Rumor: 'iPhone 7' might be waterproof, feature newly designed non-metal chassis

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    People have been doing water tests on YouTube using the 6S and it sounds like they are pretty waterproof already! This guy soaked a 6S and 6S+ for an hour and could find no noticeable damage: [URL] Maybe Apple secretly made them waterproof but didn't want to announce it as a feature to avoid being liable for any damage. Remember didnt they recently change AppleCare to include water damage? AppleInsider should do their own test. That would be a much bigger headline than a someday/maybe article about the iPhone 7!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Here's a rumor iPhone 7 will happen next year will have screen and make phone calls! Mind blown… it's a phone I'm sure it will be ok for some, awesome for a few more, and polished turd for a select group.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Finally, some long-overdue iPhone 7 rumors—too bad the new materials will lead to supply constraints at launch¡

C'mon, you know you were all thinking the same thing.

The iPhone 8 rumors are not far off .... liquid metal I suspect ;)
  • Reply 24 of 40

What about ceramic AND Liquidmetal?

• Reply 25 of 40

Apple is well-known for having technological and financial means to get expensive materials and manufacturing costs down.

• Reply 26 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The next iPhone must be made from transparent aluminum and levitate or Apple is doomed™!
  • Reply 27 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dhawkins541 View Post

Here's a rumor iPhone 7 will happen next year will have screen and make phone calls! Mind blown… it's a phone I'm sure it will be ok for some, awesome for a few more, and polished turd for a select group.

Phone calls? At the rate they phase out old, obsolete technology standards I'm sure Apple will have deprecated that functionality by then.

• Reply 28 of 40
    Three cheers for Apple! Well maybe just two.

1. iPhones have long needed better protection from water for those outdoors and in sports.

2. It's easy to suspect that everything radio in an iPhone would benefit from getting exchanging those aluminum cases for something that blocks radio waves less and is perhaps sturdier and more scratch-resistant.

What else does Apple need to do with the iPhone 7? One more thing.

3. Create an EL-model that's identical electronically but not quite as thin and devote the added space to adding battery capacity.

Then Apple would deserve a full three cheers.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Three cheers for Apple! Well maybe just two.

1. iPhones have long needed better protection from water for those outdoors and in sports.

Uh, a youtube video showed the 6S lasting for more than 30 min underwater. How is that bad?

• Reply 30 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apple used Zirconia for the Apple Watch.

Perhaps for an RF window on a phone but not the whole case. Cubic Zirconia is a strong thermal insulator which is not good for a phone. Need a material that can disperse heat. My iPhone 6 gets hot pretty quickly while streaming music.

• Reply 31 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    inkling wrote: »

3. Create an EL-model that's identical electronically but not quite as thin and devote the added space to adding battery capacity.

Then Apple would deserve a full three cheers.

Nope. The battery life is fine for most users. The heavy power users aren't going to be satisfied no matter what.
    slurpy wrote: »
    Uh, a youtube video showed the 6S lasting for more than 30 min underwater. How is that bad?

Um because I can't do laps in a pool with it. /s
  • Reply 32 of 40
    melgross wrote: »
    But only for the rear portion that holds the sensors, and not for the less expensive sports model.

This material is pretty expensive, so using it for an entire phone chassis would cost an awful lot.

CNC machining of aluminum blocks into enclosures isn't cheap for most people either. It's possible mass production on an Apple scale might drop the price to something more reasonable.

You don't machine zirconium dioxide. Best way would to deposit it using a 3D copy machine. Using that method, one could deposit the zirconium dioxide along with another non-metal to give the final material more ideal specifications.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    OLED still has years to go to get close to the brightness of LCD without burning the blue oled pigments which are extremely sensitive (this is governed by thermodynamics, not samsung marketing).

Most people use the phone in a lit environment, so OLED fails there. Even the newest S6e display doesn't compare favorably when compared next to the 6s (look online for pictures on this). Some people like the saturated display, but it's not great when trying to determine color accuracy to real objects.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    LG has solved the problem with blue pixels burning out by using a white led and filters.

They have big plans for OLED displays which include smartphones including displays that can be folded up and placed in one's pocket. I don't know of any LCD display that is even remotely capable of doing that.

OLED is the future. Apple will be adopting the technology at some point. Not a matter of if, but more of when. Hopefully they already have something worked out with LG display.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Well, I forgot that Apple is already using an AMOLED screen from LG for the watch. It would seem only a matter of time before those screens come to the iPhone and iPad. The watch screen is easily viewed in bright sunlight also.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Bigger for me! 5.5" is feeling small? How about a 5.7" and a 5.2" size for the iPhone 7. Battery life would continue to improve with the jump and Apple can make the smaller 5.2" screen resolution 1080p! And for people who what even smaller size; keep the 4.7" but don't update the screen resolution and keep the SoC a generation or two inside and lower the price an additional $100 to become the budget model with only 8 and 16GB of storage!
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jungmark wrote: »
    The next iPhone must be made from transparent aluminum and levitate or Apple is doomed™!

They have had that in fancy mechanical wristwatches since the middle 1930s! You could look to see the clock work!
  • Reply 38 of 40
    wiggin wrote: »
    Phone calls? At the rate they phase out old, obsolete technology standards I'm sure Apple will have deprecated that functionality by then.

It true people use text message and video chats nowadays. That and lots of media and video viewing. Phone calls are becoming rarer every day!
  • Reply 39 of 40
    josha wrote: »
    A few months ago I got a new iPhone 5c 16gb.  It has the non Al plastic case.
    Good gosh, another non Al case  iPhone coming to keep it company !   :)

The movie "The Graduate" where Dustin Hoffman was told that chemicals and plastics are the "future" is even more true today the back in the 60s!
  • Reply 40 of 40
    josha wrote: »
    A few months ago I got a new iPhone 5c 16gb.  It has the non Al plastic case.
    Good gosh, another non Al case  iPhone coming to keep it company !   :)

I still use my 32GB 5C when I go to gym, running and hit the bar scene. I go naked no cover and it still look brand new and feel high quality! Would mind a bigger version of that for to bring it full circle.