Apple hypes Wednesday's launch of free OS X 10.11 El Capitan Mac update

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

I

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have a Mid 2010 15" MBP otherwise known as the "Edsel of Macs". Many of these computers had a defect in the Nvidia graphics card, many did not. My computer never exhibited the defect. That is, it didn't until I installed Yosemite. I started getting GPU panics and the computer crashes. I have the gfxCardStatus app installed that let's me force the computer to the Intel motherboard chipset and the crashes stop. Of course any decent graphics performance stops as well. Naturally the Apple program to fix this defect is long ended so I don't have much recourse.

Wondering if anyone has installed El Capitan on a Mid 2010 MBP?

eek.  I'm in the exact same boat. At first the crashes weren't too bad but it seems more frequent these days especially with that godawful Flash player junk. It's KP'd a few times. And gfx weirdness waking from sleep sometimes.  I mainly use the intel gfx with Cody's tool, too. I don't really need the horsepower from the discrete card often so that is fine most of the time. However, I spent over two grand on it. I kind of feel Apple should give us a discount on a new MBP or something.  I am on 10.6.8. Also wondering how El cap is on our beautiful Edsel.

• Reply 42 of 46
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Well I'm still on Mavericks so I'll likely wait a little while longer and see what is stuffed this time.  Once upon a time, most Apple OS releases just worked. 

This must have been before 1989, because I've been around for every system update since then (6.0.7 onwards), and NONE of the major releases have ever been bug-free. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Been running the Public Beta GM build for a few weeks now, fantastic upgrade and well worth the money ????
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Been running the Public Beta GM build for a few weeks now, fantastic upgrade and well worth the money ????

What are you talking about? The upgrade is free.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Rather ironic, really.

• Reply 46 of 46

Pretty sure he was joking, hence the smiley.