Apple releases OS X 10.11 El Capitan with Safari 9, new Spotlight search, Split View, more...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

El Capitan is here!

cellent!

And since the build number translates into such a nice green, it gives us all hope ;-)

• Reply 42 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If you have Office 2016, don't download El Cap yet, Microsoft is still working on a fix, ETA unknown. 2011 appears to be unaffected.

Thanks for the info.

• Reply 43 of 72
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    The performance in El Capitan is amazing.

Just amazing.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

There hasn't been a lot of talk about El Cap content blockers. Does anyone know of any good ones from their time on the Beta program?

Ghostery

https://www.ghostery.com/en/try-us/download-add-on/

• Reply 45 of 72
    Split view is the worst implementation of a feature I've ever seen. You can't split view on apps that are already in full screen and you can't split say two Keynote presentations next to each other. Never said this before but Microsoft have such a more effective and intuitive implementation for split screen. Let's hope it's improved and fast
  • Reply 46 of 72
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    atlapple wrote: »
    Apple is on fire. New iPhones, Apple TV, iPad Pro, iOS9 and now this. 

Apple won't truly be "on fire" until they release SkyLake Macs (this Oct. or Nov., preferably). And with regard to the Retina iMac, Apple needs to PUT OUT the fire with regard to heat. Running chips at 100°C is ridiculous. One can understand Apple wants to shift people over to the "properly cooled" Mac Pro, but unless Donald Trump (or Tim Cook) start giving away their cash hoards to average citizens, no one could possibly afford one. All said, we need a fast iMac that's well cooled such that it almost never thermal throttles and will easily last for at least 7 or 8 years like Macs of old used to. If Apple can't do that, then they ought to give us a regular SkyLake i7 Mac Pro that has dual video cards and is in every way faster than the fastest BTO iMac, but at a lower price than the iMac in consideration that the Mac Pro lacks a monitor and mouse and keyboard. There's your "on fire."
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iantimmy123 View Post

Split view is the worst implementation of a feature I've ever seen. You can't split view on apps that are already in full screen and you can't split say two Keynote presentations next to each other. Never said this before but Microsoft have such a more effective and intuitive implementation for split screen. Let's hope it's improved and fast

I have been using an app called Magnet with Yosemite. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magnet/id441258766?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 I find it much more useful than Apple's implementation in El Capitan.

• Reply 48 of 72
    It is estimating a 7 hour download on a fast pope.

Apple can do better
  • Reply 49 of 72

Anyone else notice the changes in Disk Utility?  Has Apple (finally?) dumped "Repair Permissions"?

• Reply 50 of 72
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Yes.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    So far, not impressed. My fan on my 2013 macbook air seems to running non-stop!
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post

Has Apple (finally?) dumped "Repair Permissions"?

Also the ability to burn bootable discs.

• Reply 53 of 72
    Extreme sluggishness after install on my iMac. Reminds me of some of the issues that plagued my OS 9 to OS X transition back in the day. Going from Mavericks to this update directly is a bit of a shocker. To be blunt, I'm seeing a lot of design and UI choices that I do not like so far. Once I'm able to squash the problem issues I may warm up to it a bit more, but upgrade problems are never welcome or pleasant to deal with.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

As last year with Yosemite, I will be grateful to any Bothans who can supply information on whether Adobe CS5 works with El Capitan.

I'm particularly interested in whether Adobe InDesign CS5 has any issues, since Photoshop can now be replaced if necessary (for me anyway) by Affinity Photo.

• Reply 55 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    frank777 wrote: »
    As last year with Yosemite, I will be grateful to any Bothans who can supply information on whether Adobe CS5 works with El Capitan.

I'm particularly interested in whether Adobe InDesign CS5 has any issues, since Photoshop can now be replaced if necessary (for me anyway) by Affinity Photo.

If you stick with CS5, you'll be prompted to reinstall Java. So far, my experience is not good. Everything is very, very slow. I'll know in a day or two if I'll have to wipe everything and do a clean install. If you rely on your computer for work, as of now I can't recommend installing El Capitan.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    I think the best feature is Time Machine not doing automatic backups every hour. I like having to force the backup myself.
  • Reply 57 of 72
  • Reply 58 of 72

Running El Capitan on a brand new 21.5" 2.7GHz i5. First impressions:

Safari scrolling and general performance is much improved, things load faster. I like split screen view initially - for instance, using Safari and Calendar side by side is helpful. 

• Reply 59 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Gave my early 2008 MacBook Pro 15-inch (6GB) new life.

Runs super quiet, and everything's very smooth, especially the animations to do with Mission Control and Launchpad. I ran the betas and they were great as well.

Really impressed so far.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If you stick with CS5, you'll be prompted to reinstall Java. So far, my experience is not good. Everything is very, very slow. I'll know in a day or two if I'll have to wipe everything and do a clean install. If you rely on your computer for work, as of now I can't recommend installing El Capitan.

I'm using CS4 and had the same problem. After installing Java CS4 is really, really slow. CS4 was adequate for the my now limited needs so I hadn't had any reason to update to a new version previously.

Hearts+ was also broken by El Capitan. Anyone know of a decent Hearts game?