Apple sells blockbuster 13 million iPhone 6s, 6s Plus units in launch weekend

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple's new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are off to a record breaking start, selling more than 13 million units in their first three days of availability, the company announced on Monday.

"Sales for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have been phenomenal, blowing past any previous first weekend sales results in Apple's history," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said. "Customers' feedback is incredible and they are loving 3D Touch and Live Photos, and we can't wait to bring iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus to customers in even more countries on October 9."

The company noted that sales completed by Saturday, Sept. 26 will be included in Apple's 2015 fourth fiscal quarter results. Beginning on Sunday, Sept. 27, completed sales will be included in Apple's 2016 first fiscal quarter results.

With 13 million units sold in three days, Apple easily trounced last year's record of 10 million units sold in the launch weekend for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. But this year's roll-out had one key advantage over last year's: China.

iPhone sales continue to post tremendous growth in China, and Apple capitalized on this by making the country one of the initial launch territories. The device also debuted in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the U.K., and the U.S.

Apple had already signaled last week that the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus were off to a record breaking start in terms of preorders, on pace to eclipse last year's record. Sales of 13 million units are likely to please Wall Street, where investors had expressed concern that this year's "S" upgrade cycle might not appeal to consumers.

Though it has an appearance largely identical to last year's model, the new iPhone 6s series boasts a number of under-the-hood improvements, most notably a new pressure-sensitive 3D Touch display, and accompanying Taptic Engine for haptic feedback and a different feeling vibration motor. Apple has also increased the rear camera to 12 megapixels, added a new Retina flash for selfies taken with the forward facing camera, and greatly improved speed and performance, thanks to a new A9 processor with 2 gigabytes of RAM.

The iPhone 6s has the same 4.7-inch display as last year's iPhone 6, while the larger iPhone 6s Plus remains at 5.5 inches. Both models are available in a new rose gold color option, joining space gray, silver, and gold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    ...and the stock goes down in three, two, one...
  • Reply 2 of 88
    Utterly impressive. Congrats Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple was down pre-market and is slightly up now. The question of course will be is that 13M a function of supply? Could the number have been 15M if there was more supply?

The website below which tracks Apple Store shipping dates in major launch countries shows the earliest ship date is 10/5, lots of 10/19, some 1-2 weeks and the 6S Plus is mostly showing 3-4 weeks out. I tried to reserve a 64GB space gray and only a handful of Apple stores were listed as being available to reserve. My state wasn't (and it has 5 Apple stores).

http://iphone-inventory.blogspot.com/2015/09/iphone-6s-pre-order-tracker.html
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Boom! There it is.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 5 of 88

But............Still below market expectation.

Apple is doomed again.

• Reply 6 of 88

Big screen iPhones weren't such a bad idea after all. ;)

• Reply 7 of 88
    sog35 wrote: »
    but, but, but, but, everyone bought the 6 and won't upgrade to 6s.
    but, but, but, but, China can't afford iPhone anymore.

So 3M more than last year but this year included China in the initial launch. Considering Apple's website is showing no phones available to ship today my guess is Apple is selling as many phones as they can make. So the number is a function of supply more than demand.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [B]Apple is Boomed™[/B]
  • Reply 9 of 88
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple was down pre-market and is slightly up now. The question of course will be is that 13M a function of supply? Could the number have been 15M if there was more supply?

The website below which tracks Apple Store shipping dates in major launch countries shows the earliest ship date is 10/5, lots of 10/19, some 1-2 weeks and the 6S Plus is mostly showing 3-4 weeks out. I tried to reserve a 64GB space gray and only a handful of Apple stores were listed as being available to reserve. My state wasn't (and it has 5 Apple stores).

http://iphone-inventory.blogspot.com/2015/09/iphone-6s-pre-order-tracker.html

Doesn't matter, and if it was supple constraints, it would benefit Apple next year if they can make 14 million phones
  • Reply 10 of 88
    Fantastic news!

My wife got her iPhone Space Gray 6s 64 Friday, FedEx from AT&T on their Next 12 plan. And I'm getting my Space Gray 6s 128 today! We both had gold phones last year and liked the color. But we both wanted to try a black face this year. AT&T sends a pre-paid USPS label to return last year's phone within 10 days.
  • Reply 11 of 88

No one wants a bigger iPhone, only 4in iPhones.

/s

• Reply 12 of 88
    I found this to be quite interesting but I can't verify (nor can they I think) whether it's accurate or not.

Regardless, this flippin' counter is more fun and positive than watching the American debt ticker spiral! :D

[URL=http://codepen.io/CreativeLittleChris/full/JYbYod/?ref=webdesignernews.com]Since the launch of the iPhone 6s in the UK on the 25th September 2015 at 8.00AM, Apple has sold[/URL]
  • Reply 13 of 88
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, and if it was supple constraints, it would benefit Apple next year if they can make 14 million phones

I am curious to know what Apple means when they say "just three days after launch". Pre-orders started on the 12th. I'm assuming the 13M includes any ordered phones that customers received on Friday or over the weekend?
  • Reply 14 of 88
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

13 million down...7 billion to go!

• Reply 15 of 88
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    From buyers feedback at my work, they had pink color shortages and 6s plus shortages.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    sog35 wrote: »
    So you are poo pooing 13 million phones sold in one weekend?  LOL.

Absolutely not. I'm saying the numbers are a function of supply, not demand. The important number will come in January.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    No one wants a bigger iPhone, only 4in iPhones.

/s

You made me laugh. I am testing at a customer site on an iPhone 6 Plus and like the size. I now have iOS 9 on my personal 3.5, 4 and 4.7 inch iPhones. An iPhone 6S Plus will be added to my collection! ????
  • Reply 18 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So 3M more than last year but this year included China in the initial launch. Considering Apple's website is showing no phones available to ship today my guess is Apple is selling as many phones as they can make. So the number is a function of supply more than demand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So you are poo pooing 13 million phones sold in one weekend?  LOL.

I take it as not building them fast enough.

Comprehension is becoming a lost art these days....

• Reply 19 of 88

I wonder why sales between September 27-30 are being included in their Q1 and not in their Q4 .  Shouldn't they stop counting sales when the clock ticks over to 12:00:01 am PDT on October 1?  Or do they always end their fiscal Q4 on September 26th?  Just wondering.

• Reply 20 of 88
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I was able to buy two 6s' (both Space Grey, one 64GB and one 128GB) at my local AT&T store (NE Indiana) on launch morning. Stopped by the day before to find out what sort of stock they had on hand and was told it wouldn't be a problem if I got there more or less when they opened.

I turned up about 10 minutes before opening, at which time there were 8 people in line in front of me. I was in and out in maybe 40 minutes, including a 5 minute wait. They had a couple of extra sales people on hand, plus one scheduler/runner to sign in customers as they arrived and to go and pick stock for them.

The 6s is a big upgrade, in all senses of the adjective, over my old 5. The fingerprint sensor is genuinely useful, since it works instantaneously. 3D Touch is intriguing, but we'll need to wait for more apps to support it. The Taptic engine works well and also provides a more prominent conventional vibration that the old system. At the grocery I tried Apple Pay for the first time too: flawless. Haven't really used the camera yet.

Very happy upgrader here.