Apple to officially host Xcode on Chinese servers in wake of malware issue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    lkrupp wrote: »
    So you downloaded it from the Chinese App Store? It’s still available in the U.S. store. How do you know your copy is infected?

No, I downloaded it from the German store. And I don't know if it is infected. I don't k I was well if the developer used different xcodes from different sources to create all language versions.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    konqerror wrote: »

You're obviously white, or not Asian. Well known that the Chinese, both in Mainland China and overseas, treat non-Asian and Asians very differently. The worst case is an ABC dealing with mainland China, you're seen as a traitor, maybe not to your face but definitely behind your back.

Not only in business, this is the official position of the government as well. If you find yourself in trouble, you may be denied consulate access, because they say you're of Chinese descent. Well known issue especially pre-1997.

Could you spell out ABC because I'm not aware of it's meaning in this context?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I remain stupefied that nearly everyone is blaming Apple totally and giving the lazy developers who downloaded a pirated copy of Xcode a pass. What were they thinking? I thought developers were tech savvy and security conscious.

Many developers barely know how to program, they just have an idea for the App Store. Seriously every week there is one or more: "I'm new to XCode and programming" posts on the various Apple related programming forums.

By the way that is generally a good thing. This leads to innovative new apps.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Could you spell out ABC because I'm not aware of it's meaning in this context?

American Born Chinese.

• Reply 25 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Basic human nature. Developers are just like everyone else. They just want to get their productive work done and minimize the amount of time spent waiting or tending to non productive work and clap trap. Waiting 3x longer for something to download when they believe a faster alternative exists provides plenty of motivation whether it is the absolute right thing to do or not. If you're going to put developers into a special category because they did something for the sake of expediency then you may as well lump in everyone who's ever exceeded the speed limit while driving a car, written a password on a piece of paper, or committed any one of millions of compromising shortcuts that humans do every single hour of every single day. We all strive to be less dumb but we're all basically hard wired to be dumb and have to constantly put forth tremendous effort to counteract our default instinctual reaction to Life. It's the curse of being meat based life forms who've evolved over millions of years and faced with millions of challenges to our survival.

I applaud Apple for taking an empathic approach to solving this problem for our fellow humans. Yeah, developers are humans even though it's sometimes hard to tell.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

and casual racism is ingrained in others

Oh good lord. Here's some more 'casual racism' (if you like to call it that, I prefer to call it 'stating facts') for you:

You British folk love to play the racist card!  You are all obsessed by the Marxist whipping stick. Give it a rest.

...and you have bad teeth :)

Plus for the record, I have been to China, and yes it is very corrupt. That's just a fact, not racism.

• Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also announced in a FAQ on its website this week that it will "soon" publish a list of the 25 most popular apps affected by the so-called "XcodeGhost" issue. Apple says that outside of the top 25 apps, the number of users affected by the exploit "drops significantly."

Maybe I've missed this somewhere and someone here can set me straight, but why isn't Apple also disabling the apps as it finds them? The fabled app "kill switch" that everyone was aghast about when Jobs confirmed it's existence?

Maybe it doesn't exist, since I can't imagine a more appropriate time to use it.

• Reply 28 of 35

Oh good lord. Here's some more 'casual racism' (if you like to call it that, I prefer to call it 'stating facts') for you:
    You British folk love to play the racist card!  You are all obsessed by the Marxist whipping stick. Give it a rest.

Plus for the record, I have been to China, and yes it is very corrupt. That's just a fact, not racism.
    what's the Marxist whipping stick? Can I buy a real one or is there a cheap knockoff available?
    Ps my teeth are fine. No uneccessary cosmetic work but stiLL good and healthy.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

and casual racism is ingrained in others

There is NOTHING racist about his comment. I've been to China, and I know what he said was 100% accurate. Don't be so over sensitive.

• Reply 30 of 35
    OK... let's flush the big bad Racist Card swirling around in this toilet... and call it Cultural Differences.

Is it really the same corruption as we know it in the West? Is it because of being born evil? Is it possible a different mindset to survive in a 3x larger competitive society? Or should we go back to the reason being that their eyes aren't as round as the other half of the world's population?

Notes: Did someone really call me/us a "piece of meat"...????

@singularity@ - good thing I didn't put forth my translation of ABC. Thanks!
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You are presumably referring to the Chinese "patent office" and not the Sicherheitspolizei..?

Also "lackey" sounds condescending and could be interpreted as casually racist, FYI.

My experience starts back to the late 90s and extended into our present era. I've had plenty of exposure to the kind of "acceptable cheating" and skullduggery associated with doing business in China and it's not always pretty.

Lackey is NOT racist. Lackey refers to subordinates mostly in terms of workers. I have NEVER heard of lackey being used in a racist way EVER.

• Reply 32 of 35
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I remain stupefied that nearly everyone is blaming Apple totally and giving the lazy developers who downloaded a pirated copy of Xcode a pass. What were they thinking? I thought developers were tech savvy and security conscious.
    I'm stupefied that you give developers so much credit! I've worked closely with developers from many different companies over the past 20 years and found most of them to be about as knowledgeable as the average user when it comes to anything beyond coding in the specific language they use. They don't know much about their operating system or how to use/troubleshoot it, even less about their hardware and almost nothing about industry best practices especially when it comes to topics like security, firewalls, encryption, PKI, certificates, databases, DNS and even basic networking/TCP/IP. Remember that by far, most programmers/developers are low level employees working for a company that also employs software engineers and architects who actually design and conceptualize the project. The actual programmers don't have the cool ideas for the new apps, they are simply assigned a few well-defined functions/modules at a time that need to be coded in order to be pulled together with other components from dozens of other developers to eventually be assembled into the app as envisioned by the architect (or lay person) that had the actual idea. These ground level programmers make up the majority of developers and are notorious for taking shortcuts and, if their work is not reviewed, many of them would produce code that is difficult to maintain, full of hard-coded values and often security holes that make their modules difficult to support/extend and that reduce the overall flexibility of their module and therefore the app itself

Obviously my comments are anecdotal - based on personal experience - but I've probably had more experience in this area than most of the people who would be reading this spread over dozens of different organizations in North America, Asia and Europe... And to those programmers who are offended when reading this post - keep in mind that I've used words like "most" and "many" because I'm fully aware that there are exceptions to every rule and that there are "some" programmers whom are the epitome of genius and creativity, who are simply brilliant and extremely well versed in all things IT - and because you're offended - I'm sure that YOU are one of those exceptions. So instead of thinking my comments apply to you - step back and ask yourself if they might apply to your co-workers!

To wrap up, I'm not at all surprised that many developers have taken this shortcut or that they were completely oblivious to the risk they might be taking by doing so. I haven't seen any articles that described what the download page looked like. I'm doubtful that it was on a Warez site. My guess is that most of the developers were fooled into thinking it was a mirror sanctioned by Apple for their convenience and they probably did not realize they were doing anything wrong. I imagine that they simply typed "download Xcode" into their search engine and selected one of the top results. For all we know, the site hosting it could have been set up to look like an official Apple site.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

well I live in the USA and it is also very corrupt. not going to start a rant, it's just a fact.

USA media loves to cast Russia and China in an incompetent, corrupt light. the masses lap it up.

"oohhh - chinese dog food will kill your dog" - well, guess who imported it? USA dog food companies and retailers...

"oohhh - chinese drywall will kill your family" - well, guess who imported it? USA building suppliers and retailers...

• Reply 34 of 35
    xixo wrote: »
    well I live in the USA and it is also very corrupt. not going to start a rant, it's just a fact.

USA media loves to cast Russia and China in an incompetent, corrupt light. the masses lap it up.

"oohhh - chinese dog food will kill your dog" - well, guess who imported it? USA dog food companies and retailers...

"oohhh - chinese drywall will kill your family" - well, guess who imported it? USA building suppliers and retailers...

If you've not been to China, you really have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Reply 35 of 35

Yes hes obviously white as its only the white that see racism in everything and get easily offended on behalf of others who actually dont see anything wrong