Sorkin apologizes for remarks about Apple's Tim Cook, says both parties went too far

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 147
    Don't know why he apologized, he was spot on.

    ...said a troll not concerned with truth.
  • Reply 22 of 147
    genovelle wrote: »
    What I find interesting is that Apple had seemed ok with his film. I think Cook was speaking about the others that came out of the woodwork and beat this on to market.

    I think even more than that Tim Cook was simply speaking the truth.

    Someone he cares about died and people who didn't even know him have used his death as an opportunity to rush about making all sorts of films and books - capitalising on the hope that name dropping will get investors and viewers.

    It is opportunistic.

    the comment has nothing to do with how much this clown made from it or if the films are good.

    I think any decent human would feel the same about seeing this kind of carry on about one of their dearest friends
  • Reply 23 of 147
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,344member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    'Spot on' about what? Did you forget the '/sarcasm' tag or are you mindlessly trolling?



    These types never respond. The drop their pants, squeeze their turd out on the floor, admire it a second, and then move on. You’ll never hear from this poster again until he has another turd to dispose of.

  • Reply 24 of 147

    Im an apple fan and just because he said something that had some assumptions facts does not mean that im going to boycott a artful movie about steve jobs. Critics are loving it and apparently fasbender did fantastic for the role.

    That being said, apple has been publicly called out for low wage child labor and only after being called out and receiving bad press did apple change its policies, create policies and enforce policies. There are still questionable labor practices, and it is still VERY opportunistic to employe chinese to build apple products instead of manufacturing in america, because the wages per hour are so low there. And most of them are still in poverty/ live much lesser lives than low wage workers in the usa. We have labor and wage laws to protect humans rights to life happiness and prosperity. Apple wants to avoid those human rights and be opportunistic by cutting labor costs knowing it affects people in the same economic ways.

    Apple also continues to do very little about memory capacity, ram, processor speeds until this very fall. Yet apple charges 700-1000% of the devices actual costs. That is why apple is sitting on over 150 billion in cash. Because its leaders are opportunistic.

    Apple charges 30% of music, videos, movies, books, and app downloads. Apple rakes in billions for work it did not do. The cost of running and maintaining the app store would be roughly around 1.5-2.5% of app revenues. But apple takes from other peoples work anyways because they simply can. Because apple is opportunistic.

    Apple raised its pricing for insurance on its devices. Even though prices per part were already broken down plus average labor costs to replace a iphone part, and applecare plus the fix fee are generally 600% more than it actually costs apple for the part and labor. Therefore apple is raising insurance on applecare out of opportunism.

    Doing good business is great. Profiting is great. But taking from people just because you can, because you developed an ecosystem that surrounds peoples lives is just greedy opportunism.

    You post is full of the usual, pathetic litany of whines about Apple, many of which are outright lies or exaggerations. These have been repeatedly pointed out, addressed, debated, clarified, and processed in these forums, ad nauseam. I'd consider it a waste of time to get into an argument with you.

    As to Apple's profits, heck, that is what successful, profit-making companies in democratic capitalist societies do. Since I assume no one's holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy Apple's products, all I can assume is that you lack self-control in your consumption habits or are not a very smart consumer or like to live beyond your means or have a laughable sense of entitlement about what you think the world owes you -- more likely, all of the above.

    That's your problem, not Apple's.
  • Reply 25 of 147
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,344member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post



    Steve was a great man who little men think they can understand and encapsulate in less then 2 hours.



    I’ve been watching the three hour documentary about Walt Disney on PBS. The parallels are uncanny. Like Jobs, Disney was driven, tenacious, demanding, uncompromising, sometimes a tyrant who drove his people to produce perfection, a true visionary genius. Like Jobs, Disney’s critics were small minded little men and naysayers who were always nipping at his heels.

     

    This has always been the plight of great men and women. Little minds are obstacles to be overcome.

  • Reply 26 of 147
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,577moderator
    Im an apple fan and just because he said something that had some assumptions facts does not mean that im going to boycott a artful movie about steve jobs. Critics are loving it and apparently fasbender did fantastic for the role.

    That being said, apple has been publicly called out for low wage child labor and only after being called out and receiving bad press did apple change its policies, create policies and enforce policies. There are still questionable labor practices, and it is still VERY opportunistic to employe chinese to build apple products instead of manufacturing in america, because the wages per hour are so low there. And most of them are still in poverty/ live much lesser lives than low wage workers in the usa. We have labor and wage laws to protect humans rights to life happiness and prosperity. Apple wants to avoid those human rights and be opportunistic by cutting labor costs knowing it affects people in the same economic ways.

    Apple also continues to do very little about memory capacity, ram, processor speeds until this very fall. Yet apple charges 700-1000% of the devices actual costs. That is why apple is sitting on over 150 billion in cash. Because its leaders are opportunistic.

    Apple charges 30% of music, videos, movies, books, and app downloads. Apple rakes in billions for work it did not do. The cost of running and maintaining the app store would be roughly around 1.5-2.5% of app revenues. But apple takes from other peoples work anyways because they simply can. Because apple is opportunistic.

    Apple raised its pricing for insurance on its devices. Even though prices per part were already broken down plus average labor costs to replace a iphone part, and applecare plus the fix fee are generally 600% more than it actually costs apple for the part and labor. Therefore apple is raising insurance on applecare out of opportunism.

    Doing good business is great. Profiting is great. But taking from people just because you can, because you developed an ecosystem that surrounds peoples lives is just greedy opportunism.

    History will show that Apple has done more for the advancement of China labor reform than any other entity. Any student of history, which you are certainly not, understands the process that an economy goes through from pre-industrial to industrial to post-industrial. Apple is leading China in its industrial phase, raising the standard of living for the millions of workers involved in the assembly of its products and throughout its entire massive supply chain. Do you imagine a manufacturer of any other product in China, out off the spotlight that Apple and a few other forward thinking companies have placed upon themselves with their human rights reporting and monitoring, provides anywhere near the pay, the workplace safety, worker education, and opportunity as Apple?

    Do you realize that the suicide rate among workers assembling Apple products is far lower than that of American white collar office workers, just in case you are thinking of bringing that up?

    Do you have any clue about global trade and industry? Do you suppose Saudi Arabia should grow all its own food rather than importing food from America? Do you realize that by buying food from America, Saudi Arabia and other desert countries could be seen by people with your mindset as exploiting AMerican and Mexican laborers, since it would be far more expensive to grow the same food in Saudi Arabia. Therefore, by your thinking, American farmer workers should earn far more to reflect the enormous cost of growing food in the Saudi Arabian desert. And America shouldn't import oil from the Middle East either, according to your thinking. Nope, nobody should buy products or services from any region where those products or services can be had for less than in the importer's own country. That seems to be your thinking.

    The only reason Apple has been called out on these child labor issues is NOT because those issues occur ONLY in the manufacture of Apple products, but because attacking the largest and most successful company on earth makes for far better news headlines than talking about any of the thousands of factories in China where virtually every product on American store shelves is manufactured, in conditions far worse and with not a care about worker health, safety, pay, or happiness by the factory management. In a world where the pressure of competition swayed a large and apparently healthy company like Volkswagen to cheat on emissions tests, do you suppose the management of factories across China are immune to those same competitive pressures, while operating on even thinner margins? No.

    Hey, but thanks for playing.
  • Reply 27 of 147
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post





    Im an apple fan and just because he said something that had some assumptions facts does not mean that im going to boycott a artful movie about steve jobs. Critics are loving it and apparently fasbender did fantastic for the role.



    That being said, apple has been publicly called out for low wage child labor and only after being called out and receiving bad press did apple change its policies, create policies and enforce policies. There are still questionable labor practices, and it is still VERY opportunistic to employe chinese to build apple products instead of manufacturing in america, because the wages per hour are so low there. And most of them are still in poverty/ live much lesser lives than low wage workers in the usa. We have labor and wage laws to protect humans rights to life happiness and prosperity. Apple wants to avoid those human rights and be opportunistic by cutting labor costs knowing it affects people in the same economic ways.



    Apple also continues to do very little about memory capacity, ram, processor speeds until this very fall. Yet apple charges 700-1000% of the devices actual costs. That is why apple is sitting on over 150 billion in cash. Because its leaders are opportunistic.



    Apple charges 30% of music, videos, movies, books, and app downloads. Apple rakes in billions for work it did not do. The cost of running and maintaining the app store would be roughly around 1.5-2.5% of app revenues. But apple takes from other peoples work anyways because they simply can. Because apple is opportunistic.



    Apple raised its pricing for insurance on its devices. Even though prices per part were already broken down plus average labor costs to replace a iphone part, and applecare plus the fix fee are generally 600% more than it actually costs apple for the part and labor. Therefore apple is raising insurance on applecare out of opportunism.



    Doing good business is great. Profiting is great. But taking from people just because you can, because you developed an ecosystem that surrounds peoples lives is just greedy opportunism.



    With the ignorant, uninformed diatribe you just unleashed how could you possibly be a fan of the company? More than that how could you possibly choose to buy and own the company’s products. You are either A) suffering a severe case of cognitive dissonance or B) a troll.

  • Reply 28 of 147
    "I think even more than that Tim Cook was simply speaking the truth. Someone he cares about died and people who didn't even know him have used his death as an opportunity to rush about making all sorts of films and books - capitalising on the hope that name dropping will get investors and viewers.

    It is opportunistic.

    the comment has nothing to do with how much this clown made from it or if the films are good.

    I think any decent human would feel the same about seeing this kind of carry on about one of their dearest friends"

    *******
    Best response yet. This is the correct view. I couldn't agree more and every word is spot on.

    NY Times even came out and admitted none of the things they said was happening at Foxcomm was true so bringing that up is quite interesting since a fellow writer lied even admitted it then he being a writer regerutates it out like its truth again?

    All these clowns could have made these movies while Steve was alive but waiting till he's deceased is like the little boy pulling the girls pigtails then running before she can turn and kick his ass. These people waited till steve could have a voice publicly denouncing them all. Then complaining they took a pay cut to make a movie that everyone who was to play a part in all these movies, kept dropping out - didn't want to be a part of the "make money off the dead man" party. I have an idea - take a total paycheck and let the dead RIP.
  • Reply 29 of 147
    I wonder if Cook will also apologize. I think he should as well. But probably not. :( sigh
  • Reply 30 of 147



    I won't be paying to see his movie and even if it is free, I likely won't see it either. Just another hit piece on Steve Jobs.

  • Reply 31 of 147
    I still don't understand how he come up with 17 cents for child labor
    Foxconn workers are at least $400/month by now, they work 8 hours a day.
    So that's more than $2/hour
    Using normal distribution, 17 cents is pretty impossible

    Or is he still have Y2K bug? That would explain a lot
  • Reply 32 of 147
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,577moderator
    Sorkin could be forgiven for making the comment, but there is no forgiveness for the underlying ignorance from which the comment sprung. The man needs reforming. He needs a long, hard look in the mirror. And maybe a look around at all the other made-in-China products in his life, all manufactured in factories where there is zero visibility into the working conditions or age of the workforce. The man must be terribly naive to direct such a comment at Apple, the one company doing more than any other to advance worker safety, pay, and rights throughout its supply chain.
  • Reply 33 of 147
    History will show that Apple has done more for the advancement of China labor reform than any other entity. Any student of history, which you are certainly not, understands the process that an economy goes through from pre-industrial to industrial to post-industrial. Apple is leading China in its industrial phase, raising the standard of living for the millions of workers involved in the assembly of its products and throughout its entire massive supply chain. Do you imagine a manufacturer of any other product in China, out off the spotlight that Apple and a few other forward thinking companies have placed upon themselves with their human rights reporting and monitoring, provides anywhere near the pay, the workplace safety, worker education, and opportunity as Apple?

    Do you realize that the suicide rate among workers assembling Apple products is far lower than that of American white collar office workers, just in case you are thinking of bringing that up?

