Apple Music, iTunes Movies and iBooks debut in China

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Apple announced a major expansion to its digital content offerings on Wednesday local China time as the company introduced the huge Asian market to Apple Music, iTunes Movies and iBooks services.

For the first time ever, Chinese customers will be granted access to an Apple Music catalog of songs numbering in the millions featuring Chinese artists Eason Chan, Li Ronghao, JJ Lin and G.E.M., as well as worldwide stars Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and more, the company said in a press release. Alongside music, iTunes Movies delivers films from both China and Hollywood, while iBooks opens the door to both free and paid ebooks.

"Customers in China love the App Store and have made it our largest market in the world for app downloads," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "One of the top requests has been more great content and we're thrilled to bring music, movies and books to China, curated by a local team of experts."

Three-month Apple Music trials start on Sept. 30 in China, the same day free-to-try services are scheduled to end in the U.S. Following the trial period, Chinese customers will be charged a 10 RMB per month fee for single-use accounts, or 15 RMB per month for family plans.

iTunes Movies will carry international blockbusters as well as offerings from local studios like Bona, Huayi Brothers and 1905. To commemorate today's launch, Apple is offering "The Taking of Tiger Mountain" as a free download for a limited time.

Finally, the iBooks Store has been filled with a variety of Chinese language books including "Big Head Son & Little Head Dad" by Zheng Chunhua and "The Family Belongings of Chinese People" by Ma Hongjie. Apple's digital storefront will also be the first to offer Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" series for purchase.

China has quickly become one of Apple's most important sales regions as the company moves beyond device-saturated markets like North America and Europe. This year, for example, the company included China as an iPhone launch country for the first time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    This should be interesting. If Apple can convince a good percentage of Chinese consumers to abandon stolen and pirated digital content, it will be historic.
  • Reply 2 of 13

Has Michael Bromwich been sent to China to investigate about possible conspiracy ?

• Reply 3 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I thought these were already available?

Rake in the cash Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    in case you were wondering...

RMB10 = USD$1.57

which is still much better than $0 which is what most people pay for content in china.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I wonder if Twilight is any better in Chinese
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rulebreaker View Post

in case you were wondering...

RMB10 = USD$1.57

or about 9 hours of work, according to Sorkin

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This should be interesting. If Apple can convince a good percentage of Chinese consumers to abandon stolen and pirated digital content, it will be historic.

That would indeed be interesting.

I was going to be happy just for Apple to have so many new customers. But if they could actually have affect on pirated content there; your right, historic.

• Reply 8 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

It remains to be seen how much earned from this for the content owners. Isn't it funny how cheap it is when iPhones are not cheap there.

• Reply 9 of 13
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    ireland wrote: »
    It remains to be seen how much earned from this for the content owners. Isn't it funny how cheap it is when iPhones are not cheap there.
    Well counterfeit iPhones don't work with the Apple Store. They still have counterfeit App stores via jailbroken devices.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It could not be any worse.

• Reply 11 of 13
    The analysts have wasted no time shouting failure. These are most likely the same analysts who shouting Apple needed a cheap iPhone for China. ????
  • Reply 12 of 13
    charlituna wrote: »

The Chinese have a gleat feal of Vampiles...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    charlituna wrote: »

The Chinese have a gleat feal of Vampiles...

That's just wrong, funny as hell, but so so wrong. :lol: