iOS 9 tips: Disconnect from a Bluetooth accessory without making your iPhone forget it

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Starting with iOS 9, Apple has made it possible to disconnect an iPhone from a Bluetooth device without the need to "forget" the wireless accessory, making it easier to reconnect without going through the pairing process again.

In previous versions of iOS, accessing the Bluetooth settings for most accessories simply displayed the option "Forget This Device." Selecting it would not only disconnect from the Bluetooth accessory, but also prevent automatic pairing in the future.

Starting with iOS 9, Apple has added a new option for Bluetooth devices: Open Settings, select Bluetooth, then tap the "i" circle button to the right of the accessory. From there, you can see the new "Disconnect" option, alongside the legacy "Forget This Device" choice.

By selecting Disconnect, users can keep a Bluetooth accessory among their list of stored wireless devices.

This new option will make it easier for users to switch control to another iPhone or iPad or another device, especially with legacy Bluetooth accessories that do not support connections from multiple devices. It also negates the need to once again go through the pairing process to "re-learn" a Bluetooth accessory and use it.

iOS 9 also includes a new battery widget in Notification Center that will allow users to quickly view the current battery level of any connected Bluetooth accessory. This includes headphones, speakers, and even the Apple Watch.
dparlow

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I didn't know I wanted this until it was offered! Very good.
  • Reply 2 of 18

I did not realize this was much of a problem....

• Reply 3 of 18
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    FINALLY! Although I do not understand why they do not allow to disconnect from (and connect to, for that matter) a Bluetooth headphone or speaker from Control Center.....
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Better late than never!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

So my AirTurn accessory (BT-105) has always worked this way (3 years and counting).  I paired it only once, and the two devices always remember each other, regardless of the power-on-off/sleep/wake sequence.  Same as my car (handsfree).

On the other hand, some recent BT speakers seem to be more forgetful, like the article suggests... was that a change in the BT standard, or what?

• Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

So my AirTurn accessory (BT-105) has always worked this way (3 years and counting).  I paired it only once, and the two devices always remember each other, regardless of the power-on-off/sleep/wake sequence.  Same as my car (handsfree).

On the other hand, some recent BT speakers seem to be more forgetful, like the article suggests... was that a change in the BT standard, or what?

thats not what this is about. What you have is how most BT products are supposed to work. 

Example - i have a BT (audioX) device on a boat thats always powered. When I get back to the dock and stay relatively close, it is still connected, so its a pain to take calls cos my boat (that I'm not in) answers them. I have to "forget" the device if I'm staying close, and re-pair the next time. I could just turn of BT on the phone, but then my watch is disonnected. 

This new IOS 9 feature is actually great, if IMHO its a bit overdue.

• Reply 7 of 18
    justinpejustinpe Posts: 32member
    This is great and all, but I think the best new features of iOS 9 haven't even been unveiled yet. It seems likely that Force Touch will be incorporated into the new iPhone hardware this fall, so I see Force Touch being integrated into iOS as the biggest new feature. It also sounds like a new Apple TV is coming this fall and it makes sense that Apple will better integrate it with Macs and iOS devices with features like handoff and continuity. They will probably revamp the remote app for iOS too. Another possibility for a new iOS feature is multiple user accounts, which I can see Apple implementing on the rumored iPad pro as something to differentiate it from other iOS devices.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member

thats not what this is about. What you have is how most BT products are supposed to work. 
    Example - i have a BT (audioX) device on a boat thats always powered. When I get back to the dock and stay relatively close, it is still connected, so its a pain to take calls cos my boat (that I'm not in) answers them. I have to "forget" the device if I'm staying close, and re-pair the next time. I could just turn of BT on the phone, but then my watch is disonnected. 
    This new IOS 9 feature is actually great, if IMHO its a bit overdue.

I have the same issue with a Bluetooth speaker / dock in my kitchen that it would be nice to leave constantly powered on due to the inaccessibility of the plug but I have to keep either forgetting / re-pairing it or fumbling around behind the fridge for the socket switch to turn it on / off when I want to use it otherwise my phone connects to it as soon as I'm in the house and automatically picks it as the AirPlay output for sounds and alerts whether I want it to or not... This is very long overdue and a most welcome addition to iOS.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I didn't know I wanted this until it was offered! Very good.

Yeah, I've wanted this for some time.  Now when I want to disconnect a device [if the device itself isn't in my immediate vicinity, arms reach], I go for turning off Bluetooth briefly.

• Reply 10 of 18
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Starting with iOS 9, Apple has added a new option for Bluetooth devices: Open Settings, select Bluetooth, then tap the "i" circle button to the right of the accessory. From there, you can see the new "Disconnect" option, alongside the legacy "Forget This Device" choice.

By selecting Disconnect, users can keep a Bluetooth accessory among their list of stored wireless devices.

This new option will make it easier for users to switch control to another iPhone or iPad or another device, especially with legacy Bluetooth accessories that do not support connections from multiple devices. It also negates the need to once again go through the pairing process to "re-learn" a Bluetooth accessory and use it....

Kudos Apple for all the little features!

• Reply 11 of 18

I'd never sat down to analyze why using multiple Bluetooth devices was occasionally a frustrating experience. Now, I realize what it was and can do something about it. It never occurred to me the "disconnect" option that I use frequently on my Macs never existed in my iOS devices...until now.

• Reply 12 of 18

its definitely annoying -- say you and your partner share a pair of BT headphones...it's a drag to have to repair on you device each time you switch up using it. im not sure but if this allows one to just disconnect it fix that.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

its definitely annoying -- say you and your partner share a pair of BT headphones...it's a drag to have to repair on you device each time you switch up using it. im not sure but if this allows one to just disconnect it fix that.

Yikes... looks like AI just reposted an old article, with the old comments, without warning or clarification! Weird, and a tad confusing (it happened at least once before).

It you'll notice, my comment was from July 30!

• Reply 14 of 18
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

EDIT: Deleted because this is an old article

• Reply 15 of 18
    Wow this is really a thing in 2015?! The whole purpose of Bluetooth pairing was to pair and leave them paired. So up until iOS9, iPhones were unable to disconnect from accessories? What happens when you have Bluetooth earbuds (for music) and a Bluetooth input on your car stereo and a bluetooth headset (for calls)? I am boggled that this feature has been lacking for almost 8-9 years (first iPhone was released in 2007).

And this is why I really just can't use an iPhone. They always seem to be missing very important elements. Like the first couple generation iPhones were completely incapable of sending and receiving MMS messages.

I am glad to see them eventually adding in "innovative and new" features like Bluetooth disable in 2015! I am hoping next year they will invent Wireless Charging and Homescreen widgets.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Yikes... looks like AI just reposted an old article, with the old comments, without warning or clarification! Weird, and a tad confusing (it happened at least once before).

It you'll notice, my comment was from July 30!

<facepalm> Lol! It had me thinking too... wait?... what?...huh? Haven't I seen this reported before? Thanks for the heads up :smokey:
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I wish the battery widget went further and would report the levels in my MacBook and iPad; this would be true continuity. It doesn't have to report over BY it can do it over wifi as well (although BT is prob more power saving.)
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dparlowdparlow Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have a Logitech bluetooth audio adapter. When i use the "Disconnect" feature on my iPhone 6 and switch to another bluetooth device the Logitech keeps spontaneously reconnecting thereby cutting out the other device.  
    do you know how to remedy this ?

thanks