Aaron Sorkin tears into Tim Cook over 'opportunistic' comments

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    Dude Walmart destroyed tons of local businesses with their supply chain mastery by building community-killing megastores that sell cheap as they can. They did the same thing with Mexico, bribing their way in and creating hundreds of giganto-stores. I don't see Apple as doing remotely the same thing as Walmart.

More to the point, Apple is creating value, as millions of people seem to be buying their phones and using them every day. Sorkin's film is piggybacked on the hard work & genius of Tim Cook's good and departed friend. Which Sorkin expects Cook to watch before making a comment? I'm so sure. Sorkin may not be a total parasite, but you know, parasites are fascinating the way they work their way in to their host's biology and co-exist while sucking their blood. In this case even after death.
  • Reply 42 of 128
    mistergsf wrote: »

You don't think that our government is included in that exploitation? Let's ALL show our patriotism then and toss out all our smart phones and electronics we use daily.  You start first.

Of course our government is involved. These huge companies use the extra billions in profits, stashing them overseas, and not paying taxes to buy our politicians.

If it wasn't worth it to them to do it they woundn't be.
    And thanks to Citizen's United it's much worse, unlimited, anonymous, and totally legal.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

There are literally hundreds of people that worked on this film. You're going to let one guy who has absolutely no ill affect on you get to you that much? These are millionaires exchanging words. Both of them are opportunistic.

+1  Best comment so far.  I will wait for some real reviews to come out, then make my choice.  I will almost certainly see it on cable after it is on the premium channels.

• Reply 44 of 128
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Are we done circling the wagons yet...?

No, probably not.

But, at least to me, it would seem both sides are utilizing the "Cult of Personality"

aspect of Jobs' life for their own purposes.  And bombastic comments are a dime a dozen

in the public arena, and sometimes, in this forum.

I certainly agree that the "child labor" comment was despicable and insupportable, 

and that Mr, Cook's 'advocacy' is mostly driven by genuine friendship...

But, heck, while 'the folks' are fighting, I think I'll go see the movie, and, you know, make up my own mind.

• Reply 45 of 128
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Um, this guy just wants attention. Apple is not making millions on Steve Job's story or death. And if they did, they would have much more right than this random guy that had nothing to do with Apple. So yeah, it is opportunistic.
  • Reply 46 of 128
    frankie wrote: »
    Regardless of either of their comments there's no denying that Apple and other huge comapnies have exploited cheap labor overseas to make hundreds of billions in profits while screwing over the American workforce.

There's zero patriotism in that.
    Oh please, give it a fk'n rest. What BS. Apple could not possibly do what they do here in the US. There is no way in hell to ramp up going from 0 to millions of units a week in the US manufacturing and labor environment. That process includes adding hundreds of thousands of employees, as well as thousands of engineers and skilled trades, almost overnight. The scale and flexibility far surpasses our ability. As to cheap labor, those workers are now making more per month on average than recent college graduates in China due to rapid increases in wages over the last few years. Lastly, so those people don't deserve jobs? If I were you I'd be more concerned about the robber baron bankers that have their hands in your pockets every time you make a transaction, and oh by the way, created an international financial crisis hurting us all.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

By controlling the Apple corporate image, Cook stands to personally earn more than the total revenue from all of Sorkin's films combined. Who's the opportunist then? Whatever you think, Cook is certainly not an impartial bystander.

• Reply 48 of 128

I'd guess everybody involved had to take a pay cut when investors heard this film that was expected to star Christian Bale was instead going to star Michael Fassbender. They're both fine actors but Bale was more bankable at the time.

• Reply 49 of 128
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Sorkin hasn't seen the factories and Cook hasn't seen the film. I guess they're even in that regard. Cook still makes way more $$

• Reply 50 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Sorkin hasn't seen the factories and Cook hasn't seen the film. I guess they're even in that regard. Cook still makes way more $$

At least we know Apple makes good products. 

