Apple's enterprise business made $25B in past 12 months, Tim Cook says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
During an interview at the BoxWorks 2015 conference on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed enterprise sales generated $25 billion over the past 12 months, or roughly 14 percent of the company's revenue for the trailing year.

Source: Tim Cook via Twitter

Cook dropped the number on Box CEO Aaron Levie during a one-on-one interview focusing on Apple's history, and future, in enterprise, reports USA Today.

"If you look at the last 12 months, (enterprise sales were) $25 billion," Cook said. "This is not a hobby. This is a real business."

After rising to a dominant position in the consumer space, Apple has bolstered its position in enterprise through strategic partnerships, including a tie-up with old rival IBM. Under the "MobileFirst for iOS" banner, IBM markets a wide range of business software solutions running natively on Apple hardware. The effort is even making inroads into education, another wellspring of revenue for Apple.

"If you think back in time, Apple and IBM were foes. Apple and Microsoft were foes," Cook says. "But if you look at it, Microsoft and Apple can work on more things together. It is great for our customers. That is why we do it. I don't believe in grudges."

Box, too, partnered with IBM in June, bringing its cloud collaboration smarts to products like MobileFirst for iOS. Box SVP of Product and Platform Chris Yeh told AppleInsider the first app offerings should hit market before year's end.

As for Apple's future, enterprise represents a major area of potential growth, Cook said. Aside from its unified hardware and software ecosystem, a plus for business deployments, Apple needs to partner with companies already well established in vertical markets, as seen with IBM and Cisco.

"We're in the early days of what we can do," Cook said. "My gosh, we haven't started yet."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Holy crow! Sure would like to see a breakdown of the specific sources of that income. Software, hardware, services? Mobile, desktop?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Incredible.

My AAPL is for the next ten years.
  • Reply 3 of 26

That sound you just heard was my jaw hitting the floor!

• Reply 4 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yeah I read about this. I used Tim wants to go in hard into enterprise.

Apparently MS and IBM wanna help Apple here too.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Holy crow! Sure would like to see a breakdown of the specific sources of that income. Software, hardware, services? Mobile, desktop?

85% hardware. ipads for schools, phones for corps.

my company (300k employees) does not offer Android as a BYOD option for BBerry... 

Apple doesn't really have services, per se.. not Enterprise level stuff anyway.. what else could it be?

• Reply 6 of 26
    Sweet baby jeezus that is a wad of dough! Tim said they haven't even begun yet. That sent chills down my nerdy spine.:D
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Still doomed though
  • Reply 8 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's a toy. Doomed™.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    My God, that's a lot of money for a company that sells devices with a "toy" OS.
  • Reply 10 of 26

You do realize that much of that is Macs, right?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    You do realize that much of that is Macs, right?

Really? And you have a source for that?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    The Apple/IBM efforts have only seen minor recent IBM actions and what Mr Cook thinks Apple is selling into the enterprise is some twisted calculation of what they now constitute as enterprise.
    One wonders how much of this deceit the narcissistic executives of Apple believe.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Sweet baby jeezus that is a wad of dough! Tim said they haven't even begun yet. That sent chills down my nerdy spine.:D

Not according to Fortune tonight. That $25 billion is just a fraction of Apple's $200 billion in revenue. Oh well.
  • Reply 14 of 26

You mean that's a lot for a toy company.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    So how much Google made from Enterprise business? Do they even have one?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should manufacture a Mac tablet.

• Reply 17 of 26

orange and blue asics, cloud socks with half-mast trousers to show off said socks. o_0

• Reply 18 of 26
    That's incredible. BUT, as much as I like the partnership with IBM, me being a network engineer has to wonder what Apple will be doing with Cisco....when I read about that partnership I went nuts. It'll be interesting to see...to say the least.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Really? And you have a source for that?

The source you gave isn't any better than TheWhiteFalcon's. Besides, you need a source for non-data? "Much" is such a vague number that it's meaningless, and pretty interesting that you got defensive about it. Macs are probably a decent share, though I don't think anyone other than Apple knows anything better than a rough estimate.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am shocked by the level of success in such a short time. I agree with others, Macs must play a large roll too now and going forward which is thrilling. I am also staggered by the $200 Billion in one year number over all, that is just mind blowing!