Apple, Samsung agree to mediate California patent dispute

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 29
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    ...why doesn't Apple just create their own fab factories. Hire the knowledge base, buy the equipment and start small.

    Would never make financial sense unless Apple sold chips to everyone.

    Pretty soon there's not going to be anyone else left to buy chips.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Your use of the word 'fab' is what sparked discussion.

    I meant fabrication. The other meaning does open up other possibilities to my meaning though LOL.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    The original suit was based on the fact Apple claimed the stolen patents and design was harming Apple. Considering that during the last quarter Apple took over 93% of all cell phone profits - this is no longer the case. Samsung continues on a downward spiral; rumor has it they may lay off over 10,000; their latest Galaxy S6 was a total failure. Apple can no longer prove Samsungs stolen patents and design have harmed Apple financially.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Your use of the word 'fab' is what sparked discussion.

    I meant fabrication. The other meaning does open up other possibilities to my meaning though LOL.

    I know you meant fabrication, but the reality is that Apple technically doesn't fabricate anything. Samsung fabricates chips, and Apple needs that. Samsung also needs Apple to buy those chips. I would've wholeheartedly agreed with you had you simply said 'Samsung needs Apple's business'.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    I know you meant fabrication, but the reality is that Apple technically doesn't fabricate anything. Samsung fabricates chips, and Apple needs that. Samsung also needs Apple to buy those chips. I would've wholeheartedly agreed with you had you simply said 'Samsung needs Apple's business'.

    and I believe that is want they meant.

    Samsung needs Apple (so they can fabricate the chips for Apple, thus "Sammy needs Apple's fab business").

  • Reply 26 of 29
    chris_ca wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I know you meant fabrication, but the reality is that Apple technically doesn't fabricate anything. Samsung fabricates chips, and Apple needs that. Samsung also needs Apple to buy those chips. I would've wholeheartedly agreed with you had you simply said 'Samsung needs Apple's business'.
    and I believe that is want they meant.
    Samsung needs Apple (so they can fabricate the chips for Apple, thus "Sammy needs Apple's fab business").

    The wording is tricky, 'Apple's fab business' would suggest that the one in business of fabrication is Apple instead of Samsung.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,875moderator
    More than half of iPhone 6S/6S+ handsets have an A9 CPU manufactured by TSMC. Tear downs, and an independently developed app that determines which company the chip is from, found that overall 59% of the 6S series are powered by the TSMC chips, with the other 41% powered by Samsung chips.

    I imagine Apple saying to Sammy, 'we just don't feel comfortable giving you the majority of our CPU business while this patent lawsuit remains unresolved.' Could that be the lever used to drag Sammy into the medications that are scheduled for October/November? And the same lever that will provide a favorable result in those medications for Apple? Certainly, Samsung buys nothing from Apple, and as they say... the customer is always right.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
Sign In or Register to comment.