Aaron Sorkin tears into Tim Cook over 'opportunistic' comments

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Nobody did this movie to get rich," Sorkin said. "Secondly, Tim Cook should really see the movie before he decides what it is."

Sorkin reserved his most piercing barb for last, "Third, if you've got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour you've got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic."

Don't defend your movie, Sorkin. Attack Tim Cook some more. Stay classy, Sorkin.

His rant doesn't answer the question of WHY they did this movie. If not for "getting rich" then what? Did they do it "for Steve"? For his family? For a charity? For art? Are the filmmakers donating the profits from this movie to help Chinese factory slaves?

• Reply 82 of 128
    Hmmm. Pot calling kettle black. On both sides.
  • Reply 83 of 128
    Here's the full quote in context. Colbert asked Apple CEO Tim Cook for his thoughts on the recent spate of Steve Jobs movies and documentaries. Cook's response:

"I haven’t seen them. But the Steve I knew was an amazing human being. He’s someone who you wanted to do your best work [for]. He invented things that I think other people could not, he saw things that other people could not. He had this uncanny ability to see around the corner, and to describe a future—not an evolutionary future, but a revolutionary future. He was a joy to work with and I love him dearly. I miss him everyday. I think a lot of people are trying to be opportunistic, and I hate this. It’s not a great part of our world."
  • Reply 84 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Definitely not seeing this movie now (wasn't planning on seeing it anyway).

Why? First,the film's had universally great reviews. Second, Sorkin is absolutely right. Cook was talking out of his ass to criticize a movie he (and most people) have't even seen yet, and calling its makers opportunistic is both insulting and hypocritical.

• Reply 85 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Your investors expect to make money off of this film, Sorkin. With a purported $30 million budget you're damn right people are expecting to capitalize on it and expect you to do the most as a writer/creator with this opportunity, you opportunist.

That's beside the point. The screenwriter, director, and key actors all reportedly worked for less than their usual pay to get the film made. Remember that they went through a couple of directors and several lead actors before finalizing the cast. Also, what's wrong with making money on a film? Since when is Apple a non-profit?

• Reply 86 of 128
    Quote:

On the other hand, I don't agree that child labor should be automatically a disqualifier for Chinese companies. So long as they can prove that the kids are not being forced to work there, factory work is the only means to a fast way out of crushing poverty for much of the Chinese population. 

Wow, you are really on the fringes of right-wing ideology, aren't you?

• Reply 87 of 128
    It's hilarious watching all you apple fanboys go nuts defending Apple and Cook
  • Reply 88 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Nobody made this film to get rich!" - Aaron Sorkin

Sorkin was paid two million to draft this film plus will receive three million in deferred.

Non-opportunist, my ass.

And Tim Cook makes over $9 million a year in salary, and has around a half billion dollars in Apple stock options.

• Reply 89 of 128
    Quote:

We'll see. I seem to recall the iBookstore not selling a book that was unflattering to Jobs.

As you can see, Tim Cook apparently has no qualms about prominently featuring the books and films he's criticized on Apple's book and movie stores... Who's being opportunistic?

iBooks

iTunes Movies

• Reply 90 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Dear Mr. Sorkin.

You make cartoons. 

Aaron Sorkin Awards

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0815070/awards

2011 Won

Oscar
    Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay

The Social Network  (2010) 

2011 Won

Golden Globe
    Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

2003 Won

Primetime Emmy
    Outstanding Drama Series

The West Wing  (1999) 

2002 Won

Primetime Emmy
    Outstanding Drama Series

The West Wing  (1999) 

Outstanding Special Class Program

The West Wing Documentary Special  (2002) 

2001 Won

Primetime Emmy
    Outstanding Drama Series

The West Wing  (1999) 

2000 Won

Primetime Emmy
    Outstanding Drama Series

The West Wing  (1999) 

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series

The West Wing  (1999) 

2011 Won

BAFTA Film Award
    Best Screenplay (Adapted)

2011 Won

EDA Award

Moneyball  (2011) 

2010 Won

EDA Award

2013 Nominated

WGA Award (TV)
    New Series

The Newsroom  (2012) 

• Reply 91 of 128
    The fact that Sorkin is using the most valid source materiel, Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography, and has top level talent willing to work with him, would suggest that his movie is an even handed view of Steve Jobs.

As mentioned by other people here, Apple does make enough profit and is regularly mentioned in labor issues in China... so no smoke without fire. And $79 for a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter is certainly opportunistic on Apples part! So Tim Cook should not judge without first viewing the evidence first hand.
  • Reply 92 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    freediverx wrote: »

The book was iCon and it was removed from the Apple Store as someone already chimed in on that. But thanks for being all righteous without the correct facts.

I can see how "the Bank Job" fits in. I never knew Steve robbed s bank.

Of course if Apple did remove all Jobs books, you'd be accusing them of censorship.
    applecored wrote: »
    As mentioned by other people here, Apple does make enough profit and is regularly mentioned in labor issues in China... so no smoke without fire. And $79 for a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter is certainly opportunistic on Apples part! So Tim Cook should not judge without first viewing the evidence first hand.

Please. Apple has supplier reports that show otherwise. It's practical the only company that works to improve workers conditions/pay in China. It's also one of the few companies that audit its supply chain in China. So Sorkin was spreading lies he can't prove and have been disproven.

As for the adapter, I wasn't aware it was based on a once living person.
  • Reply 93 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Of course if Apple did remove all Jobs books, you'd be accusing them of censorship.

I'm not criticizing Apple for selling these popular books and films. I am illustrating the fact that they are prominently featuring books and films about Jobs that Cook has criticized and accused of being opportunistic. Bit of hypocrisy, don't you think?

And yes, I would accuse them of censorship if they removed them. The day that Apple starts blocking popular books and films they disagree with is the day I close my iTunes account.

If Cook reads a book or watches a film about Jobs that he feels is inaccurate, then he should by all means call them out on the fact and cite specific details and offer corrections. But it's a different story when he lashes out against a film he hasn't even seen yet, and then labels its producers as "opportunistic" when said film will no doubt be featured in iTunes eventually.

• Reply 94 of 128
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    That's OK. Millions of people will. I will see it as well.

I'll catch it on Red Box. It has to be a Lord of the Rings caliber movie for me to pay box office prices. It is too bad it was based on Walter isaacsons horrible book.
  • Reply 95 of 128
    frankie wrote: »
    Regardless of either of their comments there's no denying that Apple and other huge comapnies have exploited cheap labor overseas to make hundreds of billions in profits while screwing over the American workforce.

There's zero patriotism in that.

cook and others have sad the reason they assemble in Asia is because that's where the components are.
  • Reply 96 of 128
    boredumb wrote: »
    But, heck, while 'the folks' are fighting, I think I'll go see the movie, and, you know, make up my own mind.

it's not a question of how good a movie it is. if you pay money for it, you've already sided with the opportunists, regardless of whether you enjoyed the entertainment.
  • Reply 97 of 128
    cpsro wrote: »
    By controlling the Apple corporate image, Cook stands to personally earn more than the total revenue from all of Sorkin's films combined.

which has nothing to do with being an opportunist regarding a dead man.
  • Reply 98 of 128

Why? First,the film's had universally great reviews. Second, Sorkin is absolutely right. Cook was talking out of his ass to criticize a movie he (and most people) have't even seen yet, and calling its makers opportunistic is both insulting and hypocritical.

First, Cook did not criticize Sorkin's movie. He was asked a general question about all the Jobs movies coming out. He said a lot of people are being opportunistic without singling out Sorkin's movie. He didn't attack the quality of the movie, but is defending the reputation of his friend who now longer can defend himself. It is no secret of Cook's dislike for the book the movie is based on. Perhaps Cook was being insulting in a generalized way, but hardly hypocritical. I haven't seen cook make a movie about Jobs or anybody else for that matter. That is what it would take for him to be hypocritical.

Second, there's nothing wrong with Sorkin defending his movie, but making false allegations about Apple's manufacturing practices is not only insulting, but is a false.
  • Reply 99 of 128
    And Tim Cook makes over $9 million a year in salary, and has around a half billion dollars in Apple stock options.

and? his income doesn't have any good to do with whether or not it's opportunistic to make a film about a dead guy's reputation.
  • Reply 100 of 128
    If Cook reads a book or watches a film about Jobs that he feels is inaccurate, then he should by all means call them out on the fact and cite specific details and offer corrections. But it's a different story when he lashes out against a film he hasn't even seen yet, and then labels its producers as "opportunistic" when said film will no doubt be featured in iTunes eventually.

Read Cook's quote he was asked about all the Jobs movies coming out, not Sorkin's movie specifically. The Sorkin movie is based on Walter Isaacsons book, which it is no secret most Apple personal have spoke negatively about, including Cook, after reading it.