Foxconn may buy Sharp's LCD business, with assistance from Apple

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 43
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post





    Has Apple avoided OLED up to this point because of engineering reasons or supply chain reasons? Samsung is the largest maker of OLED displays that could possibly fulfill Apple's requirements. Samsungs phone division is taking most of that supply. What would keep Foxconn and Apple from retooling the Sharp facility to make OLED to Apple's specs? Perhaps even a higher quality and multifunctional display that keeps the iPhone/iPad a step ahead of the competition. 4K displays on the next iPad Pro? Who knows? Only Apple and maybe Foxconn. There is a reason for everything that Apple does. After they got burned on the sapphire disaster it's a safe bet they are being careful and also letting Foxconn take a lot of the risk here. They also have plenty of overseas cash to back up this deal without taking much of a financial risk. One last thing is that the Japanese economy is a safer place than China right now.



    I think if Apple really wanted them Samsung would be happy to expand capacity.  I doubt Foxconn and Apple can retool the Sharp facility because they probably don't have the patents as Samsung and LG would have most of those.

  • Reply 22 of 43
    Just a matter of time before Foxconn screws Apple and starts making its own competing mobile devices...lol.

    Nokia & Foxconn are reportedly collaborating on a new android handset this Autumn when the Microsoft non compete tie up expires for the mobile division sale.

    The N1 tablet (mini lookalike) was their first licensing partnership together recently: http://www.itworld.com/article/2849223/nokias-n1-android-tablet-is-actually-a-foxconn-tablet.html
  • Reply 23 of 43
    ronnronn Posts: 510member
    Any Taiwanese person will strongly disagree that they are Chinese.

    Many in/from Taiwan identify as Chinese. In my circle, the overwhelming majority refer to themselves as Chinese, including my vehemently anti-communist mother in-law who's part indigenous Taiwanese.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Backlit LCD screens are going the way of the dinosaur. It's precisely the reason Sharp is in trouble along with the rest of the Japanese electronics industry.

    LG and Samsung make the best displays period. Though they are competitors in that they both make Android handsets, Apple would do well to have one of them build the screens for their iDevices. LG and Samsung have made very considerable investments in OLED technology. Foxconn and Sharp will be outclassed and outgunned.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RS9 View Post

     

     Be nice. Samsung's cell phone business is going down the proverbial toilet. Say positive things like. "Samsung makes great dishwashers and washing machines."




    I don't know about their dishwashers, but their washing machines are sub par.  Not that we would have bought a Samsung machine, but sales people at a couple of the big box warned against going with any of the Samsung machines they sell.  Guess they didn't do a great job copying on those :~}

  • Reply 26 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,492member
    Just a matter of time before Foxconn screws Apple and starts making its own competing mobile devices...lol.

    What? Has Eric Schmidt joined their board? ;)
  • Reply 27 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,399member
    Just a matter of time before Foxconn screws Apple and starts making its own competing mobile devices...lol.
    From a little over a year ago...
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/foxconn-aims-to-fashion-its-own-brands-1403907564
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    From a little over a year ago...

    http://www.wsj.com/articles/foxconn-aims-to-fashion-its-own-brands-1403907564



    Apple really should start buying up the commodities that the suppliers rely on for their manufacturing processes. Apple should buy stakes and invest in metals, glass and battery companies.

  • Reply 29 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,285member
    Any Taiwanese person will strongly disagree that they are Chinese.

    No. Because while the island had its own people for quite a while, when Chiang brought many people over after he lost the war with the communists, a large part of the population consists of those who never really felt that they were anything other than Chinese. But everyone on Taiwan came from China over the centuries, as did everyone from Japan, so, in reality, they are all Chinese. And that's why I said "sort of".
  • Reply 30 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,285member
    Agreed. I bought a bunch Liquidmetal at ¢27 per share. It has never got to that level since I bought it (of course).

    I am viewing it as a (very) long-dated call option that may, one day, expire worthless.... :\  

    (Didn't buy any GTAT, though. Phew).

    It's just ten cents now. All that needs to happen is for Apple to do something with it. It's hard to believe it's causing that much of a problem.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    No. Because while the island had its own people for quite a while, when Chiang brought many people over after he lost the war with the communists, a large part of the population consists of those who never really felt that they were anything other than Chinese. But everyone on Taiwan came from China over the centuries, as did everyone from Japan, so, in reality, they are all Chinese. And that's why I said "sort of".

     

    Well, that's like saying we're all French, when talking about Quebecers, because 4-5M of our population came from France not that long ago. Doesn'T say much really; we're very distinct from the French in langage and culture. A bit of a hybrid of French, Native, English and American influences.

  • Reply 32 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,285member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Well, that's like saying we're all French, when talking about Quebecers, because 4-5M of our population came from France not that long ago. Doesn'T say much really; we're very distinct from the French in langage and culture. A bit of a hybrid of French, Native, English and American influences.

    You should go back to ronn's post, as his family comes from there, and argue with him about it. I know a lot of people from the area, and most consider themselves to be Chinese.

    It's a bit like someone identifying themselves as, say, Irish, even though their family came here 75 years ago. Or Italian, though they may be third generation.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post





    Is that just a general rule, then, mr Trump?



    There is some exception of course but it's a general rule. If you have ever dealt with Chinese you will understand.

  • Reply 34 of 43
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post





    Has Apple avoided OLED up to this point because of engineering reasons or supply chain reasons? Samsung is the largest maker of OLED displays that could possibly fulfill Apple's requirements. Samsungs phone division is taking most of that supply. What would keep Foxconn and Apple from retooling the Sharp facility to make OLED to Apple's specs? Perhaps even a higher quality and multifunctional display that keeps the iPhone/iPad a step ahead of the competition. 4K displays on the next iPad Pro? Who knows? Only Apple and maybe Foxconn. There is a reason for everything that Apple does. After they got burned on the sapphire disaster it's a safe bet they are being careful and also letting Foxconn take a lot of the risk here. They also have plenty of overseas cash to back up this deal without taking much of a financial risk. One last thing is that the Japanese economy is a safer place than China right now.



    It's a supply chain reason. There're just not enough supplies for iPhone and iPad yet.

    And LG is a biggest supplier of OLED, isn't it?

  • Reply 35 of 43
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post



    Just a matter of time before Foxconn screws Apple and starts making its own competing mobile devices...lol.



    Don't bet against it. Xiaomi MKII in the making.

  • Reply 36 of 43
    ronnronn Posts: 510member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Well, that's like saying we're all French, when talking about Quebecers, because 4-5M of our population came from France not that long ago. Doesn'T say much really; we're very distinct from the French in langage and culture. A bit of a hybrid of French, Native, English and American influences.

    Totally different circumstances. Many still consider Taiwan the legitimate Chinese government, and still in a war against the communist government which is not legitimate. For them, they are exiles waiting to retake the mainland.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    ronnronn Posts: 510member
    melgross wrote: »
    You should go back to ronn's post, as his family comes from there, and argue with him about it. I know a lot of people from the area, and most consider themselves to be Chinese.

    It's a bit like someone identifying themselves as, say, Irish, even though their family came here 75 years ago. Or Italian, though they may be third generation.

    It would be like the US Civil War ending without either side accepting defeat and claiming either Richmond, VA or Wash, DC as the capital of the entire nation.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    crap.  Thanks for reminding me their name.  I totally forgot their name. they lost me a couple thousand last year


     

    How can we ever forget that?

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post





    When did the scar on your forehead go away from banging your head continuously for days against the wall to get your point across that GTAT was inherently corrupt? image

     

    See? We just can't!

  • Reply 39 of 43
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    matrix07 wrote: »

    It's a supply chain reason. There're just not enough supplies for iPhone and iPad yet.
    And LG is a biggest supplier of OLED, isn't it?

    I have read (Taiwan source, I think) that there wouldn't be enough capacity to supply Apple with OLED displays before 2018, assuming they want to go that direction.
  • Reply 40 of 43

    Samsung doesnt make great anything. They are the Aldi of the electronics world

Sign In or Register to comment.