Apple releases OS X 10.11 El Capitan with Safari 9, new Spotlight search, Split View, more...

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2020
Apple on Wednesday released to the public the completed OS X 10.11 El Capitan, making a variety of enhancements to features like Safari and Spotlight, while simultaneously ramping up Mac performance.

Spotlight now lets users search for files and other content in natural language, and access new kinds of information such as weather, stocks, and public transit schedules. Some other system-wide feature additions include a Split View fullscreen mode, a more streamlined Mission Control, and a series of upgrades to Chinese and Japanese language support, such as new fonts and better keyboard and trackpad input.

Safari now supports pinned tabs, pushing Web video via AirPlay, and muting tabs via the Smart Search field. Maps users can search for the aforementioned public transit info, and also push directions to an iPhone, much like Google Maps.

Mail has gained a redesigned fullscreen view, iOS-style swipe gestures for marking or deleting items, and the ability to quickly add contacts and Calendar events based on message content.

Again mimicking iOS, El Capitan's new Notes app supports checklists and attaching photos, videos, URLs, and map locations. Support for the app extends throughout OS X, for example letting users share a webpage as a note while in Safari.

The Photos app has been improved with support for third-party editing extensions, and more options for sorting albums and tagging faces and locations.

Games and other graphics-intense apps should run faster thanks to the addition of Apple's Metal technology. The company is promising speedier performance in general though, in areas such as app launch, task switching, and PDF viewing.

The El Capitan upgrade is a free download available through the Mac App Store. Safari 9 is also available to users of OS X Yosemite, though that version doesn't support pinned tabs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    Nothing in the App Store
  • Reply 2 of 72

Safari 9 is there for Yosemite

No sign of El Capitan yet

• Reply 3 of 72

Apple is on fire. New iPhones, Apple TV, iPad Pro, iOS9 and now this. 

• Reply 4 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

Safari 9 is there for Yosemite

No sign of El Capitan yet

It's showing for me. It's right there at the top of the main App Store page. 

• Reply 5 of 72
    There hasn't been a lot of talk about El Cap content blockers. Does anyone know of any good ones from their time on the Beta program?
  • Reply 6 of 72

Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Nothing in the App Store

Try searching for "el capitan".

• Reply 7 of 72
    Click on this link to get to the El Capitan Download in the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1018109117?mt=12

By default, Its not showing in available updates.

-Sri
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Cant see any update on mac app store
  • Reply 9 of 72
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

It's showing for me. It's right there at the top of the main App Store page. 

Seems it hasn't made its way through all of Apple's servers. It's not showing up for me yet either - as an update or on the main App Store page.

• Reply 10 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Try searching for "el capitan".

Yep. Downloading now. Showing as 6.08GB

• Reply 11 of 72
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    iOS9 and 10.11 are both incredibly awesome releases from Apple. They've both been solid as a rock for me.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    If you have Office 2016, don't download El Cap yet, Microsoft is still working on a fix, ETA unknown. 2011 appears to be unaffected.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Does anybody realize how stupid it makes you look with all the “I can’t find it posts”? Get a clue, get a life, seek help for your instant gratification disorder. I think they have pills for that now.

• Reply 14 of 72
    atlapple wrote: »

Apple is on fire. New iPhones, Apple TV, iPad Pro, iOS9 and now this. 

So...the same release schedule as every year since 2012? Sure, there's a new Apple TV but there also wasn't an update to the core iPad for the first time ever.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Pushing directions to iPhone- not a new feature.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Pushing directions to iPhone- not a new feature.

It is for transit directions. 

• Reply 17 of 72
    It doesn't show up here in NZ yet but if you search the App Store for El Capitan it shows up but it is not on the main page.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Does anybody realize how stupid it makes you look with all the “I can’t find it posts”? Get a clue, get a life, seek help for your instant gratification disorder. I think they have pills for that now.

Why so grouchy today?

• Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Do you realise how stupid it makes you look railing on people eager for the update when the article says that Apple HAS released it?