• Reply 51 of 128
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Nobody made this film to get rich!" - Aaron Sorkin

Sorkin was paid two million to draft this film plus will receive three million in deferred.

Non-opportunist, my ass.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see the Woz soaking up some spare change off this movie...

• Reply 52 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see the Woz soaking up some spare change off this movie...

Disappointing, isn't it?

• Reply 53 of 128
    Sorkin needs to realize the CONTEXT in which Tim made his comments. Jobs is essentially family to Cook, and still is. They had a close, working relationship for many years, and what can be easily assumed as a friendship for nearly all that time. Not to mention that he witnessed the slow physical deterioration of his good friend and colleague, while at the same time witnessing his tenacity and dedication to his vision.

What has Cook had to come to terms with since Jobs' death? A litany of very "opportunistic" criticisms - some pretty vicious; a near endless stream of attempted exposés (most of which are wild assumptions) about Jobs, some of which amount to character assassination.

Sorkin might be within reason to think Cook's comments unfair, but it's a shame that he lacks the sensitivity and sensibility to recognize from where they might originate.

And really, Sorkin's comments were way, way out of line.

Hollywood might be entertaining. But it usually isn't very smart.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    “[I]f you’ve got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour, you’ve got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic.” -- Aaron Sorkin
  • Reply 55 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafantaris View Post

f you’ve got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour, you’ve got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic.” -- Aaron Sorkin

"Screw you, Aaron."  —The Memory of Steve Jobs

• Reply 56 of 128
    Sorkin is being a bit over-sensitive.

Cook's actual quote was, 'I think that a lot of people are trying to be opportunistic and I hate that, it's not a great part of our world.'

Cook didn't get into specifics. He didn't call out any particular writer or movie or book.

When Sorkin hears this he assumes that the comment is all about HIM and HIS work, so he throws a little narcissistic temper tantrum which is all-too-common for the Hollywood types. It's SO common in fact that no one in the entertainment press calls him on it. They live in that same world.

Meanwhile the rest of us slightly recoil and think "Uh…. Aaron…...? No one mentioned you. Calm down, ok? It's not all about YOU."

Methinks thou dost protest too much.
  • Reply 57 of 128
    [I]"Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin slammed Tim Cook in a recent interview for comments the Apple CEO made regarding authors, filmmakers and documentarians focusing on the life and times of Steve Jobs."[/I]

Oh Goody! A pissing contest between millionaires. Just what we need! I suggest we all just stand back...
  • Reply 58 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Why hasn't he seen the factories? Everybody else has.

If he's that ignorant of the 'actual' reality in overseas factories, maybe he should keep his mouth shut.

As for cook, please show me where he was talking about Sorkin's movie.

• Reply 59 of 128
    frankie wrote: »
    mistergsf wrote: »

You don't think that our government is included in that exploitation? Let's ALL show our patriotism then and toss out all our smart phones and electronics we use daily.  You start first.

Of course our government is involved. These huge companies use the extra billions in profits, stashing them overseas, and not paying taxes to buy our politicians.

You have your facts giving your brain a wedgie and not getting the oxygen it needs.
    First, No one is stashing profits abroad - as if you think it's being moved there. The profits are being kept where they were earned and where local taxes were paid.
    Next, Apple, like most big businesses, don't want to pay double taxes to bring that money ashore.
    Finally, While Apple and other big corporations would like to bring that money home (and invest it here), the same politicians you believe they are "buying" won't make it possible to do so...

Q.E.D. Stupid is as stupid does.
  • Reply 60 of 128
    bobschlob wrote: »
    cpsro wrote: »

Why hasn't he seen the factories? Everybody else has.
    If he's that ignorant of the 'actual' reality in overseas factories, maybe he should keep his mouth shut.
    As for cook, please show me where he was talking about Sorkin's movie.

The question Colbert asked was about the movies in general and Cook answered it in general.

Sorkin took it personally, and got butthurt because of his own ego got in the way... He's also an idiot if he still thinks iPhones are/were made by children in dim-lit hovels. That's so last-decade!