    Do you have any clue about global trade and industry? Do you suppose Saudi Arabia should grow all its own food rather than importing food from America? Do you realize that by buying food from America, Saudi Arabia and other desert countries could be seen by people with your mindset as exploiting AMerican and Mexican laborers, since it would be far more expensive to grow the same food in Saudi Arabia. Therefore, by your thinking, American farmer workers should earn far more to reflect the enormous cost of growing food in the Saudi Arabian desert. And America shouldn't import oil from the Middle East either, according to your thinking. Nope, nobody should buy products or services from any region where those products or services can be had for less than in the importer's own country. That seems to be your thinking.

    The only reason Apple has been called out on these child labor issues is NOT because those issues occur ONLY in the manufacture of Apple products, but because attacking the largest and most successful company on earth makes for far better news headlines than talking about any of the thousands of factories in China where virtually every product on American store shelves is manufactured, in conditions far worse and with not a care about worker health, safety, pay, or happiness by the factory management. In a world where the pressure of competition swayed a large and apparently healthy company like Volkswagen to cheat on emissions tests, do you suppose the management of factories across China are immune to those same competitive pressures, while operating on even thinner margins? No.
    Hey, but thanks for playing.

    I offer a genuine opinion based on the facts that i know, and i just googled them to confirm and i am right.

    Just because apple was targeted as the largest company using child and poor labor standards does not excuse it from involving itself in those practices. Period.

    People buy food from america because we can and do grow the most of it, other countries do not have the weather or soil to sustain fod growth. That is why they buy from us and that is what triggers a lot of global trade, not having the raw resources. Apple has paid billions to invest in training and infrastructure to manufacture in china, it could have done the same here, but wants to avoid wage costs. Minimum wage in america is proven to force people to live in poverty, so you can imagine how even less wages for chinese hurts those workers.

    Apparently you can only write comments if you praise apple to its core and have nothing but manufactured blind praise.

    Apple does some great work but is not perfect.
  • Reply 34 of 147
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post



    Don't know why he apologized, he was spot on.

     

    Spot on? Please name this "factory full of children being paid $0.17/hr" producing iPhones in China. I'll be waiting. And if not, please aknowledge that you're a liar, who enjoys the company of other liars, and encourages and condones lies. 

     

    As for Sorkin, he can shut the **** up. "Too far"? Why can't he speak for himself, instead of speaking for Cook too? Cook didn't even call out this movie specifically, nor Sorkin- and if he did, "opportunistic" is a mild term, and a blatantly obvious fact anyhow. Sorkin responds with a crazy attack that has no basis in any truth whatsoever, attempting to smear Cook and Apple in the worst possible way.  What a fucking douchebag. 

  • Reply 35 of 147
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post





    You people are disgusting.



    I offer a genuine opinion based on the facts that i know, and i just googled them to confirm and i am right.

     

    No, what's disgusting is that you respond to an intelligent, fact based post with absolute drivel. "Facts that you know"? What the hell does that even mean? RadartheKat laid things out in a manner which includes context and reality, and you go on to call him "disgusting" because you're simply too ignorant to even attempt to grasp the nuances of the situation? Right. Your false sel-righteousness, based on ignorance and lies, is whats disgusting. 

  • Reply 36 of 147
    You sound like one of Apple's lawyers. Why are you defending a multinational, which is perfectly capable of handling itself? It's very childish.
    Think before you speak, Mr. Sorkin. You may have shot your own foot with that thoughtless, stupid, untrue remark about one of the greatest companies of modern times, and arguably, one of the finest CEOs out there. Apple fans may not show up to see your movie.

    There was no equivalency between what you said and Tim Cooks' remarks. Back off like a gentleman, not like a weasel.
  • Reply 37 of 147
    dacloo wrote: »
    You sound like one of Apple's lawyers. Why are you defending a multinational, which is perfectly capable of handling itself? It's very childish.

    Let's see…maybe he has as moral compass where he doesn't want to see another person accused of something they didn't/don't do, and don't look at it from the vantage point of jealousy where some may say, "Screw Tim Cook. He must be a sleaze ball if he's the CEO of the world's most valuable company." Do you not stand up for what's right because it's the right thing to do? I think [@]anantksundaram[/@] is fully capable of handling himself but I'm here sticking up for him. Do I sound like one of anantksundaram's lawyers? How exactly is that childish of me?
  • Reply 38 of 147



    Sorkin's remarks might have been more over the top, but Tim Cook did shoot first, and without any good reason. He didn't say this about Walter Isaacson. Seriously people, use a little more judgement than just this Crips vs Bloods mentality.

  • Reply 39 of 147
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by proline View Post

     

    They didn't go out of their way at all. When asked, they answered truthfully that is was a bad book. And it was. Isaacson got many facts wrong, and allowed people like Bill Gates to say whatever he wanted while simultaneously not asking Jobs any tough questions. It was terrible on every front and will rightly be remembered as such. I say that as someone who pre-ordered it and read it the first day it was out.


    1. "Answered truthfully that it was a bad book" -- that is their OPINION, therefore, they went out of their way to disparage Isaacson's authorized - and frankly, highly rated - biography for not writing a sanitized PR piece. Obviously your opinion as well, which doesn't give your point of view any more merit.

    2. "Facts wrong" -- being, what exactly? Your comment smells like weasel words... 

    3. "Bill Gates said whatever he wanted, not asking tough questions of Jobs..." -- The further I get into what you wrote, the more laughable your veracity and reading retention becomes (if your claim that you even read it to begin with is even true). Jobs specifically asked everyone who was interviewed by Isaacson to be honest (whether friend or foe),  never asked to have input on its content or even be given a chance to read it before it was published. Jobs and his wife actually spent at least a few years trying to persuade Isaacson to write his biography, and it was only as his health was failing that he finally agreed. The bottom line is that this is what Steve wanted, and he and Laurene Powell trusted Walter Isaacson implicitly to write a truthful biography. 

    4. "Rightly remembered [as terrible]..." -- Again, based on what? Weasel words aren't helping you, and having read it on the first day of its release doesn't make you any more reputable (scratching my head as to why you'd even think that matters). "Steve Jobs" was a #1 best seller on Amazon and has retained a 4 1/2 star rating since its release, as well as being featured on a number of publications' "best of" lists.

     

    It's well written, accurate, insightful, and importantly, interesting. I've read probably a few dozen biographies over the past few years, and this one was one of my favorites. That's my opinion, and everyone is of course entitled to their own. People are interested in Steve Jobs because he was very remarkable, so it's only natural that media will continue to tell his story. Apple's profit margins can also easily be seen as "opportunism" if we're all descending into oversimplified cynicism here, but I don't think piling on negative barbs does any good. I just think Tim Cook should relax a bit about Steve Jobs' legacy: personal flaws notwithstanding, it's intact. He was not a perfect human being by any means, but overall most of us love him for what he's done to transform the computer industry.

  • Reply 40 of 147
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

     



    Sorkin's remarks might have been more over the top, but Tim Cook did shoot first, and without any good reason. He didn't say this about Walter Isaacson. Seriously people, use a little more judgement than just this Crips vs Bloods mentality.


    Here's what Tim Cook actually said about Walter Isaacson;

     

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2999440/Apple-CEO-Tim-Cook-reveals-Steve-Jobs-called-mother-tell-social-life-talks-moment-Jobs-asked-over.html

     

     

    "The book includes unprecedented interviews with Cook and other Apple executives, many of whom were disappointed with the official biography written by Walter Isaacson.

    'I thought the [Walter] Isaacson book did him a tremendous disservice,' said Cook.

    'It was just a rehash of a bunch of stuff that had already been written, and focused on small parts of his personality. 

    'You get the feeling that [Steve's] a greedy, selfish egomaniac. It didn't capture the person. The person I read about there is somebody I would never have wanted to work with over all this time. Life is too short.'

     

    Now would be a good time to retract your BS statement, Ronbo...

     

Sign In or Register to comment.