Do Sony Displays Work?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi i'm thinking about geting the next Powermac when it comes out....i would like to know do Sony displays work with Mac's? And do they work with Mac OS X? I don't mean just on...i mean i can change things on the display via the software preferences not hardware.

Any one else out there have a Sony display? Are they good? Do they stuff up or heat up to easy? I'd like to hear good news too.

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mjpacimjpaci Posts: 79member
    Huh?

Which Sony displays? CRT or LCD? Which options would you like to change? Do you want to adjust the size and shape?

--Mike
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I've got a Quicksilver with GeForce 2 MX. I have a Sony Trinitron Multiscan G420 CTR flat. Works great. Got it for graphics work. Why don't you just check what ColorSync profiles you have? Find the Sonys.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Sonys CRT's...i can't find any info any where as to if they work with mac os x? I'd like to adjust everything but via the software way so i know it's suported by the OS X.

Frank_t
  • Reply 4 of 9
    DOESN'T ANYONE KNOW???
  • Reply 5 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yes. sony CRT's work with MacOS. you can change settings via software, but other than the standards like res. i'm not sure what you'd be talking about.

they are nice, they don't get hotter than any other monitor.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 6 of 9
    If you mean things such as adjusting the raster... like the parrelogram, height, width, etceteras... you don't do that in the System Preferences. Last displays you were ever able to do that with were the AppleVision and ColorSync displays from Apple.

All Sony CRTs, as well as most CRTs for that matter, have an OSD (Onscreen display) that allows you to adjust these advanced settings.

The Monitors system preferences in the Mac OS will only allow you to switch resolutions, switch color depth, and apply color calibration settings.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>If you mean things such as adjusting the raster... like the parrelogram, height, width, etceteras... you don't do that in the System Preferences. Last displays you were ever able to do that with were the AppleVision and ColorSync displays from Apple.

All Sony CRTs, as well as most CRTs for that matter, have an OSD (Onscreen display) that allows you to adjust these advanced settings.

The Monitors system preferences in the Mac OS will only allow you to switch resolutions, switch color depth, and apply color calibration settings.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the info mod, mmm so only the Apple displays let's you adjust other seting apart from Res or Color....so the only way to adjust anything on 3rd part displays is via the OSD. OK....i wish there where some brands that would let you do everything via the software...but i guess apple does it so you can't and need to get there own displays to do that......Thanks for the help guys....and if you got any other info please post.

Frank_t
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I was able to adjust everything on my Mitsubishi 900u via OS 9 and a little utility from Mitsubishi. It was very convienient. I don't know about Sony. Sorry.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    The moderator was right.

It doesn't matter if you are buying an apple, sony, or Samsung or any monitor. They should all work nicely (if good quality) and they all come with On Screen Displays to change settings. Some software exists to alter the settings, usually associated with the video card however, not the OS.

Just like ram or hard drives, monitors will work with most anything.

The only trouble I can see you running into, would be if you have a new Apple. They don't have rgb, or dvi, they have the apple standard adc, which is not compatible with anything else.. you need an adapter. Terribly annoying.