Apple sells blockbuster 13 million iPhone 6s, 6s Plus units in launch weekend

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

They split fiscal quarters and fiscal years by full weeks.

Ah! That makes perfect sense now.  Thanks for clarifying!

• Reply 62 of 88
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    damonf wrote: »
    I wonder why sales between September 27-30 are being included in their Q1 and not in their Q4 .  Shouldn't they stop counting sales when the clock ticks over to 12:00:01 am PDT on October 1?  Or do they always end their fiscal Q4 on September 26th?  Just wondering.

Apple always ends each quarter on the last Saturday of the last month of the quarter. In previous years, the launch weekend was earlier in the month, a week ahead of the last Saturday of September, so the full launch weekend always resided entirely within Apple's 4th fiscal quarter (June - September). This yer, with launch weekend being the last weekend often quarter, the quarter closed half way through the weekend, including Friday and Satirday sales and home deliveries, but not Sales that occurred in stores on Sunday.
  • Reply 63 of 88

So now all the hand wringing by the "analysts" is about China contributing meaningful sales to the launch numbers??  I thought they were concerned because China wasn't supposed to be buying iPhones this year.  China is apparently a bad news/bad news situation for Apple.  "The launch numbers are not real because they are including China, which is obviously inflating the figures."  Makes perfect sense...

• Reply 64 of 88
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    These numbers are reality bending. Is there any hardware product on Earth that's of equal complexity and comparable build quality that comes remotely close to the numbers that Apple puts up year after year only to outdo itself the next year? I think we've all grown numb to the enormity that Apple makes look routine, especially Wall Street. They are operating in a league of their own. Selling 13 million of anything in a weekend is staggering, but to sell that many highly sophisticated state of the art pocketable computers that are also world class phones, cameras, and communications hubs is beyond comprehension- except when it's Apple.
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Is this a case of (Tim) cooking the books?

In business, you usually want to under promise, over deliver. Apple launched it's wonder this time in more countries then ever before allowing them to grab headlines to claim they broke records - But being able to say you broke records, is a little like counting apple's and oranges (or lemons) - They're not really the same, are they? Ask Apple to compare this launch to those of the past.. but do it by country. At least that would leave you with an honest comparison. (Appleinsider wrote Apple capitalized by including China, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the U.K., and the U.S as the initial launch territories). Marketing at it's best, but very misleading nevertheless. I might add, misleading to the investing public, as well.

I found myself in the unlikely situation of being in 2 different Apple stores in Los Angeles on the launch of the iPhone 6S last week. My iPhone 5's screen had cracked while on a business trip and I wanted to see if it was time to move on. After looking at the new models for quite awhile, I left the store not feeling compelled to have the new phone. I was very familiar with the older iPhone 6 and was disappointed the hype didn't match the experience. Apple's claim that everything was new seemed so desperate. But what really struck me as I was leaving the store.. no line! A surprise, but maybe just a one off for one of the largest stores in the LA area in the valley. A few hours later I was back on the westside and was even more shocked by what I found (then the first time..), again no lines! It reminded me of another kind of line from those old "I Love Lucy" episodes. Apple's ploy to create demand by hyping their products might leave them with some "explaining to do" if these to samples were any indication of demand for the iPhone 6S.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    So, according to the "mystics" on Wall Street, in order to keep AAPL priced at its Friday close, Apple needed to report 15M in sales.

Yeah, right. Wall Street is run by the crookedest of crooks.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

A Pre-Sale is NOT a sale!  It didn't get to the customer until launch day.  Try dealing with 13 million+ people in 3 days, ya right.   It doesn't matter what someone ordered earlier if he/she doesn't have it.  Sales start launch day of being able to get the phone and for that 3 days.

Unlike Samsung which Counts launched (Into the Distribution Network, not actually sold to people)

Agree.  I wonder how close Apple is to their current max ability to deliver that many phones.  Could believe a "redesign" of their "new product release" weekend could be required to go to the next level.  It's a lot of pieces to be making/assembling and it's not a trivial task to distribute that many units.

• Reply 68 of 88
    rogifan wrote: »
    It seems like almost whenever Apple has an announcement the stock market is down that day. Facebook is down 3.5% right now, Amazon over 3%, Google over 1%. I'd love to know what the stock would be trading it right now if the market was up, say, 200 points.

I read that *Elvis left the building... maybe that's why the stock is down?

Yeah, I mean that other recent rock star with a white cape and a charming accent ;)
  • Reply 69 of 88
    jbdragon wrote: »
    That's American Government Debt, which each Man, Woman and Child owes, last last I heard 40+ grand, each and continues to go up.

Yes that's a rather sad fact and nothing to really smile about, because as we all know by now, what goes around (in the US) comes around (to making it's way over the pond to Europe) :\
  • Reply 70 of 88
    spheric wrote: »

That's because debt drives the economy. 

National budgets do not work the way your grandma's pillowcase did.

Regardless of the facetiousnous of your analagy, you can't be serious if you think this level of debt can continue to go on eternally without a serious correctional bump in the road or dire consequences if it isn't halted sooner rather than later :wow:
  • Reply 71 of 88
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spheric View Post

That's because debt drives the economy. 

National budgets do not work the way your grandma's pillowcase did.

"National budgets" do not "work" at all, and the proof of that is the ever increasing mound of debt and the lunacy of devaluing a country's currency through the relentless printing of "money". To think otherwise suggests to me that you must be a member of the "financial industry" that is still trying to use "alchemy" to turn "worthless pieces of paper" into gold.  :devil:

• Reply 72 of 88
    Basically all this is telling us is that Apple were able to manufacture more units than last year.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

What do you expect when people start their posts with "but, but, but ..." -- that really should be a bannable offense. Fortunately anybody likely to do this on these forums is probably already on my blocked list.

Trolls shouldn't be allowed to escape from the false, rhetorical memes they post.

Anyone caught using these memes should be ready to take it deep when they are proven wrong.

They can use the block list to escape the price of their trolling, but deep down inside, they know they are using dishonest arguments that can't stand up to scrutiny.

• Reply 74 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Call me doom and gloom but given they had an additional week for pre-order - AND china, it's no surprise. And relatively modest growth..

I'd love to know how many %uF8FF sold of the iPhone 6/6 Plus by the same DATE last year (aka 10 days pre-order plus a week of full availability online - as the time they've essentially pushed back the results announcement...) PLUS the equivalent time for China.

Eases the pain to say that, doesn't it?

Close your eyes and repeat this affirmation: "People want Android. Android is just as good as iPhone. Everything's going to be OK for Android. Apple will fail." Say it 50 times.

• Reply 75 of 88
    I'm replying to this on an iPhone 6s. I've never owned an android device in my life.

I wish this forum would allow for a bit of intellectual curiosity - i am in business and find the numbers interesting, instead of this sort of infantile commentary that I see over and over again.

Of course ? will thrive and the iPhone sales be strong but I'm adding context to their announcement.
  • Reply 76 of 88

This is interesting to hear and good news for Apple. 

I have connections with the biggest supplier of multi network phones via retail here in the UK and every indiction has been that sales have been poor and a lot less than they where expecting.

Before launch a memo went out to all staff in the company (many thousands) that usual staff discount is not available on the device due to demand and the decision will not be reviewed until Feburary at the earliest.

On Sunday it was announced that staff discount was now being offered effective immediately as well as several other discounts above the normal which are effectively several hundred pounds discount vs the already fairly heavy standard staff discount, with particular activity around the 16gb model (I guess this may be a local issue and the company bought to many 16gb models?) were they launched a flash sale for colleagues until the end of the week.

They also announced several price reductions on the 16gb model just 3 days after release as well as various urgent internal company memos and conference calls about how important it is to sell into these.

• Reply 77 of 88

For those of you who say the extra week of pre-orders didnt help, of course it did - it's an extra week of pre-orders booked for the first day!

If the argument is that they wouldnt have sold more - as if there was a finite number of interest which didnt increase with word of mouth as days rolled into second week - is madness. and doesnt stand water. Do sales suddenly go to zero when the phone is in the shops? of course it doesnt - it continues to sell. Giving an extra week of pre-orders no doubt increased the number.  

My point remains - they allowed an additional week to get that first burst of sales looking solid. 

Add china to comparable numbers, in additional to that week, and i find 12 million very modest - if not flat -growth Y/Y.

• Reply 78 of 88
    smarky wrote: »
    This is interesting to hear and good news for Apple. 

I have connections with the biggest supplier of multi network phones via retail here in the UK and every indiction has been that sales have been poor and a lot less than they where expecting.

Before launch a memo went out to all staff in the company (many thousands) that usual staff discount is not available on the device due to demand and the decision will not be reviewed until Feburary at the earliest.

On Sunday it was announced that staff discount was now being offered effective immediately as well as several other discounts above the normal which are effectively several hundred pounds discount vs the already fairly heavy standard staff discount, with particular activity around the 16gb model (I guess this may be a local issue and the company bought to many 16gb models?) were they launched a flash sale for colleagues until the end of the week.

They also announced several price reductions on the 16gb model just 3 days after release as well as various urgent internal company memos and conference calls about how important it is to sell into these.

Name the supplier. No need to be coy.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    wdowell wrote: »
    For those of you who say the extra week of pre-orders didnt help, of course it did - it's an extra week of pre-orders booked for the first day!
    If the argument is that they wouldnt have sold more - as if there was a finite number of interest which didnt increase with word of mouth as days rolled into second week - is madness. and doesnt stand water. Do sales suddenly go to zero when the phone is in the shops? of course it doesnt - it continues to sell. Giving an extra week of pre-orders no doubt increased the number.  

My point remains - they allowed an additional week to get that first burst of sales looking solid. 

Add china to comparable numbers, in additional to that week, and i find 12 million very modest - if not flat -growth Y/Y.

If Apple had a certain quantity set aside for preorders, why would it matter if they had 3 days or 7 days or 10 days? It also had a finite quantity of in-store iPhones as well.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    wdowell wrote: »

Your comment is backwards. The extra week* would only allow for an extra week of production to boost sales, and would have no effect on the internet from buyers. They are still at a point where they will sell as many phones as they can actually make.

* Regarding this "extra week" crap. Why is it an extra week? Because the actual shipping date was a week later than last year? So? You have no idea when they started manufacturing these new devices, what their component supply chain is like or how much production was available for the assembly. There could have been obstacles that required this, and if the iPhone 6/6S casing design was indeed reworked to make it more durable for purposeful bending why completely ignore that this sort of engineering is not something you do in the 11th hour months month before you start full production, but actually something you deal with a couple years in advance, which could have caused its own level of complexity. It would have surely taken more than a week to work out getting a new aluminium, getting equipment to mill it properly, testing and QA, reworking the internal casing design for the focal and secure points, making it larger to accommodate the new strength (or maybe that was for 3D Touch all along), making the battery, logic board, and all other component fit, etc. You simply have zero information to claim that they are somehow a week behind on anything. This may have been planned all along. Remember that the iPhone used to be a Summer release and then moved to the Autumn? Do you think that was because of months of delay or because they made a conscious effort?