Inside iOS 9: Apple's Notes app is greatly enhanced with drawings, lists, pictures, links & more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Anylist has a web version. You may have to upgrade. I also use Anylist as my wife and I shop in different areas of the store and can see what's just been marked off.

I have just abandoned my google emails and calendars to go back to Apple mail and calendar. The Continuity between my 5 APPL devices, uh, just works. Uh, perfectly. Uh every single stinkin time.

And I'm not a product. The only thing I really used in Gmail was the font formatting. Oh, I see Apple mail has that too. And the encryption available on AppleMail is reassuring.

Google is doomed!!
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Love the new features, but As mentioned really need "notebooks" with subgroups
    I get sort and all but I have, at a basic level, personal and business notes.

Does its photo input support ocr? Does it's drawing part have handwriting recognition? To make stuff searchable for me. (Evernote handles receipts well, but would prefer to use notes)
  • Reply 23 of 62
    OSX Notes.app stopped working here since Yosemite. Crashes right after booting. Doesn't matter which machine, home, work, clean install or not, tried it all repeatedly. Sent bug reports to Apple. On iOS it works just fine.

All my other notes apps work flawlessly. I'll take another look when El Capitan arrives. If it doesn't work by then, I'll abandon Notes indefinitely.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I use the native OS X and iOS notes apps daily. Not much out there that trumps either of them in ease of use and convenience.

Great to see them get some love.

The El Capitan version of Notes is a lot like this but seems to lack many of the iOS 9 features for creation sadly, unless i haven't found out how yet! Which is entirely possible. So many new things to mess with!
  • Reply 25 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    OSX Notes.app stopped working here since Yosemite. Crashes right after booting. Doesn't matter which machine, home, work, clean install or not, tried it all repeatedly. Sent bug reports to Apple. On iOS it works just fine.

All my other notes apps work flawlessly. I'll take another look when El Capitan arrives. If it doesn't work by then, I'll abandon Notes indefinitely.

Notes works flawlessly on Yosemite and still does with the new version in El Capitan. I have 6 different Macs here I test on. So there is something screwed up your end. I'd suggest deleting the iCloud connection to Notes in System Settings and start over, Notes may have become corrupted in setting up the iCloud side of things.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    s'harien wrote: »
    Apparently so did you. That's orange, not yellow.

Not so sure...it seems to be a visual ref to the iOS 6 version of Notes, which itself was referencing legal pads. Which are yellow, not orange.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    I'm all in if there is some sort of organizational system ... like folders!
  • Reply 28 of 62
    I wish they would add the ability to change text color, not just drawing color, on mobile. It's always been in the desktop version, and I hope it's not removed, as it's handy for categorization.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndAmendNut View Post

I'm all in if there is some sort of organizational system ... like folders!

OH YES!

For now, I use Notes app as a reminder app. Having folders will make writing a LOT more easier.

• Reply 30 of 62
    This looks very promising but there is a still a "flaw." Well, not really a flaw but... Why is it that any Notes, Numbers, Pages or Keynote is there not a "backup" like the Photos app (Recently Deleted)? I would consider using Notes with iOS 9 if they did what Evernote does: when you delete a note, it puts it in Trash. Just an idea.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    I really don't like the new keyboard !
  • Reply 32 of 62
    iosguru wrote: »

Having folders will make writing a LOT more easier.

It has folders - can only go one deep.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

One of these days I'll start using Notes and stop using Text Edit like I've been doing since the dawn of time.

• Reply 34 of 62
    Never mind!

"Folders would make it clutch. For now I use Notability. Would love to use the native app, being such an Apple fanboy, but I have tons of notes organized in folders. The new features of notes are awesome."
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

You should be able to print as a PDF file right in Grab to eliminate a second App to convert it.

agreed, 

when you make a note with interleaved drawings and scribbles, it ould be nice to email someone a pdf so that the scribbles and text remain fixed at proper locations. Even pages etc... does do this

• Reply 36 of 62

Although it's still not on a par with Evernote's functionality, I've started using it a bit more in an effort to move away from Evernote, especially given their increasing, "Upgrade," insistences that keep appearing whenever I use the damn thing. Not that I blame them, they're a company, they need to make money, free users provide nothing to them, but I expect their messages and warnings only to increase over time (equally likely, their free services to decrease), so it'd be nice to have a platform to which I can migrate everything I keep in Evernote. Hopefully, we'll see more functionality incorporated into Notes (e.g. notebooks or embedded folders, and tags for starters).

• Reply 37 of 62

Um... apologies for a stupid question, but why does my Notes on iOS 9.0.1 not show the camera, sketch etc. icons? Is it because it might be set to MobileMe as a 'default account' (in Settings --> Notes).

• Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Notes works flawlessly on Yosemite and still does with the new version in El Capitan. I have 6 different Macs here I test on. So there is something screwed up your end. I'd suggest deleting the iCloud connection to Notes in System Settings and start over, Notes may have become corrupted in setting up the iCloud side of things.

i have issues too- if i add some scribble in a note, and more text on my iPhone, it never syncs with mac running yosemite.

also if a interleave scribble and test, and email it, it moves all the scribble to then end in the email. weak.

• Reply 39 of 62
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

OK, native Notes app is enhanced in IOS-9 but what about native Calendar APP ? That app is a dog for the last many ios iterations. Apple, do SOME enhancements about Calendar App in IOS9

In what way is it a dog? What enhancements are you looking for?

• Reply 40 of 62
    What is more sinister is that Safari is now allowing ad blocking. Guess who is going to suffer more, and who is going to benifit the most.