iPhone trade-in deals: How and where to get the most cash for your old iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    now it's walmart who decided to rip people off. 

iPhone 6
    • 16GB: $375
    • 64GB: $375
    • 128GB: $375
    • Unlocked 16GB: $360
    • Unlocked 64GB: $202.50
    • Unlocked 128GB: $252

iPhone 6 Plus
    • 16GB: $375
    • 64GB: $375
    • 128GB: $400
    • Unlocked 16GB: $202.50
    • Unlocked 64GB: $216
    • Unlocked 128GB: $270

Unlocked phones are the same exact phone as any other iPhone.  there is no penalty in using an unlocked phone on AT&T. they should all fetch the same price.

Walmart isn't "ripping off" anyone. They have their margins and you are free to do business with another company or individual.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    If you live in or near a major metropolitan area in the U.S., you'll get the most money (almost double what these places offer) for the least hassle on Craigslist. It's free. Arrange to meet buyer at your credit union or bank for security and to have cash checked for counterfeit. Been doing this every iPhone cycle for years.
  • Reply 23 of 41

>iPhone 6 Unlocked 64GB: $462.75

Way better than Gazelle, I' trading it in with them.

Thanks for this guide!

• Reply 24 of 41
    so i would like to remind people with T-Mobile and Sprint and AT&T  Iphone 6 series phones , they should look into carrier unlocking before selling them. if you unlock an iPhone 6, even a sprint one, it can now be sold as an AT&T or Verizon iPhone. and if sites like Gazelle and Next Worth say your iPhone is still worth 260 because it is still a sprint model. you tell them to get bent and you want your money back.

tech stuff
    the iPhone 6 series phones are technically the same phone, and once unlocked does not care whose carrier it belongs to.
    there is a Sprint model, which works on Sprint , T-Mobile , Verizon and AT&T , and there is a T-mobile model that works on T-mobile, Verizon and AT&T.  Verizon as of two weeks ago allows the "T-mobile" phone on their network

regardless what iPhone 6 you bought , they had GSM and CDMA radios turned on. 

once these phones are unlocked they are identical , and because of this, the companies that buy your phones should have all the prices the same regardless of what the former carrier was.

so if i have a AT&T iPhone 6, and went thru the carrier to have it unlocked (which I did), it's now 100% unlocked and can be used on any network -- regardless of GSM vs CDMA concerns?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Walmart isn't "ripping off" anyone. They have their margins and you are free to do business with another company or individual.

that doesnt make something not a ripoff, Mrs. Rand.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Yes. If you have a. AT&T iPhone 6 and you unlock it, it is now a Verizon iPhone 6

The iPhone 6 and 6 plus were shipped with working GSM and cdma radios.

When the iPhone 6 first came out, it would work on Verizon if you used a SIM card from another phone.
    About 3 weeks ago, Verizon changed their mind and are now activating any unlocked iPhone 6.
    Besides the iPhones 6 they are also activating nexus 6 phones

Walmart is the worst. They are ripping people off $100 because they think there is some difference between AT&T Verizon and unlocked phones.

I got the same response from " is it worth more " they think there is some difference between an AT&T unlocked iPhone 6 and a Verizon iPhone 6 and an unlocked phone. They think the unlocked iPhone 6 is an iPhone 5s or. 5 and there is some penalty. When none exists.

The only fine print is sprint.. They will only activate the one with. 4 extra spark channels. And that model can also be used on Verizon T-Mobile or AT&T , once unlocked

Once You remove carrier locks, there is only 2 iPhones 6 phones
    One is T-Mobile AT&T and Verizon
    The other is T-Mobile AT&T Verizon and sprint

The 6s has changed. So trade ins will be different
    One has AT&T and Tmo once unlocked. it does not have cdma.
    The other is T-Mobile sprint and Verizon , with AT&T being Compatibe as long as you don't need channel 30
    That one is cdma and GSM
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rigorkrad View Post

Yes. If you have a. AT&T iPhone 6 and you unlock it, it is now a Verizon iPhone 6

The iPhone 6 and 6 plus were shipped with working GSM and cdma radios.

When the iPhone 6 first came out, it would work on Verizon if you used a SIM card from another phone.

About 3 weeks ago, Verizon changed their mind and are now activating any unlocked iPhone 6.

Besides the iPhones 6 they are also activating nexus 6 phones

Walmart is the worst. They are ripping people off $100 because they think there is some difference between AT&T Verizon and unlocked phones.

I got the same response from " is it worth more " they think there is some difference between an AT&T unlocked iPhone 6 and a Verizon iPhone 6 and an unlocked phone. They think the unlocked iPhone 6 is an iPhone 5s or. 5 and there is some penalty. When none exists.

The only fine print is sprint.. They will only activate the one with. 4 extra spark channels. And that model can also be used on Verizon T-Mobile or AT&T , once unlocked

Once You remove carrier locks, there is only 2 iPhones 6 phones

One is T-Mobile AT&T and Verizon

The other is T-Mobile AT&T Verizon and sprint

The 6s has changed. So trade ins will be different

One AT&T and Tmo once h locked it does not have cdma.

Th other is T-Mobile sprint and Verizon , with AT&T being Compatibo as long as you don't need channel 30

That one is cdma and GSM

Why are there two brand new members here, named "rigormotis" and "rigorkrad" which very similar looking comments? Trolls...or rather, one troll.

• Reply 28 of 41

Why are there two brand new members here, named "rigormotis" and "rigorkrad" which very similar looking comments? Trolls...or rather, one troll.

that doesnt make him a "troll". perhaps violating policy, but not a troll.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

that doesnt make him a "troll". perhaps violating policy, but not a troll.

If you are creating multiple sock-puppet accounts, you're a troll.

• Reply 30 of 41
    I forgot my user name and password and made a new one I guess without noticing,l

I don't mean to troll.

I just don't like companies taking $125 off your already low trade in because they say there is something different when Apple and Verizon says there is not.

I'll reset the password and ask the site to delete the other account.

If some apple blog reports this Verizon vs unlocked vs AT&T issue , my job is done and I'll stop talking about it

Nola Mac guy asked me a question, I replied to it, forgetting that I had two Apple insider passwords.

I suppose you are mad that I have a pacbell.net and a me.com email and I have separate iTunes and iCloud accounts too

I think you are a troll. I think you work for gazelle or next worth and you don't want me ruining your scam
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rigorkrad View Post

I forgot my user name and password and made a new one I guess without noticing,l

I don't mean to troll.

I just don't like companies taking $125 off your already low trade in because they say there is something different when Apple and Verizon says there is not.

I'll reset the password and ask the site to delete the other account.

If some apple blog reports this Verizon vs unlocked vs AT&T issue , my job is done and I'll stop talking about it

Nola Mac guy asked me a question, I replied to it, forgetting that I had two Apple insider passwords.

I suppose you are mad that I have a pacbell.net and a me.com email and I have separate iTunes and iCloud accounts too

I think you are a troll. I think you work for gazelle or next worth and you don't want me ruining your scam

Sure, I'm the troll after having been here since 2011 with 22,300+ posts. :rolleyes: Kid, stop now.

• Reply 32 of 41

Stay away for Cash for iPhones. Those guys are criminals. Literally committing fraud. They quoted up to $325 for an immaculate iPhone 5s a year ago. They they put $25 into my PayPal account. I called them on it and they said if I didn't reply to their email offer, then the sale was processed as is. I told them to send it back and they said too late, already processed. Motherf_______s. 

It's a common ripoff tactic with Cash for iPhones. They never send the email offer. They scammed you out of your goods and you end up with next to nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/CashforiphonesSteals?fref=ts

• Reply 33 of 41
    nomadmac wrote: »
    Stay away for Cash for iPhones. Those guys are criminals. Literally committing fraud. They quoted up to $325 for an immaculate iPhone 5s a year ago. They they put $25 into my PayPal account. I called them on it and they said if I didn't reply to their email offer, then the sale was processed as is. I told them to send it back and they said too late, already processed. Motherf_______s. 

It's a common ripoff tactic with Cash for iPhones. They never send the email offer. They scammed you out of your goods and you end up with next to nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/CashforiphonesSteals?fref=ts

Repeating for the sake of helping make this more well known.
  • Reply 34 of 41

Sure, I'm the troll after having been here since 2011 with 22,300+ posts. :rolleyes:  Kid, stop now.

22k posts. Maybe 'troll' is a new slang term for a Tremendous ROLL.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I stopped by a Verizon store last week and was told that they will be paying $200 for iPhone 5 or 5C, and $300 for iPhone 5S.  He said you would get a promo code when you pre-ordered the 6S and that you would bring in your old phone to the store and give them the promo code and they will credit your account.

When I pre-ordered my wife's iPhone 6S from the Verizon site it said that I would get emailed a promotion code when I activate the new phone.  My confirmation email said something similar in it, no mention of how much they will pay for what phones from either though.

I have to say trading in the phone at the store is much easier than mailing them in and waiting forever to hear anything back like I had to last year.  So that part of this new deal seems great.  I just don't understand why Verizon seems to be so secretive about it this year.  Last year they advertised the deal all over the place.

Just as an update, I did get the email from Verizon last Wednesday, and the rep I talked to at the store earlier was correct.  Verizon offered 

$100 any non-iPhone smartphone

$100 for iPhone 4 or 4S

$200 for iPhone 5 or 5C

$300 for iPhone 5S

$350 for iPhone 6

$400 for iPhone 6+

I went to my local store on Saturday and traded in my old iPhone 5, got a $200 gift card on the spot and used it to buy a case and tempered glass screen protector for my Wife's new 6S, and put the rest toward next month's bill.  Super easy and I recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to try to deal with eBay or Craigslist.

• Reply 36 of 41
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Gee, that's funny. I looked up tradein value on my iPhone 4 last night, the first google hit was Gazelle, and the value they offered was $5.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Gee, that's funny. I looked up tradein value on my iPhone 4 last night, the first google hit was Gazelle, and the value they offered was $5.

A carrier like Verizon isn't buying phones.  They're offering you an incentive to buy a new model from them, along with a new/renewed contract.  If you don't renew with them, they don't pay anything.

If VZW only offered $5, you may easily decide to keep using your existing phone, or you may decide to buy your new 6s from another carrier.  The $100 is designed to sweeten the deal enough that you decide to upgrade with them, and do it immediately.

Gazelle has no reason to offer any incentive, because they're not going to be making a profit from your new phone or your new contract.

• Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shamino View Post

A carrier like Verizon isn't buying phones.  They're offering you an incentive to buy a new model from them, along with a new/renewed contract.  If you don't renew with them, they don't pay anything.

If VZW only offered $5, you may easily decide to keep using your existing phone, or you may decide to buy your new 6s from another carrier.  The $100 is designed to sweeten the deal enough that you decide to upgrade with them, and do it immediately.

Gazelle has no reason to offer any incentive, because they're not going to be making a profit from your new phone or your new contract.

This is not entirely true.

You do have to buy a new iPhone from Verizon to get the higher trade in deal, but you do not have to sign a contract.  I paid full retail price for my wife's 6S and I am still on month-to-month with no contract.  You can also do the Edge, or whatever they are calling it deal.

After you purchase the iPhone from Verizon you will get an email with the offer description and a code to give to the person at the store.  The person at the store looks up your trade-in value and then enters that code and the trade-in value changes to whatever it should be with the code.  For example I believe my iPhone 5 was only worth $108 or something like that when they first look it up, but after entering the code it goes up to the full $200.  

• Reply 39 of 41
    THESE PHONE COMPANIES ARE A TOTAL RIPOFF!! DO NOT TRADE IN YOUR PHONE!! THEY WILL GIVE YOU CRAP FOR IT!! SELL IT ON EBAY AND BUY YOUR PHONE ON EBAY YOU WILL GET A MUCH BETTER PRICE!! I GOT SCREWED WITH TMOBILE AND THEY TRIED TO KEEP 300 FROM ME BUT I COMPLAINED TO FTC AND BBB AND THEY GAVE ME 500 TO KEEP QUITE!!
  • Reply 40 of 41
    shamino said:

I wonder if carriers will offer trade-in incentive deals this time around.

When I bought my 6+ last year, Verizon paid me $200 (equal to the with-contract price I originally paid to buy the phone) to trade-in my 4S.  This was far more than the phone was actually worth and was clearly an incentive to upgrade immediately (since the offer was only good for 30 days.)  It effectively lowered the (with-contract) price of my new 6+ from $300 to $100.  It worked.  My wife and I both upgraded because of the deal.  I suspect it worked for a lot of other people as well.

If you're interested in getting a 6S or 6S+, I suggest that it would be a good idea to be on the lookout for similar offers this time around as well.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/188163Right before the iPhone 6s came out I locked my iPhone 6 with CellCashier for $420. Back then Gazelle's quote was $265 for exactly the same Verizon iPhone 6 64GB and Verizon store offered me $385. It really pays to shop around.