Major League Baseball updates rules to allow iPads in dugouts, with restrictions

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
Beginning on Monday, Major League Baseball rules will allow the iPad in dugouts for some tasks like checking charts, statistics, and scouting reports, according to an official announcement.

Initially, at least, the decision won't have any major impact on how games are played. Teams previously had access to the same information, just in paper form, making today's rollout largely about speed and convenience.

The league is also imposing strict limitations on how iPads can operate, as a way of deterring cheating. Authorized devices cannot connect to a Wi-Fi network, and teams can only use information transferred before the first pitch is thrown.

At least one team, the St. Louis Cardinals, was allowed to test iPads before today's formal rollout.

Tablets are becoming increasingly common in professional sports. In 2013 Microsoft scored a deal making the Surface the official tablet of the National Football League, though the ubiquity of the iPad in popular culture has led to problems with game announcers confusing the two products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    The cheating Cardinals got to use it first? Not a good idea.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The cheating Cardinals got to use it first? Not a good idea.

Cubs fan?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    No doubt Microsoft will pay MLB millions of dollars to use Surfaces, like they did with the NFL.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jungmark wrote: »
    Cubs fan?

No, I'm referring to the way they hacked the Astros. I couldn't care less about the Cubs.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    No, I'm referring to the way they hacked the Astros. I couldn't care less about the Cubs.

They were found to have not used this information to gain any competitive advantage. This wasn't cheating, it was trying to make a former employee look bad.
  • Reply 6 of 12

Baseball is important in how many countries?  Oh. yeah, one.  Still there's always the World Series, where world is defined as, one country.  Wonderful.

• Reply 7 of 12
    Baseball is important in how many countries?  Oh. yeah, one.  Still there's always the World Series, where world is defined as, one country.  Wonderful.

I know a guy who is Taiwanese, lives in Taipei and is a huge New York Yankees fan. I know some Chinese people who live in a coastal city in China and they're huge Kobe Bryant fans. Sports are global.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sociable Weaver View Post

Even though it is Canada, baseball is played in two countries thank you very much...

• Reply 9 of 12
    razorpit wrote: »

Even though it is Canada, baseball is played in two countries thank you very much...

Baseball is also very popular in Japan.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Baseball is also very popular in Japan.

And don't forget most of Latin America and Korea thanks to the Pirates and Jung Ho Kang!*

*Insert comment about ignorant Europeans who are self centered and think soccer is the only sport in the world.

• Reply 11 of 12
    The problem with iPads with WiFi in dugouts is that it allows cheating teams to relay the catcher's pitch signals to the pitcher from a spotter hidden somewhere in the general seating. Stealing signs is a long-standing baseball problem. Much bigger issue for baseball than for other sports, since in those sports the signals are not given so openly.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

And it just might be played in two countries all the way till November this year :smokey: