iPad stuck in infinite 'boot up loop'. How do I reset?

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015

I have a 3rd generation iPad that's a WiFi only model and the 64GB model.

I have been using a version of iOS 7 on it for awhile and at times it would mysteriously reboot.  I could be in the middle of using it or I could even not be using it at all and simply see it restart.

With the release of iOS 8 I installed the new version hoping it may fix this issue.  Sadly it got much worse.  I was able to get into the device a few times but for the last 5-6 days I can't get into it.  It simply is stuck into a constant reboot loop.  It shows the Apple logo like it's restarting but it never fully restarts.  It makes a sound like a beep and then begins restarting once again.  This is a never ending loop. I even left it unplugged so that the battery would run down and then plugged it in again but that didn't help.

I don't know if upgrading to iOS 8.0.2 will fix the problem.  Probably not but I've never done a reset.  The iPad was backed up about 2 weeks ago to iCloud so I'd like to get into it if possible to do a factory reset and wipe the device so that I can upgrade to iOS 8.0.2 and then reinstall all apps.  Yet I don't know how to do this if I can't get into the device.

I have tried the reset where I hold down the sleep/wake button the same time as the home button but that doesn't help.  I also tried connecting it to iTunes to do a reset but it won't let me do anything with it unless I enter the passcode on the iPad and it never boots to the point of where I can do that.  Also, I thought of doing a reset on iCloud (marking it as a lost iPad to do a reset) but I realize this will only work if it boots enough to get to iCloud.  I also read on Google how you can put it into restore mode by pressing the home button while connecting to the computer/iTunes but that also didn't help.

Unfortunately this is the one Apple device that I didn't get AppleCare on so there is not a warranty on it. I hope I'm able to somehow do a hard reset on it without booting it.  That is my hope but if I have to take it into Apple would there be a charge for this?

Thanks 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

... but if I have to take it into Apple would there be a charge for this?

Thanks 

Nobody on here knows... You'll have to ask the Apple store.

With an expired warranty, they certainly COULD charge you, but there's no law that says they MUST.

Call 'em, set up an appointment, and take it in... they might just have a quick/easy way of forcing it to restore at the "genius" bar.

• Reply 2 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    markw10 wrote: »
    I also tried connecting it to iTunes to do a reset but it won't let me do anything with it unless I enter the passcode on the iPad and it never boots to the point of where I can do that.

Did you try the following reset option?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808
  • Reply 3 of 12

I tried this reset option and this one worked. I was able to restore it from iTunes and it's now working correctly.  Thanks!

• Reply 4 of 12

All hail Marvin!

Good find. I'd never heard of that "option".

• Reply 5 of 12
    All hail Marvin!

Good find. I'd never heard of that "option".

I wish I knew that a week ago. It would've saved me a trip to the SoHo store, but I did see a lot of beautiful women. ;)
  • Reply 6 of 12

Open iTunes and try:

Step 1. Connect the iPhone to USB then listen for the sound when it normally connects and disconnects.

Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until you hear the sound again, then release the power button.

Step 3. Wait until you hear the sound a third time, then release home button.

Step 4. Without the SHSH Blobs, you will have to point to a higher firmware to complete the fix about iPhone Stuck on Apple logo.

• Reply 7 of 12
    kingsomekingsome Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonharden View Post

Open iTunes and try:

Step 1. Connect the iPhone to USB then listen for the sound when it normally connects and disconnects.

Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until you hear the sound again, then release the power button.

Step 4. Without the SHSH Blobs, you will have to point to a higher firmware to complete the fix about iPhone Stuck on Apple logo.

Good share. Thanks.

• Reply 8 of 12

thank you, jasonharden.  I tried the other reset options and the ipad would not budge.  MY problem was this;  The ipad would try to start, black screen and white logo, then flash white and go back to the black screen and white logo, then flash and do this continually.  It wouldn't even TRY to connect to itunes.  I tried all the reset options and nothing.  Your steps, with holding the power button and home button and plugging in the cable WORKED  thank you and i am sure that the person who owns this extends his gratitude as well.

• Reply 9 of 12

For days, I tried every solution offered here and anywhere to no avail. Therefore I started looking for battery replacement which left the iPad alone for about a week to (presumably) drain to zero.

Then, just for the try, I plugged in the charger (happens not to be the original). Luckily it didn't sense it and didn't start showing the apple. So carefully I stepped back, told everyone not to touch it and let it be.

After about two hours, my wife cried out "It started, went blank and I saw it reached 34%!" Lo and behold, I pressed the Home and true, it was on and 34% charged.

Didn't take any chance, pressed the on/off and slided to properly shut it down and let it charge undisturbed as long as needed.

Hope this will help somebody.

• Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonharden View Post

Open iTunes and try:

Step 4. Without the SHSH Blobs, you will have to point to a higher firmware to complete the fix about iPhone Stuck on Apple logo.?

How do I do Step 4? I don't understand, could someone please explain in simple terms? (I'm not great at this, as you can tell.)

• Reply 11 of 12
    abbiesb wrote: »

Open iTunes and try:
    Step 4. Without the SHSH Blobs, you will have to point to a higher firmware to complete the fix about iPhone Stuck on Apple logo.?
    How do I do Step 4? I don't understand, could someone please explain in simple terms? (I'm not great at this, as you can tell.)

Just pick the newest version of iOS if there's a list of which one you want to install.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Hello,
    I also have the same problem so I was wondering if you a solution to the problem? If so then could you reply to me with the answer thanks