Pixar staff gets early chance to test iPad Pro & Apple Pencil

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
Apple recently brought the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil to the award winning Hollywood filmmakers at Pixar, giving the studio's digital animation wizards an early sneak-peek at its upcoming technology.

"Lovely of our friends from Apple to stop by to let us take iPad Pro & Pencil for a test drive," commented Michael Johnson, the lead of a Pixar team that creates the tools for animating its movies. In response to a question on Twitter, Johnson claimed that the Pro had "perfect palm rejection as far as we were able to see."

Palm rejection is essential for people doing handwriting or illustration on tablet, since touchscreens otherwise can't distinguish a palm from the tip of a finger or stylus.

Apple is presumably hoping to sell Pixar on adopting the Pro, since some of Apple's main targets for the product are professionals in illustration and 3D modeling.

The two corporations already have close ties. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was once the CEO of Pixar, and after Pixar was taken over by Disney, he became that company's largest individual shareholder and a member of the board of directors. Current Disney CEO Bob Iger sits on the Apple board, and Jobs' widow -- Laurene Powell Jobs -- now controls his Disney shares.

The iPad Pro is due to ship sometime in November, and features a 12.9-inch screen specifically designed to be more responsive to touch input. The Pencil is a separate accessory that will cost $99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPad Pro looks great. But as with any professional product it'll live or die by what software it offers. Apple should be courting Adobe to bring full PS to iPad Pro. That alone would be huge for this product.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ireland wrote: »
    iPad Pro looks great. But as with any professional product it'll live or die by what software it offers. Apple should be courting Adobe to bring full PS to iPad Pro. That alone would be huge for this product.
    My guess is that most of the graphics software co's will be working very hard to get their apps out asap after launch. A full version of Photoshop might be overkill, though, don't you think? I imagine many more dedicated single purpose apps will be available on launch or soon thereafter.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPad Pro looks great. 

Hell yeah it does! 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But as with any professional product it'll live or die by what software it offers. Apple should be courting Adobe to bring full PS to iPad Pro. That alone would be huge for this product.

Except it would have to be completely rethought & redesigned. It's not like Photoshop has some magical greatness that makes it great for sketching, in fact, in some ways it kinda blows. It's just that that's what everyone uses because it's the best-ish thing out there right now. But that's rapidly changing. And now that apps like ProCreate can export to psd, if you absolutely have to use Photoshop you can. And now that artists & designers don't have to be tethered to a Mac to get a great sketching experience, there's even less of a necessity for Photoshop. I'm sure Adobe will get around to it eventually, but it's hardly a necessity at this point. 

• Reply 4 of 30
    "Current Disney CEO Bob Iger sits on the Apple board, and Jobs' widow -- Laurene Powell Jobs -- now controls his Disney shares."

That was very nice of Mr. Iger!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Cool. This is really great. But they should have been part of the development in the early process.

Feedback #1. Can you make a bigger version for in house production use?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Assume you're thinking more of "AI".

• Reply 7 of 30
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Astropad will support iPad Pro out of the box.  This will let you use the iPad Pro as a Wacom Cintiq replacement with Photoshop etc. on the Mac. 

• Reply 8 of 30
    I would hope that Apple would have had professional feedback prior to releasing this. I believe that Apple will release a larger iPad down the road when things make sense to do so. This is the next best logical progression. Much larger form would be too tailored to PRO users. This one handles consumers and pros which will drive more volume.

Too bad the article did not include more of the feedback that was acquired by the pixar team...
  • Reply 9 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

I would hope that Apple would have had professional feedback prior to releasing this. I believe that Apple will release a larger iPad down the road when things make sense to do so. This is the next best logical progression. Much larger form would be too tailored to PRO users. This one handles consumers and pros which will drive more volume.

Too bad the article did not include more of the feedback that was acquired by the pixar team...

Kind of like a drafting table and they sit up to it and work?

• Reply 10 of 30
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

The code base for PS must be gargantuan after so many years. It's not something they could port quickly with a finite number of developers who really understand large portions of it. I also wouldn't expect to see it conform to app store pricing conventions. You will probably see an iPad version added to your creative cloud subscription at some point.

