Apple releases iOS 9.0.2 with fixes for cellular data, iMessage activation, Podcasts app stability,

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple on Wednesday issued yet another maintenance and security update for its newly released iOS 9 mobile operating system, marking the second bug squashing for the platform in the past week.

iOS 9.0.2 is now available to download for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The update is available over the air through the iOS Settings application, or via iTunes on a Mac or PC.

According to Apple, iOS 9.0.2 addresses the following issues:
  • Fixes an issue with the setting to turn on or off app cellular data usage
  • Resolves an issue that prevented iMessage activation for some users
  • Resolves an issue where an iCloud backup could be interrupted after starting a manual backup
  • Fixes an issue where the screen could incorrectly rotate when receiving notifications
  • Improves the stability of Podcasts
iOS 9.0.2 arrives one week after iOS 9.0.1 was released to the public. Like that build, there was no beta of iOS 9.0.2 issued to developers.

While iOS 9.0.2 is a relatively minor update, Apple is expected to introduce more significant fixes, and potentially new features, with iOS 9.1. A third beta of that upcoming software update was released to developers on Wednesday.

Apple will also release OS X 10.11 El Capitan, its next-generation Mac operating system, later in the day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I just want the ?Music UI and bugs fixed and the News app to feel more complete. Having to visit an articles website for the full story kills the whole point of the app.
  • Reply 2 of 30

This fixes the lock screen security flaw as well.

• Reply 3 of 30

Downloading now. It's 72.5 mb on the 6s Plus OTA. 

• Reply 4 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

...News app to feel more complete. Having to visit an articles website for the full story kills the whole point of the app.

That's not up to Apple. Those articles that require you to follow through to the site are just RSS blurbs. It's up to the site developer to push the entire article out.

Back on topic...

I just got around upgrading to 9.0.1 not more than an hour ago!

10.11 must be on its way out the "door"... just received an update for Safari 9.0 as well.

• Reply 5 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I've been having some serious bugs with Apple Music the past few days. I can't get any music to play over cellular and some songs in playlists are grayed out. Sometimes I'll get a popup that says the request timed out or the song cannot be downloaded (downloaded from/to where?!?) and today after I subscribed I got a popup several times asking me to subscribe again only to get another popup saying I was already a subscriber. I seriously sometimes shake my head thinking I can't believe this piece of software came from Apple. If Spotify had an Apple Watch app and playlists could be synced to the Watch I would be cancelling Apple Music in an instant. Spotify may not be perfect but I never had basic issues and some of the crap I'm experiencing with Apple Music. Get it together Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've been having some serious bugs with Apple Music the past few days. I can't get any music to play over cellular and some songs in playlists are grayed out. Sometimes I'll get a popup that says the request timed out or the song cannot be downloaded (downloaded from/to where?!?) and today after I subscribed I got a popup several times asking me to subscribe again only to get another popup saying I was already a subscriber. I seriously sometimes shake my head thinking I can't believe this piece of software came from Apple. If Spotify had an Apple Watch app and playlists could be synced to the Watch I would be cancelling Apple Music in an instant.

This might not be relevant to your situation, but I was having issues downloading songs as well. I kept getting an error code or nothing would download and no error message. Turns out, I had too many registered devices, so I wasn't able to download anything on my iPod Touch. I went into iTunes and deleted several devices and now all the downloads work fine. It's worth a shot just to check. Just click on my account in iTunes and see the devices list. If there are 10 and the current one you are using isn't listed, you will have to delete one. 

• Reply 7 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    This might not be relevant to your situation, but I was having issues downloading songs as well. I kept getting an error code or nothing would download and no error message. Turns out, I had too many registered devices, so I wasn't able to download anything on my iPod Touch. I went into iTunes and deleted several devices and now all the downloads work fine. It's worth a shot just to check. Just click on my account in iTunes and see the devices list. If there are 10 and the current one you are using isn't listed, you will have to delete one. 

Nope not my problem. Thing is it was working just a few days ago. Sigh,
  • Reply 8 of 30

Apple also lists that 9.0.2 fixes the security problem of being able to access photos and contacts from the lock screen.  CVE-2015-5923

• Reply 9 of 30
    Are traffic alerts back? I lost them when upgrading from 9 to 9.0.1

It's literally gone from Notification Center and doesn't alert me when leaving locations (like it used to).
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Curious to see if this freezes the lock screen freeze bug. Every few times I unlock the screen on my 6s Plus, the home screen is unresponsive for almost 10 seconds. Seems to be affecting a lot of other people too. Wondering if Apple will quietly fix it in an update, rather than acknowledging the issue.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    iOS 9 has already rendered my 6+ slow. Icons take an extra half-second to react; swiping between home screens stutters; lots of lurching between transitions, and other "death by a thousand cuts." What's frustrating is that most of these issues can't be defined nor described; if I walk in to an Apple Store, I'll be told the same thing over and over again: give it a hard reset. "Move along, next customer, please."

Yes, I've tried turning off Background App this and iCloud Syncing that and all the other ancillary processes that hover in the background. But riddle me this: is this my fault or Apple's? Let's blame the victim is the common sentiment when trying to explain any issue. "Apple is perfect; it's you that needs to change, not the phone."

I'm not a tin foil hat guy, but this makes me believe Apple engineers this in so you're prompted to get the latest and greatest phone.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    iOS 9.x broke syncing of photo albums from iPhone to Apple Watch. Seems small, but it means the new "Photo Album" watch face in watchOS 2 doesn't have anything to show. There's an active thread on this bug in the Apple Support community site.

Hope Apple fixes this soon.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    I am so glad it finally acknowledged the cell data issue!!! I had that problem and it was distressing because I couldn't access to data outside of WiFi.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    But doesn't look like it fixed the iCloud back up bug. Which I would think would be pretty major.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote: 

• Improves the stability of Podcasts

I'd love for Podcasts to give me more than a 10 pixel high bar at the bottom of the screen, sandwiched in just above the menu bar, to make the player go full screen.  It's crazy I have to have surgeon like accuracy on a 6S Plus to make the player controls appear.  Same for the Music app.  Who the hell thought that's a good interface decision?

• Reply 16 of 30
    razorpit wrote: »
    I'd love for Podcasts to give me more than a 10 pixel high bar at the bottom of the screen, sandwiched in just above the menu bar, to make the player go full screen.  It's crazy I have to have surgeon like accuracy on a 6S Plus to make the player controls appear.  Same for the Music app.  Who the hell thought that's a good interface decision?
    Agreed.

Try accessing it while on an LA freeways driving a motorcycle with touchscreen gloves...

Yeah...I'm dead.

Sent from my iHeaven
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

iOS 9.x broke syncing of photo albums from iPhone to Apple Watch. Seems small, but it means the new "Photo Album" watch face in watchOS 2 doesn't have anything to show. There's an active thread on this bug in the Apple Support community site.

Hope Apple fixes this soon.

I'm not seeing that issue with my watch. I have the latest iOS update and watchOS 2. Have you tried selecting different albums or increasing the photo limit in the watch settings?

• Reply 18 of 30
    Does anyone else have issues with Siri? I find that since iOS 9 using my iPhone 6 that the double-beep is no longer present when I press-&-hold the home button to activate Siri.

Personally, I don't use the cloud for music, so continually seeing the phrase "Showing only music on this iPhone" at the top banner of the music app is bothersome.

Finally, I wish we had the option to remove the 'recently added' banner of items - they aren't the only songs I listen to. Just tossing these out there...really enjoy iOS 9 as a whole and I am looking fwd to getting a 6S soon.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Nope not my problem. Thing is it was working just a few days ago. Sigh,
    But did you just add a new phone to the list? Stuff could be piling up. I had some legacy issues like that with the university network security system.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    peterjh3 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have issues with Siri? I find that since iOS 9 using my iPhone 6 that the double-beep is no longer present when I press-&-hold the home button to activate Siri.

It's still here. It doesn't make any noise if you're phone is silenced. It's a good option as you may want it to be quite when you activate it.

Also I noticed with the 6s Plus the always on "hey Siri" feature doesn't work if the light sensor cannot detect some ambient light.

I walk with my headset on and phone in pocket and can never get hey Siri to work.