• Reply 6 of 27

If you are not dead set on those two specific applications...... money would be better spent on a company that is building reasonable applications at reasonable prices - though they tend to be targeted more in competition with the "pro" level than amateur level.

The apps are:

Affinity Photo which retails for $49 on the App store.

Affinity Designer which I think is the same price - excellent application.

No subscription - just excellent pricing for quality applications.

• Reply 7 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    nouser wrote: »

Agreed on high price upgrades but if you pop it into camelcamelcamel you will likely see a $50-$60 price within a few months.  Look at the history of past releases and the price is up and down all the time.  Lowest price for v13 was around $45.  Patience, lol.

I use the full PS CC but I feel bad for Element users who must surely be hobbyists for the most part. Adobe will lose even more to alternative programs like Affinity Designer with such relatively high upgrade costs, and so they should IMHO.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

]CALL 768

• Reply 9 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Actually that image was taken from a rather small video. There is another shot in the video that is much larger which shows an excellent example of how effective the new feature is. Elements is worth the price just for that feature alone.

• Reply 10 of 27
    mstone wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Look closely at the before and after Lion images shown -- that is a terrible job of edge-detection/background removal ... It looks like Leo was given a brush cut or is having a bad hair day.</span>
    Actually that image was taken from a rather small video. There is another shot in the video that is much larger which shows an excellent example of how effective the new feature is. Elements is worth the price just for that feature alone.

Do you have a link to the video?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    How to automatically do the lion background removal with Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud 2015?

I have tried using the magic wand tool, yet the result is not as good as the one shown in the article lion picture at
    http://photos2.appleinsidercdn.com/gallery/14389-9896-PSE14_RefineEdge-l.jpg
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Do you have a link to the video?

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/features.html

• Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

How to automatically do the lion background removal with Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud 2015?

I have tried using the magic wand tool, yet the result is not as good as the one shown in the article lion picture at

http://photos2.appleinsidercdn.com/gallery/14389-9896-PSE14_RefineEdge-l.jpg

The way I do clipping with hair is to create a new channel. Start with whatever channel already has the most contrast between the subject and the background, then increase the contrast in several steps to isolate a complete black silhouette. That way you can load a selection with that channel as a mask. Often times it requires a bit of manual painting of black or white to get it right. Much better than the magic wand or the path tool. 

Another method is to use the quick selection and refine tool.

• Reply 14 of 27
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Look closely at the before and after Lion images shown -- that is a terrible job of edge-detection/background removal ... It looks like Leo was given a brush cut or is having a bad hair day.</span>

Am I missing something?

First: While you posted a video (above), it looks like an image is being edited -- not a video .

Second: The result is terrible in the amount of detail that's lost.

1000  1000

Here's an example of isolating hair in a compressed video, not an image using FCP

[VIDEO]

The capabilities demonstrated are a standard feature of FCP -- no need to buy any extras!
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Am I missing something?

First: While you posted a video (above), it looks like an image is being edited -- not a video .

That is correct it is a screen grab from a video about the features of Photoshop Elements, so no it is not about editing a video. Second, I think the quality of the end result is fabulous.

• Reply 16 of 27
    Am I missing something?

That is correct it is a screen grab from a video about the features of Photoshop Elements, so no it is not about editing a video. Second, I think the quality of the end result is fabulous.

Have you ever seen a lion that had hair that looked like the end result?

I'd be embarrassed to publish anything that looked that unrealistic!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Again we are viewing a small 72 dpi image, but you can still see single strands of hair. The final image was the one I posted with the white background. The two images you posted are part of the intermediate steps of the process. What do you find objectionable about the final image other than it was created with an Adobe product? 

• Reply 18 of 27

Again we are viewing a small 72 dpi image, but you can still see single strands of hair. The final image was the one I posted with the white background. The two images you posted are part of the intermediate steps of the process. What do you find objectionable about the final image other than it was created with an Adobe product? 

In the sequence shown in the video:
    1. they trace the image edges with some sort of tool
    2. this yields the poor intermediate image with the red background -- missing the hair strands that I highlighted
    3. somehow, that fades to an image with the white background -- with [some, not all,] of the missing hair strands magically returned

Are you suggesting that the tool went from 2 to 3 without any manipulation by a human?

If so, why not go to 3 directly -- or 2 with the missing strands included?

I have been a user of Adobe products from their original offerings up until CC. Their current products are good -- but bloated and overpriced, IMO. But I have no objection to Adobe, per se!

Edit: I asked you for a link and you posted a link to a movie with the small images. The movie has terrible resolution of the lion image at full screen.

Do you you have a link to the larger source image?

• Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Are you suggesting that the tool went from 2 to 3 without any manipulation by a human?

Exactly! It works similar to the Quick Select tool in both Photoshop and Affinity Photo. First you do a quick select and then use the refine tool. The red mask which is just one view choice adjusts to capture the fine hairs automatically as you brush over them.

• Reply 20 of 27

Exactly! It works similar to the Quick Select tool in both Photoshop and Affinity Photo. First you do a quick select and then use the refine tool. The red mask which is just one view choice adjusts to capture the fine hairs automatically as you brush over them.

Mmm ...

What entity uses the refine tool and brushes over the fine hairs ... Could that be a human?

I'll admit the result is better, but the returned hairs are short multi-hair stubs -- not the finer hairs in the original (even though the original is lower resolution).

How does it do when the subject with the hair is on a solid background or green screen?