• Reply 11 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I was in the market for the New MacBook, and now, I'm reconsidering my options: 128GB iPad Pro + Keyboard + Pencil or 12" Macbook at ~$1200.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm sure they solicited advice from a few select professionals in the industry (perhaps even a few at Pixar).

But given the highly secretive nature of Apple's product developments, I guessing they wanted to keep the number of advisors to a minimum.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    palegolas wrote: »
    Cool. This is really great. But they should have been part of the development in the early process.

Feedback #1. Can you make a bigger version for in house production use?

Answer #1. You'll have to wait a couple more years. All larger oxide-backed display production capacity is directed toward Macbook, iMac and monitors for the near future.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    "After Pixar was taken over by Disney, he became that company's largest individual shareholder and a member of the board of directors."

Jobs became the largest shareholder of Disney??.... (This was never clear to me?)...Does that mean Laurene Powell has a controlling stake in Disney?...Which owns ESPN?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Whilst a full blown version of Photoshop is probably pushing things too far, I fail to see why we couldn't at least see a near-desktop like port of Lightroom for the iPad Pro. Even if it can't handle the catalogs, I'd love to see an iPad Pro version of Lightroom with the full develop module! For travelling photographers, that would be soooooo cool :-)
  • Reply 16 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ireland wrote: »
    Apple should be courting Adobe to bring full PS to iPad Pro. That alone would be huge for this product.

The easier route to go would be something that works like Handoff. You'd have a comp in Photoshop on a Mac and need to add a sketch. Having the iPad near the computer would send the current comp wirelessly over to the iPad. You can then sketch on the iPad and changes would be synced back onto the Mac. This can be an image layer sync and the layers on the iPad project wouldn't have to be the same as on the Mac. The Mac project might have 100 layers open and you can just create a single linked layer to the iPad and the iPad can be working with a single layer to save memory and performance. Linking with iCloud or Creative Cloud would be useful too, especially in a business as a freelance or just remote artist could sketch something outside the office, link it with the cloud and people in the business can be using the layer in comps and adding to it with version controls and locking.

Having the full set of plugins and masking features from Adobe apps would be good to have for people who want to only use an iPad without a Mac and to use when mobile but the sales numbers would have to justify the development and support cost. If the pen worked on all iPads it would be more worthwhile adding fuller software support because then you hit a portion of ~70 million per year instead of likely <10 million per year starting at ~$900 with the Pencil and $1067 with keyboard too. Every iPad could use these accessories.

The price is high for a tablet but for graphics artists, it competes with the following 13" touch display Wacom at $999:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Cintiq-Touch-Tablet-DTH1300K/dp/B00U2K20H4

If the user experience can rival that then it offers more functionality for the price.

Big software developers will likely bring more and more features to mobile versions of their software over time. Mobile devices aren't going away and they aren't going to revert back to using legacy UIs so they have to keep redesigning parts of their software to work with touch. Modern tablets have only been around for 5 years vs over 30 years for traditional computers and it takes time to assess the demand and rewrite millions of lines of code. Part of the consideration is to do with the audience too. Like with Nintendo, they can put out the platform, developers can put out the software but if the audience that uses the platform isn't interested in that particular software then it won't sell. The iPad audience is primarily a consumer rather than producer audience so if pro apps are to be successful on that platform, they need to get an audience of producers using the platform as one of their main productive platforms. Pencil and keyboard accessories will help with this as well as cloud syncing of files.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    geekmee wrote: »
    "After Pixar was taken over by Disney, he became that company's largest individual shareholder and a member of the board of directors."

Jobs became the largest shareholder of Disney??.... (This was never clear to me?)...Does that mean Laurene Powell has a controlling stake in Disney?...Which owns ESPN?

You are conflating two very different issues. The largest shareholder owns more stock than any other shareholder. Every publicly owned corporation has one. It is not a given that the largest shareholder owns enough stock to control the corporation.

BTW, Disney is diversified media company and is second only to Comcast as the largest media holdings. ESPN is among Disney's many business interests. This makes Laurene Powell Jobs the largest shareholder of the company that owns 80% of ESPN.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Affinity Design & Photo look like they're getting adapted to iPad Pro, with reworked interface. Can't wait!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

Yes, largest individual shareholder. But I think that was something like 7.7% , which is far from a controlling stake.

• Reply 20 of 30
    It would be nice if they can get a professional 3D modeling app like Cinema 4D or Maya running on it.